Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ripper or rake?

JD Green ยท 2009-10-31 21:31

Purchased a Deere 200C LC, and looking at 750 or 850 Deere dozer. Main projects will be clearing trees out of fence lines, and general farm improvements. Question I have is... would you put money towards a ripper, or a rake for the dozer? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1grandpa2009-10-31 21:39

    If it was me i would buy a pin on rake. Ive got both and the rake is alot handier; just my opinion tho. Dont have to have extra hydraulics either and thats a savings.

  2. #2JD Green2009-10-31 21:41

    Thanks. Where did you get your rake?

  3. #3grandpa2009-10-31 21:46

    I knew youd ask that. Ive had it so long I cant remember anymore(25 years) . I found it in the rock and dirt magazine i believe. Sorry.

  4. #4td25c2009-10-31 22:00

    welcome JD Green.The rake would sure come in handy for piling the trees & fence rows .

  5. #5JD Green2009-10-31 22:19

    Thanks guys. Just found this site a week ago. Great reading material.

  6. #6JD750B2009-11-01 08:14

    I vote rake The rake will be much more handy. I have never really had a need for a ripper, but the rake gets quite a bit of use piling brush.

  7. #7Kgmz2009-11-01 16:04

    Definitely get the rake. I have these rakes for both of our dozers at the link below. Also have a rake for our excavator. http://waynepocholec.tripod.com/id15.htm#pin_on_rakes_1

  8. #8fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2009-11-01 17:00

    I do the same thing, buy a pin on rake. Just like a grain cart makes a combine much more efficient, so does the dozer to an excavator. Just lay the trees down with the hoe and push them to a central burn area. We have a CX210 and a Cat D5M XL. Some good pics on our website. http://www.cedarlodgefarms.com/june09.html Warren

  9. #9LonestarCobra2009-11-01 18:21

    I would go with the pin-on rake. Here is a link to a place we get them. http://diamondattachments.com/index.php

  10. #10roddyo2009-11-01 20:24

    Rippers and a Rake +1 on going with a rake. You could go with a set of backup rippers also if your looking at loosening up clay or a hard pan. It might be a cheap way to get both, Like everything it's a compromise. http://www.vailproducts.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/t2.asp?docid=548&DocName=Backup Rippers As far as rakes go: http://www.rocklandmfg.com/Dozers/rake_index.htm http://www.excavatorthumb.com/dozer-rakes/dozer.html Both of these should have an ebay store which might be some cheaper. You should send ATCO a PM for his opinion also. He's in the business. :cool2

  11. #11Trakwork2009-11-01 20:48

    If I was looking to buy a dozer like you, and was wondering what attachment/s .... I needed.. I would buy a dozer with rippers attached and purchase a rake. Why buy a dozer without a ripper set when the extra cost is nothing or small? There are many good machines with rippers for no extra. Shop around when you buy you're next machine.

  12. #12JD Green2009-11-10 20:41

    Took everyones advice. Purchased an 850C with 3-shank ripper on unit. Will soon be ordering a pin-on root rake. Thanks :notworthy