anybody out there had any luck repairing damaged teeth in the case of a final drive? I am reluctant to try it with a fewgrand tied up in new planetaries, bearings, etc.....
What teeth are you talking about? The sprocket teeth or gear teeth? What model tractor are we talking about?
You mean fixing the teeth on the sun gear that the 3 planetairy gears turn? Perhaps due to one or all of the planitairy gears fail causeing broken teeth to the sun gear? If thats the case i would buy a new sun gear because the cost would outweigh the savings if the welding lets go and takes the planetairy gears out.
Depending on what machine you have. You can probably find a aftermarket or good used fairly cheap.
i am 100% agree with hotwheels81. you are going to rely on the uncertain quality of the repairment of the teeth. is this is an excavator you will have the complete final drive failure and probably the hydraulic motor as well. if new parts are expensive, try the used parts market, which feeds from dismantled machines.
been looking for salvage pats for months. apparently there are none to be had. The case on a final drive has teeth machined into it. When the bearing let go it damaged the case. the case is no longer available.
What breed ,make and model are you looking at?
Be nice to know what machine, one of us on here might have one or know of one. jr
it is a Hitachi ex100. it shares the finals with the early 120-1 hitachi, and the 490d deere
Anybody?
www.langleyexcavator.com
langley scraps 200 ton and larger machines. I have already talked to them. This has been on the parts locator service for months, with no luck.
I know people who have successfully repaired external gears but an internal would be a bit trickier. Its probably not ideal but if a replacement casing isn't available maybe you don't have any other option. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/broken-gear-teeth-best-build-up-method-199804/
try www.brikers.com they might have something.
Really, I am just trying to figure out if my case can be repaired, or should be tossed.
How about a picture of the damage? Real hard to say it can be fixed or not looking at a blank post........................ jr
Final drive housing repair I know exactly what you are talking about. We have repaired a few in the past with good luck so far. All depends how bad they are. How about some pictures? Email to: [email protected]
I'll get pics out to you ASAP. i appreciate the help
Post pics on the forum so everybody can see. We might be able to take a crack at it, we do a lot of repairs too: http://americanindependentinc.com/otherservices.html
Call Ed Kurtz 570-282-1216, he dismantals lots of john deere yellow iron here in ne Pa.
got the final off today. The case is hardly damaged. i really hope it can be fixed.
The issue you have is that this drive is obsolete. Finding them 2nd hand, as you have found, is near impossible. This is what I do for a living, hence my forum name. I would advise parting the machine out. I mean, it is a tough call depending on how much you use it..from a cost analysis standpoint. From a product standpoint I can tell you there is no replacement option for this unit. If you can find parts to repair it and are willing to spend the money to do it..be prepared do keep doing it every year. I specialize in finding solutions for obsolete final drives. This particular one, I have found two suppliers. I purchased the product as a sample. Did a hardness test and found that a soda can had about the same hardness..heh. So the quality of metal is poor and the machining work is even worse. Plus when we tested the motor portion, it puked out the case drain. None of the motor components were within proper tolerance to operate correctly. Then came to fitting to machine. The bolt holes weren't drilled correctly. Some not deep enough, some just off from lining up. Lastly, the sprocket had about a 10mm gap from it's mounting surface. Needless to say, we will not supply this caliber of product. I've sent samples to the factory that makes our drives for us and it is cost prohibitive to make. Hope that helps you. p.s. The hydraulic motor is generally the issue on this model
Is the place you found that makes the substandard parts in India. i found a place called the "new indo trading company" that makes all these parts. I have been leery of trying them. Are you familiar with them?
Yes I am aware of them. Yes, they are one of the places I bought a sample from. No, theres wasn't substandard material. It didn't fit properly and the gearbox was not timed correctly. It would not make a full rotation without binding up. Forcing it would have broken teeth.
Toss it, unless you rarely use the machine or it never moves much. Not worth the trouble to fix.