Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rock busting this way

Dirtman2007 ยท 2008-10-25 16:51

For one of my project I'm doing next month I need about 8 truck loads of boulders ranging about 3' square. I found a stock pile where I can get them for free as the rock quarry wants $33 a ton for shot rock All I have to do is load and haul. Most of the rocks are bigger than what I need so I have to break them up. my way of breaking them. From inside the cab http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jwtwJkVND2o From outside the cab http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jwtwJkVND2o

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies13
  1. #1curly2008-10-25 18:12

    He he, cheap and fun.

  2. #295zIV2008-10-25 21:18

    I used to do something like that in the quarry I worked in, but I used the loader and sometimes accuracy wasn't the greatest. Also if you look at some rocks you can see the seams in them that you can just smack with a tooth and they'll split easy.

  3. #3Vantage_TeS2008-10-25 21:33

    That's what I do when they don't fit into my 40 ton rock trucks =D

  4. #4bigbob2008-10-26 20:44

    I have about 1000 yards of shot rock in York, Me. I am looking to get rid of about half of it . I will load, you haul. Was down sizing some of the bigger "goonies" as we call them to bury for a driveway base. Just watch out for the flying chips hitting your windshield and starting a crack. $33/ton sounds high!

  5. #5ben46a2008-10-27 11:12

    33 is way high, we sell that Armor rock for about $3.50 a ton, and blown rock for $4.00. The armor rock that price is just material, we charge by the hour to load it as its trickier. The blown rock is priced loaded on your truck as we can just use a loader.

  6. #6Pecord Exc2008-10-27 13:34

    Ill bet your ears arent ringing at the end of a day from running a hammer for 8 hours!!

  7. #7Dirtman20072008-10-27 15:59

    Hammers are rough. Forget the ear plugs and your deaf from the banging or from the radio being so loud to drown out the sound!

  8. #8jlm3352008-10-27 21:20

    Was that yall's excavator in the video?

  9. #9Dirtman20072008-10-27 21:46

    Yep, It's the ole daewoo 220.

  10. #10redlaker12008-10-27 23:55

    must be nice to have rock so soft that you can break it like that

  11. #11tylermckee2008-10-28 21:40

    With the cab all closed up and the radio on, i can hardly hear the breaker on the machine i run. Watch out for flying rocks breaking like that, i usually swing to the left and throw the rocks into another one, so that by the time the rocks hit shrapnel hits the side of the machine, and doesnt come through my front window. Your rock does look a lot softer than than the stuff i run across though.

  12. #12Dirtman20072008-10-28 22:31

    It's weird rock, some of the rock a hammer will only poke holes into it as it's a soft material. (their using a hammer on the other side of the job) But this stuff is in layers, if you drop it just right it will make a nice clean brake with little to none flying back at the machine. Come to think of it I piled up and broke about 150 tons a not one chip hit the window.

  13. #13Dug Overburden2008-11-11 02:07

    Rock Breaking 101 Watched your video, very clever, you could put a few breakers out of business with that technic:notworthy