I bought 3 transcube/fuelcube tanks for a project from a sunbelt auction. I got a good enough deal to justify a little bit of work, but now that I have the access panels off, I'm worried they're too far gone. The tank that is completely empty has a fair amount of surface rust on the bottom and was originally storing gasoline - I planned to use that tank for the same purpose. The other two tanks had diesel in them, and the one that is really orange looking appears to have water contamination. I don't want to risk any equipment, but buying new tanks would be a kick in the pants. I have a legal safe way of disposing of the old contents. If they are viable I would put inline filters. Any suggestions on cleaning them up? They're 48x48x48 approximately so I can really get inside them, nor do I want to.
I'd slosh them around, suck or siphon the fuel out of the lower corner, let it settle in a barrel. Use the top two thirds of the fuel to rinse them again, slosh, siphon and repeat until you're satisfied. Could pressure wash them after the first drain, or at any other point. After all is said and done, let the barrel settle a while and siphon off the top of the fuel for use in something older, drain the water, and use the dregs for starting fires. But that's me.
Look good. I'd run them.
Rust in tanks is a fact of life. Rinse and repeat if you can't blast them internally. Keep them full as possible helps with condensation.
Old retread. But, I like Western Global UL142 transcubes. That’s probably the model 10CG. 250 gallon. Just steam clean them or pay someone to. They don’t look bad to me. You can have them coated, if you are super concerned. I’ve had them epoxy coated for AV gas service. There is a place in Seattle that does it.