Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

replacing Hydraulic oil oin case 580 k backhoe

schmark1 ยท 2018-04-22 11:21

hello everyone. I recently purchased a used case 580k backhoe. One bucket cylinder is bent and leaks a good stream of hydraulic oil. I got a new cylinder to replace the one with bent piston rod. Anyway, I bought the backhoe in the middle of winter. The guy I bought it from said there was just a couple of slightly leaking cylinders but now that the weather has warmed up I notice it is more than just a couple that have leaks. I started running low on hydraulic oil so I contacted the seller and asked him what type of hydraulic fluid he was putting in it so I could get the same type. He told me they have been putting in the cheap stuff from tsc with the green top. I have the owners/repair manual from case and they recommend 10w30 motor oil (same as the engine oil for my machine) for the hydraulic system on 580 k. I have decided to replace the thinner fluid they have been putting in with the recommended oil but do not know how to do this. I am mechanically inclined and feel I will be able to pull this job off but don't want any surprises in the middle of the job. I already have thirty gallons of oil and the filter I need but not sure how to do it. Can someone walk me through the process and give me a heads up on anything to look out for. I would greatly appreciate any help and suggestions.

Replies3
  1. #1Doug580l2018-04-22 12:35

    I have a 1997 case 1840 and it calls for 10w-30 fluid for hydraulic also, but I had to add Case HTO additive to it. The Case dealer told me that they use 15w-40 in the older machines like mine. Not sure if that would be right for yours or not though.

  2. #2Tinkerer2018-04-22 13:17

    From the super K manual. I would never use engine oil in any Case tractor/loader/backhoe.

  3. #3Billrog2018-04-22 17:27

    I knew a Case backhoe operator that used 10/30 motor oil in his hydraulics and never had any problems . I've only used hydraulic oil in mine and often topped it up with trans hydraulic because that's what I had.