Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

retaining compound 9S3265

AllDodge ยท 2014-04-04 19:12

Anyone know a substitute for CAT retaining compound 9S3265

Replies13
  1. #11466IH2014-04-04 21:47

    I can check that p/n Monday but are you just referring to the green loctite Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  2. #2kb9tci2014-04-04 23:40

    Green loctite just came up on my little project. I've used http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...ermatex-bearing-mount-for-relaxed-fits-detail quite a bit and have had good luck with it. If you want to make super sure, use their primer alongside it. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  3. #3AllDodge2014-04-05 08:47

    I'm not sure what it is, but it is required to be used after using CAT primer 6V1541. My D3 manual says the adhesive is used to attach the wear ring on the crank shaft (thin metal band as wide is the crank). Without the wear ring the seal won't seal. I could go and buy the stuff but each bottle cost of $30 each, and to just use one time that's kind of expensive. The MSDS sheet says it's made of Plexiglas resin and antifreeze along with a few other chemicals.

  4. #41466IH2014-04-05 09:46

    OK for that I just go to the local auto parts store and buy retaining compound or green loctite. It is the same stuff. Loctite or permatex actually makes the cat stuff so you will be fine. I think it is like 6 bucks a tube at orielly's Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  5. #5kb9tci2014-04-05 09:50

    Be careful, as there are different versions of green. There is a wicking formula for preassembled fasteners, a high strength formula for close bearing fits, loose fits, and a mid strength formula for sleeves. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  6. #6AllDodge2014-04-05 10:10

    Thanks, after checking the price it looks like I'll only save a few bucks by getting the permatex over the CAT product.

  7. #7Bob/Ont2014-04-05 10:52

    Any locktite should seal it up. Check if the flywheel bolt holes go all the way through the crank flange, if they do use some on the bolt threads aswell. Later Bob

  8. #8kshansen2014-04-05 12:21

    Actually I think you will find that Cat has stopped selling the Loc-Tite products under their part numbers and now sell the products with the Loc-Tite part numbers. I would just go to an auto parts store and buy a small tube of something that is described as a "Retaining Compound" but not one that says"Wicking" in the description. Do you have access to the tooling to install the seal and sleeve? Last I knew the two came pre-assembled and were to be installed as one piece with a special seal installing tool. If you are on good terms with the local dealer you maybe able to borrow or rent the tool. I may have access to the tool at work, would have to do some checking, but shipping might be on the high side due to the weight. There are ways to do it without the tools but takes a little finesse and good luck.

  9. #9kshansen2014-04-05 12:41

    I have a copy of the current Cat Special Instruction on crank seals, about 12 pages if anyone would like a pdf copy let me know. Note they are very strict on installing the seal ans sleeve as one piece. Do Not remove the seal from the sleeve or they will be damaged. Now if by chance you have one of the older style seals with the rubber lip and spring in it this is not as critical as with the "newer" Teflon type seals.

  10. #10AllDodge2014-04-05 14:29

    I read through the manual and it tells me if the wear ring and seal come apart during installation then scrap them both and try again. I'm figuring that using the tool will damage them if they do not go in as one unit. The manual shows to have the bell housing installed prior to installing sleeve and seal. The sleeve comes out of the seal real easy in your hands. There is a camphor on one side like the manual mentions and install it facing away from the engine. I'm about 60 miles from my CAT dealer and when I had the problem with the backhoe he mentioned he would loan me the tools. I could probably get the use of it but I was thinking of installing the wear sleeve first. Then install the seal using the old seal as the main driver. Then install the bell housing with seal. Bob the threads do go clear through and plan to use blue Loctite on them, have red also but it might be a real problem if they ever have to come off again (hope not). Kshansen I have red Loctite also but will go to local Napa and see what they have.

  11. #11john metler2014-04-09 23:35

    Red locktite will work just fine. Rebuilt cat engines for nearly twenty years at cat dealer. That green stuff is really wicked. I remember putting a bearing on a badly worn shaft. I later decided to remove it. It took forty tons of force on the press. That sleeve wont go anywhere with the yellow locktite or the red. I still have lots of the green laying around. I save it for things I never plan to take apart. If you want it to set up fast just warm it up a little after assembly.

  12. #12john metler2014-04-09 23:40

    By the way. If it is the later teflon type seal do not take it apart. You will ruin it. Use the proper tool and it will be positioned just right.

  13. #13AllDodge2014-04-10 22:02

    Thanks, it wasn't the Teflon seal it was the rubber double lip seal. Managed to get it on and hope it was work wen started