Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing the slew motor on a 50B hoe

Bryan1 · 2011-01-22 22:42

G'day Guy's, Well at first what seemed to be an easy task of removing the slew motor has turned out to be a bit more frustrating. I thought the six retaining nuts on the slew mount would of been studs but no they are bolts and with the upper 4 bolts it will stop the slew motor from a simple vertical lift. The reason I need to move the slew motor is the top pin has a broken weld and the only way to fix it properly is by removing the slew motor. ​ Where I drew the red arrow is one of the offending bolts. Now I'm wondering if I remove the lower cover on the lower mount if it will allow the slew motor to move out to allow a vertical lift. ​ I'm wondering if any members can give me some idea in the procedure required to remove the slew motor as I do want to fix the hoe asap as the rocks over the back of the farm must laughing at me. Cheers Bryan

Replies1
  1. #1Bryan12011-01-22 23:58

    I've been thinking about this over few ales and I reckon I need to remove both the upper and lower bolts and move the whole hoe arms back far enough to release the bolts. Then get the slew motor off so I can grind out all the broken weld, now to ensure I weld the top pin centrally I could remount the assembly higher. Like the lower bolt hole on the upper bolt so I can get the root run in, let it cool after peening and it can come apart for the final welding. I will be using 309 dissimilar SS welding rods. Now dealing with the weights involved the new shed I'm building along with my fiat 450 with the lifting jib and a 3 ton wheeled engine jack should let me do this safely. Like all jobs in the past I have the attitude ' nothing is impossible just some things take a few beers and more thought', I should be able to work this out but it would be nice if someone has done this before so I can get their angle on the way they approached it. Cheers Bryan