Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rigging sling questions.

Tennessee ยท 2015-09-27 14:13

I have this sling and wanting to sell it but don't know what its worth or how to explain what is is. Im wanting to find out whats the capacity and is it called an endless 4 ply sling or would it be considered an 8 ply? Its got a string in the center that i think is to tell if it has been stretched over capacity, What would I call that? This thing is 60 feet long and 2" wide. Thanks for any help I can get.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2015-09-27 14:21

    There should be a label somewhere near one end giving details of the sling and its SWL. Do you have a photo of that, or can you get one..?

  2. #2Tennessee2015-09-27 14:37

    After looking and looking I did find some blue dyed markings that read US Line Multi-Loop 60FT 68F217-30 1/82 2782F Not sure what much of that means? Its .15 thick measured with calipers.

  3. #3BillG2015-09-27 14:46

    That's a military sling, used to tie parachutes to cargo for low speed air drops.

  4. #4Nige2015-09-27 14:49

    And with no tag stating what is the Safe Working Load it's not legal for use as a lifting sling. It's effectively worth what anyone's prepared to pay for it, but IMHO that wouldn't be much.

  5. #5Tennessee2015-09-27 14:53

    Got ya. Thanks for the info. I guess it would make a good tow strap.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-09-27 14:57

    At 60 feet long, it's a perfect tow strap for the mud, lol

  7. #7Tennessee2015-09-27 15:03

    Thinking about it, it sure would get heavy and messy though.