Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ride Control – Cat

DirtCrawler · 2017-01-31 22:41

Is it possible to have the cat dealer add ride control to a track machine that doesnt have it? Is it just a switch and software, or what? If so what should I be looking at cost wise if i do? thanks....

Replies11
  1. #1Shimmy12017-01-31 22:52

    Can't imagine why they couldn't. Might be a terrible P.I.T.A., but a call to your Cat dealer will tell you.

  2. #2KSSS2017-02-01 00:14

    It uses nitrogen accumulators to provide the ride control effect. It is far more than a software upgrade. Worth every penny you pay for it when you order a machine. However I doubt it is possible to add it after the fact, but who knows. A call to your local CAT service manager should provide a quick answer.

  3. #3DirtCrawler2017-02-01 00:29

    if the machine has it already, how would i know. 1. is it automatic 2. turned on by the advanced display 3. turned on by an over head switch 4. or switch on one of the hand controls Thanks

  4. #4Cmark2017-02-01 01:36

    ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

  5. #5dtcohen2017-02-01 09:44

    Ride control can be added to a machine that was not originally equipped with it. The hardware is not very difficult to install, but you will have to turn it on in the machine software. That will require a technician with a cat service tool. The system consist of a hydraulic manifold with an accumulator and three solenoids attached to it. There are also a few hydraulic lines. If you have a D-series machine there will be a switch in the right hand switch panel. Ride control will activate automatically when the switch is in the "on" position. If you have an advanced display you will be able to adjust the speed at which ride control activates. Hope that helps

  6. #6DirtCrawler2017-02-07 22:22

    yeap, that helps a bit, thanks to all

  7. #7Nige2017-02-08 04:28

    AS posted above in #5 by CMark - without a Serial Number, or at the very least a model number, it's impossible to tell you what parts and/or electrical/electronic modifications are required. Sometimes I'm sure that folks out there think we have crystal balls..........

  8. #8DirtCrawler2017-02-10 23:48

    Ha, for some reason I didn't see all that post just saw the arrows and since those words were way down by the post date guess i passed it by thinking it was part of Cmark's signature area.... sorry. I don't have the machine serial number just looking at a few pictures to go by right now. It is a D machine, and there's no switch in the right overhead panel, I'm guessing the switch that i would need is the one labeled that looks like a wheel going over rough ground?. Also Left hand joystick has 4 buttons on top, Right hand joystick only has a thumb wheel and is missing 2 buttons, which some units appear to have along with the thumbwheel. So not sure what the two other buttons on the joystick would have been for.

  9. #9Nige2017-02-11 05:22

    It all depends on how much of a hurry you're in. A Serial Number would identify exactly how the machine was originally built and make listing the parts required to install ride control on that specific machine a couple of minutes work. No S/N, and all bets are off, including any guarantees regarding the quality of the information supplied.

  10. #10DirtCrawler2017-02-12 10:31

    Ok, I understand. Guess I was just trying to get it in my mind first if it was something I could add down the road before making the drive the go look at the machine. Called this past week on it but the guy was gone for the week. So wasn't able to get anywhere with it. Other question is, there's a picture of the rear door open, shows attached to the rear door a radiator for something. Whats its purpose? as I've noticed it in comparing to other machine pictures where that radiator wasn't present. Thanks again

  11. #11Nige2017-02-12 12:24

    The "radiator" mounted inside the read door is actually the condenser for the aircon.