Rocket scientists say they found the solution to semi-truck rollovers Startup Axicle Engineering has a fifth-wheel prototype that its founder said can detect and detach a trailer from a Class 8 tractor before it rolls over, keeping the driver safe... www.fleetowner.com
Loggers had that tech decades ago. I think they called it a live bunk.
Well that's a interesting bunch of stuff. But the real issue is to address the improperly trained driver first, that would cut rollovers by roughly 50% plus. Most all accidents are cause by excessive speed and/or driving conditions. The one problem I see is a situation of disconnecting onto vehicles next to it, not often but does happen. The other is because it is now unhooked from tractor it becomes much more difficult to recover, much easier with trailer connected and probably less damage to any salvageable goods inside, which does become a factor sometimes with insurance. And on a slick road surface it becomes a great big toboggan.
This is the thing I don't like about automatics. No shifting involved. Like driving a car.. A manual transmission makes you aware that you are in control of a lot of weight. You come up to the lights, and you prepare to stop by downshifting, not piling on the brakes. I was taught when changing lanes, or passing cars, smooth controlled movements. It's not nascar, don't jerk in and out.
Just more tech to enable driverless trucks....and more to go wrong as well with catastrophic results....
It's not just the automatic--it's the whole truck. These trucks are so quiet with every option at finger tip, it lulls a driver into boredom. On top of that Air disc brakes do stop quickly but it causes a driver to think he can close the gap between him and the vehicle ahead, all of these items offer up a false sense of security. When you can't hear the vehicle a driver can't really determine there is a mechanical issue. The older trucks gave the driver a feel of what's going on through the steering wheel, seat and noise. * As far as the AMT trans, if a driver is properly trained {not by dock talk} and has the jake engaged constantly it will automatically operate jakes between each downshift, just damn near to a stand still. I have ridden with a few drivers that in heavy traffic the jake is on slowing before their foot even hits the brake, downshifting all the way.
Have you seen the drivers that put it in neutral and slow down? Your right but drivers are not getting better and training ain't going to help
They used to put it in neutral going down a hill. I think they called it mexican overdrive
That is Georgia Overdrive * If drivers are not getting better and training ain't going to help--interesting thought. Then I guess it's time for the world to suck start a 38--were doomed, very sad.
I wouldnt want my trailer to come unhooked its like the driver not taking responsibility for what he has done.
I find that you get a false sense of stopping ability. First few times in one, I came up to the stop sighn like I was in my halfton. I was empty with the tag on, and locked it up. I watched a video about some guy wearing flip flops, feet up on the dash on his phone rollin down the highway.
It's shouldn't have locked up, everyone I've driven has a positive stop feeling.
The trailer locked up, not the truck
Non ABS trailer?
Yep
Called Angel's gear over here.
That goes with my last sentence in post 9.
Wing and a Prayer downhill run.