Here's a few pics from a job i done back in the spring. I was taking out a fence row and got into a quick sandy patch up in a point. It really don't look that muddy till you notice the excavator is sitting on 12 inch trees. That second pic is a tree we just pulled out of the mud and laid on my "Mat Pile" lol. I layed about half the trees down for mats as I took them out and walked to the back corner clearing. I brought my "Mats" out with me along with the piles as I come back out.
Yeah man, that pretty much made a muddy mess of your undercarriage.
I need to fire myself I broke the handle out of my shovel on that job. The Harbor Freight Sharpshooter couldn't stand the pressure.
Looks real nice.
Mats I wonder how many trees I would have to throw down to cross some of those Peet Bogs in your neck of the woods. I think in places we was 3 deep on mats by the time we got bent out and the pipe set up. I just remembered this EGS. When you was working was you told at sometime they lost a boom up there in the Peet in the Old Days? We got a 573 pulling the Bending Machine Stuck about halfway between the Stateline and Whitewater. With the motor running you could just watch it sink. As far as working conditions I can't say I wasn't warned that when I quit working Union things would go to Hell in a hurry.
LoL...that's your punishment for using a China shovel on your Case machine instead of a good quality shovel like an Ames.
Cleaning off a ditch dump Here's some pics of a ditch dump I cleaned up along the edge of a rice field.
We have a lot of peet marsh real close to where I live, some maybe a couple of miles away. A friend of mine was trying to cross a peet marsh in the winter a few years ago with a PC400. About halfway across he broke thru, and it almost tipped right over. They got a D6 out there and saved it, but it took some time and it did some damage to.
Looking good...
D4H Cat I couple of D4H Pics
Some of that looks like ice storm leftovers... Awhile back a friend and I took a small roadtrip to Memphis. As we headed south the trees started looking strange. We then realized it was because they weren't bent over or broken.
Nice pics, a day clearing timber is a way to make the day go by fast. Love clearing timber. Trbo
Ice Storm Pics Clearing Timber and working on Mats is all I want to do. Nice call Arkansaw. Here's some pics from the Ice Storm he's talking about. BTW Scott, I heard the almanic says were are due for another one this winter. I can't wait. Who needs power anyway.:beatsme
Power is overrated. No showers get old pretty quick. Great pics! Knocking down trees is fun...
I got rural water and natural gas. Here's a piece of equipment that me and a friend of mine ended up with last winter down in your neck of the woods. That's the road in the background. Maybe Hwy 18/135 I don't remember. It was a few miles from Lake City out on the Levee.
Kinda looks like someone didn't clean out the engine bay. In revenge the machine did it itself.
They don't got a clue what happened. The county was working on the levee and parked the machine. Come back an hour or so later with a backhoe everything was fine. They quit for the day, come back the next morning and it was toast.
An Excavator Opps Here's an excavator opps for you. My part time guy got a tree in the cab back in the spring. It happens. I know everyone's going to ask. I hate looking through a screen.
Here's the Fix Here's the fix. Someone might find this handy one of these days. The first and second pic gives you some idea how far the post was pushed in. You can also see the roof of the cab was pulled down 3 or 4 inches. That's what the porta power was for. We was pushing on the roof as we winched with the wrecker. This part took a little over an hour.
Here's some more Just for your viewing pleasure. We spent about 3 hours straightening the window frame putting the glass in and tweeking the post with a Hammer and a hot wrench. We didn't get carried away about painting and finishing. When you make a big pull most of the time it will spring back a little. I was going to run it this summer and see what happened. I ended up trading the machine a few weeks ago the way it is. Total cost for the repair. About $350.00 for glass and a few extra hours the next time I worked for my buddies down at the body shop.
Did you get that door to close??
Heck, as far as that post got bent, I don't know that a screen would have slowed it down much.
ouch That looked like it hurt. I seen a mat hit a 330 Cat and it looked like that, not good. What did you trade the Case 160 for?
That's what I think also. I never liked a cab guard because I like running with my top window open. I helps a lot getting your bucket up in the trees to push without tearing your Hyd hoses off. After the Ice storm that's not an option anymore. There's so many widow makers hanging that there's no way you can run with your top hatch open and you really need a plate up there.
Slumming I had to take an old Caterpillar in on trade. It's a good machine with good hours, 5500. Just the wrong flavor for me. I'll be glad to get rid of it and get a proper track hoe. I also got a truck that you got to see to believe. A old body style Four Door One Ton 4x4 dually with 36,000 actual miles. Believe it or not I have wanted that truck since about 1991. I said if I ever got it bought I would never sell it. But, I was born with loose hands. I'll get some pics of it up next week. I got a deal working on my little Hi Track 4 this weekend. I'm taking a bunch of farm equipment in on trade there.
Yes the door will close and the front window will open and close. Those pics are the door closed. There's a gap by the handle on the inside and a gap at the bottom on the outside. No rattles though. We could have sealed it up a little better but I planned on have to rework it later anyway. I also needed to work instead of swinging a hammer at the time also. Keep in mind this wasn't but about a 4 or 5 hour fix. About an hour of that was heating and working the track for the window to slide in. It was mashed together and twisted, not an easy fix.
