Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rod ends

Jeffrey Bandel ยท 2024-10-24 18:28

2013 Cat 299D CAT0299DLGTC00836. I'm putting new pins and bushings on the front. I noticed the end of this rod is worn out and oval shaped. What is the preferred method for tightening it up? Boring out and installing a bushing?

Replies12
  1. #1Vetech632024-10-24 19:00

    I would replace the rod. There is aftermarket or used in most cases.

  2. #2Jeffrey Bandel2024-10-25 05:35

    I found aftermarket for the whole cylinder. Do you know a source or part number for just the rod?

  3. #3Jeffrey Bandel2024-10-25 05:46

    Found the part number: LH and RH 295-4468

  4. #41466IH2024-10-25 09:15

    Lots of options depending on your time schedule. I have machined new rod eyes and welded back on or line bored and welded or replace complete rod. Just depends on the overall condition of the rod, the difficulty to remove and what you have available to you for tooling

  5. #5Tyler d4c2024-10-25 10:06

    Theres a bulleton with the bushing part number if you choose to bore them. Be warned there induction hardened the first passes where its not worn though is harder then wood pecker lips

  6. #6Nige2024-10-25 10:51

    You mean this one.?

  7. #7Jeffrey Bandel2024-10-25 11:06

    On Cats part.com they don't show a bushing in the parts diagram. But under the "instructions" they do. It's kind of wierd.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2024-10-25 12:17

    Sure looks like it

  9. #9Nige2024-10-25 12:26

    See that document I posted above. Early machines such as yours did not have a bushing in the rod eye from the factory. Gen 1 if you will. Later a new Gen 2 rod was produced and the bushings were made available under a separate Part Number. The document provides machining instructions on how to bore out the eye in a Gen 1 rod to permit the installation of the necessary bush.

  10. #10Jeffrey Bandel2024-10-25 13:02

    Nige, You're always a great help. Appreciate you.

  11. #11Jeffrey Bandel2024-10-25 15:45

    I'm getting to order those bushings. The other end of the cylinder doesn't have a bushing or bushing upgrade correct?

  12. #12Nige2024-10-26 04:35

    For the particular Part Number of cylinder installed on your machine that appears to be correct. There is a later P/N of cylinder, call it Gen 3 if you will, that has bushings installed in both ends but they are different Part Numbers to the bushing used to update the cylinder rods on your machine. I can find no information that your cylinders can be updated to include a bushing at the barrel end.