Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Repower a Skidder

Old Growth · 2024-03-07 01:23

Anyone ever repower a log skidder originally equipped with a Detroit 353 to another kind of diesel?? I have an old Garrett 21 with a bad 353 and Im not to keen on listening to that old screamer. I have a Deutz 4 cylinder diesel Im thinking about putting in it. Im not sure if this is a good or bad idea yet. Any ideas?

Replies23
  1. #1Old Growth2024-03-08 00:40

    Crickets??

  2. #2Coaldust2024-03-08 01:41

    That’s a tough one. Maybe a Kubota in that power range like the V6108? Might be considered a sacrilegious act to put a Japanese engine in that magnificent beast of American ingenuity. Maybe a Cummins 6BT? IDK?

  3. #3IceHole2024-03-08 02:30

    Ls swap

  4. #4crane operator2024-03-08 18:29

    A 4BT cummins would be a lot more likely to fit, than a 6bt. You may be able to find something like a perkins or deere engine that would fit size wise. First thing I would check, is what rotation the 3-53 is.

  5. #5Truck Shop2024-03-08 22:08

    I've seen a 4bt in a Mountain Logger, but apparently it didn't have the throttle response they liked with the original detroit.

  6. #6Hallback2024-03-08 23:06

    The Detroit was the best engine ever for a yarder or a skidder. RPM is what you want in both of those machines

  7. #7Old Growth2024-03-08 23:28

    4BT, Nope. Bearded diesel truck dudes have ruined the market on any kind of affordable engine. 6BT. Nope, See above comment. Perkins, Nope. Not my cup of tea. Im open to the idea of using an import engine. That doesnt bother me, as long as its cheap. I think its probably going to be another detroit or this deutz

  8. #8Old Growth2024-03-08 23:32

    Im not that modern, lol! BBC? i have a few extras. A set of Bassetts would look good sticking out of each side panel!

  9. #9Truck Shop2024-03-09 09:47

    Nothing like a screaming skidder.

  10. #10Hallback2024-03-09 09:53

    They sound pissed off and you got to run them like you're pissed off!

  11. #11Truck Shop2024-03-09 10:06

    Yeah that sounds right--red face and red hair with a hangover. Those are all professors you know--that beard makes them a professor.

  12. #12PeterP92024-03-09 10:34

    I would just slap another Detroit in it. Hallback is 100% bang on with saying that a Detroit is the best engine for a Skidder, that's why most of them came with Detroits back in the day. Just my 2 cents.

  13. #13IceHole2024-03-09 13:11

    I have hundreds of hours in 440, 647D and 648 G3, never had those "screaming". Maybe 1800rpm, if that.

  14. #14mekanik2024-03-09 14:15

    The dealer I worked for sold Clark Skidders. All the ones they sold while I was there came with V6 or V8 Cummins in them.

  15. #15Hallback2024-03-09 14:25

    I've only seen two clark skidders out here with Cummins in them everything else had a Detroit.

  16. #16Truck Shop2024-03-09 15:47

    That's probably because you don't have red hair & rosacea. I knew a young guy that worked a logging crew he was a dandy he was, short pants with fringe, guy wires, bachelor buttons, hickory shirt & whites boots--everything he did was full tilt.

  17. #17Truck Shop2024-03-09 16:12

    I forgot the guys on his crew said he had 80 proof farts at 10 am.

  18. #18Coaldust2024-03-09 21:35

    First triple-nickel I ever touched was in a Clark. I forgot about those things.

  19. #19Coaldust2024-03-09 21:38

    There was a Oakville Gypo with a couple Cummins powered Clarks we regularly worked on. Trying to recall names.

  20. #20Hallback2024-03-09 22:30

    Zepp?

  21. #21Coaldust2024-03-09 22:47

    More Gypo than that. lol.

  22. #22Hallback2024-03-09 23:57

    Reed?

  23. #23IceHole2024-03-10 04:23

    Sheez. I might have a beer or two a week, if that.