Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing Dresser Serpentine Belt

headrc ยท 2018-04-05 22:25

Servicing my Dresser TD7 with the Cummings motor today I examined the serpentine belt and it is starting to show some wear. Has anyone does this on here ....and how hard is it do if you have. Thanks once again to a great forum.

Replies11
  1. #1g_man2018-04-06 20:16

    I can't help but I know why you are asking. There isn't any room. I had a hard time just changing out the altenator a couple years ago. When you find out what it takes lets us know. Thanks !!! gg

  2. #2headrc2018-04-06 20:42

    Will do on that ...so far nobody else has responded ...so if I do it I may be the first on here. Love my Dresser TD7G though ....

  3. #3DK882018-04-08 20:16

    easy to do.

  4. #4headrc2018-04-08 20:56

    Thanks DK88 ....can it be done without pulling any other parts relevant ot radiator etc.? I looked at the manual today and all it said was to take wrench to the tensioner ....but is that easy to get to and then thread the new belt on?

  5. #5DK882018-04-10 20:37

    yep, just have to fish the belt around the fan.

  6. #6headrc2018-04-10 20:55

    Ok ...well I have examined the tensioner and so far it looks like I will have the top engine cover off ...because the only way I can raise the tensioner is with a prybar and I can't get it raised enough with the hood on. So far I cannot find a way to gain access to the 1/2" tensioner bolt that you are supposed to use to raise the tensioner. If you have done this ...and can give any insights it would be appreciated.

  7. #7Vetech632018-04-11 06:53

    There should be only 1 bolt on the tensioner and it is the one that holds it to the engine. Right behind the tensioner pulley on the bracket arm itself should be a 1/2" drive square slot. You should be able to get a rachet in that slot to move your tensioner.

  8. #8g_man2018-04-11 07:02

    Don't know if this will help but this is how I did it when I replaced the alternator. I hooked the strap on the other side and used a bar to make enough space to get the strap on the tensioner. I also could not figure how to get at the bolt.

  9. #9Vetech632018-04-11 07:05

    well, that works!

  10. #10kshansen2018-04-11 07:53

    Never even seen a TD7 in person but the first thing I would do if this "serpentine belt" goes around several different pulleys like most car belts do would be to make a very good sketch of how it it routed! g-man's picture looks close to how I had to do the belt on the WA-600 Komatsu loader with the K-19 Cummins. Komatsu and Dresser are somewhat related! Main difference is I used a small chain jack that allowed me to let off tension slowly. The ratchet straps I have are all or nothing on the release side. Not sure on the TD7 but on the WA-600 it was possible to work the old belt out new belt in without removing the fan guard. Took a bit of doing but removing the guard was not a simple job either! One more thing. If the belt is getting rough at one side it could be that the tensioner pulley pivot is getting worn so be sure to check for any looseness in that area. About every other belt change on the K-19 that part needed some work, new bearings or shaft.

  11. #11Bluox2018-04-11 08:19

    Usually the tensioner has a 1/2" square hole in the arm you can use a ratchet on to relief the spring. Bob Guess I should read all the posts!