Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing foamed tires from skid steer rims

tmc_31 ยท 2021-09-25 09:44

Hey all, been awhile When I bought my latest skid steer about 7 years ago, I installed new tires and had them foamed. They have performed very well, land clearing, demo etc. No flats. Now the tires are wore out, tread ripped off in places, foam showing through. I think I have gotten the goodie out of these tires. Has anybody had any experience removing foamed skid steer tires from the rims? If so, how did you go about it? All suggestions will be appreciated. Tim

Replies9
  1. #1Aarons812021-09-25 09:51

    Cutting the tire off is the only solution ive found so far.

  2. #2John C.2021-09-25 10:18

    What I have seen in the past is people buy new rims and throw away the old ones. It's the bad that you get for the good that you got type of thing.

  3. #3Nige2021-09-25 10:54

    Pile the wheel assemblies up, apply about 5 gallons of diesel and ignite.

  4. #4CM19952021-09-25 10:54

    X2. Spend the money and buy new rims - you'll thank yourself later.

  5. #5Nige2021-09-25 10:59

    Or alternatively find an off-road tyre depot that has one of these............

  6. #6Rob Gunn2021-09-27 14:49

    I had to use a sawzall on the 4 that I did last year. Made 4 cuts from outside toward the rim (12 o'clock, 3, 6 and 9) but stopped just short of hitting the rim. Then cut parallel to the rim all the way around. I was then able to peal the old tire off the solid foam. The whole project started hard on the first one but got easier by the last...

  7. #7John C.2021-09-27 19:30

    How much time did it take you to do that?

  8. #8Rob Gunn2021-09-28 09:54

    I think I got the last one done in around 20 minutes

  9. #9Birken Vogt2021-09-28 10:56

    Neighboring company has a telehandler that wore out the tires, and they found the best solution was to have the remaining tread peeled and then retread the carcasses on the rims. Although the carcasses were not torn up since it mostly runs pavement.