Hi All, I have a Case 580f sideshift backhoe (French), I'm trying to remove the swing cylinders, one of them is leaking from the gland nut after fitting new seals. The cylinders are mounted one above the other in line with the boom, the rear of the cylinders pivot on a vertical pin that goes through both cylinders and is hekd in place with a cap top and bottom, the cylinders will not come out of the frame until the pin is removed. I have eventually managed to get the top and bottom caps off but now the pin won't come out, seems like it is stuck on the top cylinder bushing, access is limited. Any suggestions on how to get the pin out.
I would like to help you, however I am having a little trouble understanding your problem. Firstly, is there a problem with the swing cylinder barrel that requires the cylinder removal? Could the oring & back up seals on the cylinder gland have been damaged on install? Secondly, according to the parts listing, the cap & pin should be one part. Is the pin broken away from the cap? If so, this will need to be repaired. Perhaps a strong magnet & a some gentle wriggling of the cylinder may do the trick. Otherwise you will need to weld something to the pin & I don't think that would be easy...... I must say, this is a very strange set up with the cylinders sitting on top of each other.....never seen it before
Hi alrman, Thanks for reply. A little bit of history on problem. I took the cylinder apart because there was a leak from the gland and I found that somebody had packed around the gland threads with plumbers hemp to try to stop a leak !!!!! When I took the gland out the seals had been damaged presumably on fitting, so I took the rod out, got a new seal kit and fitted new seals and then put it all back together, all this with the cylinder left in situ on the machine. When I started up and tried out the backhoe the leak at the gland was worse than ever which leads me to think that there is a problem with the cylinder and now I am trying to remove the cylinder from the machine to get it checked out and/or repaired. I think I may have misunderstood the way the cylinders are held in place, looking at it now there is no pin down through the cylinders, they are held in place with the top and bottom caps and pins on the centre bracket. I think the centre bracket will have to come out along with the 2 cylinders before they can be separated, this will be heavy I think. I will have a go today and report back on my findings.
OK, managed to get the cylinder out. There is no pin down through the cylinders (logical really, you would never get it out if it got bent), the top and bottom caps have the pins for top/bottom and the centre plate has the pins for the other sides of the cylinders. I had to unbolt the centre plate and the whole assembly pushes back enough to allow the cylinders to lift off the pins on the centre plate, I'm new to heavy plant and my initial assumption as to how the cylinders were fixed in position was obviously wrong - learning all the time. Off to the machine shop now to see if they can repair it.
Took the cylinder to the hydraulic shop this afternoon - bad news. Someone has attempted to weld in the hydraulic hose connector at the gland end (don't know the correct name for it), maybe it was leaking there, but I reckon they have tried to do it while still attached to the machine and it has distorted the tube, instead of being perfectly round it is now oval shaped so there lies the initial problem of the gland leaking. The hydraulic shop say that the only way to fix it is to replace the tube, between 300€ - 400€, which I suppose isn't bad for the work required, unless somebody knows of another way of repairing it.
Ah! Yes! this is a common problem if too much heat is applied to those tube ends. Case hydraulic cylinder tubes typically are very thin in the wall at the threaded end of the cylinder. Unfortunately, because of the previous bad repair, the tube is oval & a new barrel is the best option as they are machined after welding. The trunion removal & refit obviously, creates alot of extra work in this particular repair. Unless you could source a second hand / used option from a wrecking yard?