I have to agree with it being the wrong flavor. What do you want for your next track hoe?
I would like to try a low houred Volvo just once. Maybe a 160 B case or 160x2 link belt. It's got to have a Hyd Thumb and if I was wishing Single Bar Grousers. I like these 160's because they are easier to get around in the woods and they are like a cork in the mud. If you can get 2 or 3 trees under you your not going anywhere most of the time. We do a lot of work down here by the hour also and these 160's fit the bill for that. You know how it is now with excavators, if they are under 5,000 hours there really isn't much difference in any of them. You start getting much over 10,000 hours you start getting into Caterpillar Territory though.:notworthy I think I'm going to get a bigger machine also, 210 to 330 and lease it to the guy I traded with part of the time. Between the two of use we can justify having it around. It would be handy sitting stand pipes in the river for irrigation pumps and doing bid work.
Hey Roddy, are you going to plumb that cat and put a pin mount thumb on, or just weld on a manual one?
If it was me I would get the Link-Belt 160x2. I got to run one on a water+sewer job in downtown Madison a couple years ago. It was the sweetest machine I have ever been on. Volvo's are nice too, but a friend of mine has two volvo 160's for digging basements. They are nice until about 6,000 hours and then they spend a lot of time in the shop.
Brilliant Minds Think Alike. That's what I think about the Link Belt to. I always run a Case because I wanted a Cummins engine. Now that they got an Isuzu in them I'm going to buy a different brand just for spite. Unless I find a bargain on a Case. I think your right about the Volvo's being a shorter life machine. I think if you can keep them under 5,000 hours and out of the rock they are fine. I have heard about them holding together pretty good till around 8,000 but I wouldn't want to push it. I keep my stuff pretty low houred if I can. My little Case had 2,850 Hours on it when I traded it. What machine do you like in the 240 to 330 size?
I'm probably just going to run it as is until I sell it. That's really what sealed the deal. By the time he plumbed it and put a thumb on it he was crazy not to trade for the deal I made him. His machine is starting to get long in the tooth and he also gained close to 3,000 hours in the deal. BTW, Your up pretty early. Is that because of the new baby?
It sure is hard to go wrong with a Link-Belt. A Deere is good choice too. We had some Deere's when I worked for Jennings, they got beat to hell and kept going.
Oh yeah, but she let me sleep in today! usually we get up at 3 or 4!! oh well had to work this AM anyway!
Cutter Blade Pics That sounds like some of his Hands also. Do you think the Deere Engines have more blowby than other engines? I was down at a friends shop today and snapped a few Cutter Blade Pics. This is an old D7F. Enjoy
More Cutter Blade Pics Here's one you don't see everyday, a bolt on cutter blade. You take the cutting edge off your dozer and bolt this in it's place. It's for a D6 BTW. In the third pic you can see where it bolts in place of your cutting edge. The forth pic is a good picture of a "sawtooth cutting edge" looks like. It the last pic you can see the rear quarter of my "Like New" 1988 pickup that I just traded for.
That's some crazy looking attachments roddyo. I could be wrong, but it seems I remember 25c having some kind of angled cutting blade for a dozer.
I don't think that Deere' engines have more blowby then others, but I could be wrong. They seem to run a long time without many problems. I good friend of mine has big grain farm close to me. He has a lot of Deere tractors, one 7200 with over 18,000 hours with no problems. He has a lot of other ones 7410, 8200, couple 7810's, 7610 etc. They sure seem to run a long time.
Used to see Cutter blades over near the St. Francis river/swamp. Ground is boggy and the trees down in the bottoms are too big to push over with a tractor light enough to get around on the soft ground. Hard on the undercarriage with all the side loading though.
D6C Pulling a Chopper in Paraguay Here's a video from a guy I know down in Paraguay pulling a Chopper with a D6C on his Cattle Farm. It's the Same tractor that's pictured in the "Fabrication Catagory" BTW. http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/erwinklassen/?action=view¤t=Imagen169.flv
Dang...he body slammed that tree with that thing! Cool!
I Agree!!! He did knock the Pee outta that Tree! When Erwin sent me that video he said that was a new operator so he wouldn't be smooth or fast.
Well, he sure a hell wasn't slow about knocking the snot out of that tree! Nice video Rodney.
Like the video roddy,Is that a fire suppression unit on the rear of the cab ? water tank?I always keep a fire extinguisher on the dozer as well as a 5 gal bucket of water when clearing.Love the cutter blades to,we also have a rome plow.Love it!
That is one wild machine! I was wondering if that was a seeder on the back of the cab? You sure don't see anything like that in Wisconsin. Why where they clearing that ground for?
Sorry for the slow reply, other things going on. That's a seeder on the back, BTW nice catch EGS. That's a cattle ranch and when they get time they are always clearing more ground. They chop it and seed it at the same time then come back in around 5 years later and rechop it and take the big stuff out then. That's when it's really considered "cleared". I think maintance is a never ending battle.
You can't get anything by me.