Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rubber Tracks!

IdleUp ยท 2009-01-15 20:50

I'm looking at a small D21 dozer around 9K lbs and it has rubber tracks on it. Since I'll use the machine on small jobs it should be OK and it would be nice to cross over driveways and roads. The question is - in comparison to steel tracks, how much life would one expect when comparing the two? Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Z24O2009-01-15 22:53

    ...and secondly,how do they go for traction compared to single bar grousers on slopes and in clay?

  2. #2willie592009-01-15 23:43

    First of all, you can't compare steel tracks to rubber. Because steel will always and in all circumstances be more durable than rubber, it's comparing apples to oranges. One would choose a rubber track dozer for application more than durability (compared to steel tracks). Let's say, you mostly do dozer work on new subdivision home sites that require you crossing driveways, curbs, and asphalt roads to the next site, that's the ideal environment for rubber track dozers. On the other hand, if all you do is plant that dozer on the dirt and it stays there, that's a steel track job. As for traction, there's no way a rubber track can match the traction (in dirt) of the single bar grouser steel track. Keep this in mind as well, Komatsu is "proud" of their rubber track for D20 and D21 tractors, they're spendy. But there are aftermarket tracks out there, but not a lot of suppliers for them.

  3. #3hi-ball2009-01-16 01:15

    A friend of mine of mine got tired of changing rubber tracks on his New Holland excavator & bought steel track's with bolt on rubber pad's his cost canadain was 2800.00 The rubber tread last's but the rail's insert's do tear out I have seen this on about three different machine's, my opinion would be that steel is far tougher BUT use whatever you have to get it done. hi-ball.

  4. #4farm_boy2009-01-16 08:56

    Atcoequip, I'd agree with most of your points above although there is an exception to your durability statement. If you are working in sand (ie FL) all of time a rubber track machine will give you much better undercarriage life than that of a steel track machine. In addition to your comments of rubber tracks crossing pavement, the other advantage with rubber is higher transport speeds. A rubber undercarriage will allow not only transport on/across paved surfaces, but also allow higher transport speeds.

  5. #5IdleUp2009-01-16 09:04

    My little Kubota KX-61 excavator has rubber pads and it's now reaching 6 years and still in good shape. On a dozer like the D21 what would you guys think would be the average life in years or hours in moderate use. Thanks

  6. #6Turbo218352009-01-16 10:06

    Theres just to many variables to tell you the life. If you are running on rock, or in areas that are going to be tough on rubber tracks you wont get much life on them. Conversely, if you are working nothing but screened topsoil, they will last a good long time. Have any experience running a rubber tracked skid steer in your applications? If so, I would expect a dozer would get double the life of what a rubber tracked skid steer would. I say this simply because of the way i think differently on each machine. If im on the skid steer ill spin around and grab something since im right there. If im on a dozer its "Ill get that on the next pass" Maybe im just strange, who knows.

  7. #7willie592009-01-16 21:40

    No disagreement here, I did not address abrasive conditions on tracks. Sand kills steel tracks because of it's abrasive properties. It's like Turbo21835 said, "just too many variables". I was being more specific to the area conditions experienced by Idleup in Roanoke Virginia. The Shenandoah Valley is more soil/rock than sand. I also agree that the rubber tracks allow higher speeds as well as a much smoother ride. We've sold a couple of rubber track D20's, and the customers who bought them love them. The only thing they don't like is how much the track cost to replace.

  8. #8John C.2009-01-16 21:58

    It has been awhile but a few years ago you could not buy aftermarket replacement tracks for mini dozers. I have a customer with a machine down for a couple of years because he would not pay Komatsu's price. The steel lugs got pulled out of the rubber and now the sprocket just skips when it hits the dead spots.

  9. #9willie592009-01-16 22:13

    That's what I stated earlier, Komatsu is proud of that track. I haven't quoted one for some time now, and I don't know if anyone else is making a replacement, but I do know that Prowler Tracks offered a replacement for the D20's. It was like $2,200, but that was at least a year ago. I'd call 'em and see what they're going for now.

  10. #10Dumpsterdavid2009-02-04 23:55

    I have a used 500mm rubber track for a d21p for sale. 919-932-3344