Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reversing control pattern on 1997 hitachi 120-5- changing from excavator to backhoe

sparkydigger ยท 2016-04-30 08:06

I just bought a grey market 1997 hitachi 120-5. I learned on backhoe but it was set up on excavator style controls. I searched this site and found some helpful info but didn't get the entire answer so I wanted to post about what I learned when I made the switch. On my machine the joystick pilot controls go through a valve block in the cabinet just behind the cab of the machine where the batteries are. On the backside of the valve block (away from the door) reverse the four lines closest to the cab in an x pattern. The two lines I am pointing to get reversed diagonally with the two lines below them.

Replies3
  1. #1uffex2016-04-30 10:24

    View attachment Pattern Change.pdf Sparky I suggest it is much easier to change the connection at the base of the R.C.V Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2sparkydigger2016-05-01 13:07

    Thanks for the tip. This method worked for me but I'm sure yours might be faster. This method is probably a 10-15 minute job and no panels have to be removed, so it's not too bad.

  3. #3indigo2018-10-25 22:07

    I Have the exact same excavator. I did the swap today according to your post and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the info.