Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing hydraulic oil in case 580 k backhoe

schmark1 ยท 2018-04-22 11:28

hello everyone. I recently purchased a used case 580k backhoe. One bucket cylinder is bent and leaks a good stream of hydraulic oil. I got a new cylinder to replace the one with bent piston rod. Anyway, I bought the backhoe in the middle of winter. The guy I bought it from said there was just a couple of slightly leaking cylinders but now that the weather has warmed up I notice it is more than just a couple that have leaks. I started running low on hydraulic oil so I contacted the seller and asked him what type of hydraulic fluid he was putting in it so I could get the same type. He told me they have been putting in the cheap stuff from tsc with the green top. I have the owners/repair manual from case and they recommend 10w30 motor oil (same as the engine oil for my machine) for the hydraulic system on 580 k. I have decided to replace the thinner fluid they have been putting in with the recommended oil but do not know how to do this. I am mechanically inclined and feel I will be able to pull this job off but don't want any surprises in the middle of the job. I already have thirty gallons of oil and the filter I need but not sure how to do it. Can someone walk me through the process and give me a heads up on anything to look out for. I would greatly appreciate any help and suggestions.

Replies3
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-04-22 23:09

    The factory recommendation for the hydraulic oil is TCH which is a 30wt mineral oil, this has been replaced by the Hy-Tran Ultra. The additives in the original oil keeps the seals in the cylinders lubed better than any other oil. But of course it's up to you.

  2. #2Willie B2018-04-23 20:42

    My 580K gets only Hy Tran from Case Dealer. The TCH is no longer available. My dealer assures me the Hy Tran exceeds the specification of TCH. Its ability to isolate water is unsurpassed, anti foam is important, friction modifiers for good wet brakes, and clutches is important.

  3. #3Ed12019-05-21 21:25

    Hey schmark1, I know this is an old post, but I was wondering when you went to replace the filter if you found any shutoff, or if you just had to drain whatever was in it.