Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rotary or Flail brush cutter on Mini Excavator ?

DDoug ยท 2015-07-27 09:37

I have a friend that just bought a used Gehl 603 mini. He wants a flail cutter for around the farm (limited usage) I told him I could build him a rotary cutter much like the one I made for my skid loader pretty easily, but a flail is way to much work. He thinks he really wants a flail type, and not a rotary type. Having no one nearby that has a flail on a mini, we need opinions (un-biased ones, not from manufacturers).

Replies4
  1. #1lumberjack2015-07-27 17:43

    Rock Hound and U.S. Mowers are two common brands. I had a RockHound 40EX Hammerhead, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. (My other company sells Rock Hound)

  2. #2DDoug2015-07-28 07:02

    Yes, I showed him both those brands. The question is for a UN-BIASED user (not a salesperson), people that have used both flail and rotary. What do you like and dislike of either, and why ? Where is the flail better ? and Where is a rotary better ?

  3. #3lumberjack2015-07-28 08:44

    Everyone is biased; I make more money using than selling (and sell both styles although I am not peddling wares). I chose flail because it can produce a finer chip size and the debris gets thrown (usually) perpendicular to the boom. With a rotary style mower the debris can throw any direction, including at the operator. Flails can cut grass-~4" material, while most mini rotary mowers are happier on the lower side of the spectrum. A flail can also be equipped with a thumb saddle for grabbing things while mowing. There's no reason you couldn't have a saddle on a rotary, but I've never seen one on a mini sized rotary. The flails are considerably smaller than a rotary, allowing you to follow contours/washouts better. While it's not recommended, flails are a bit stronger for walking the ex out of hairy spots. The rotary style mower's deck can rack if you put too much weight on a corner, especially the far side corners.

  4. #4DDoug2015-07-28 10:56

    Thank you, that's much better. This I can print out and give to my friend.