Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

RUT MFG mini disc mulcher question

T320FL · 2024-10-23 20:36

Researching good brands without having to spend $20k. The 36" model looks like it would work well on my KX 057-5 without requiring a case drain. The price is $6100 delivered for me but would like to hear owner reviews if possible before the purchase. They said no case drain required for 20gpm or less and my 057 is 19.8 gpm. I heard member "Lawndart" may own one?

Replies28
  1. #1lumberjack2024-10-23 21:34

    I took a quick look on their website, the lack of teeth on top of the disc seems like an issue to me. Only being able to mulch against the ground vs on top of the disc/in the mulcher seems like a buzz kill compared to most disc mulchers.

  2. #2LawnDart2024-10-23 23:07

    I bought my mulcher with both the mulcher disc and a two blade mower that can be swapped out. I have yet to use the two blade, but can say the disc has plenty of teeth around the outer edge that not having any on top is a non issue. I don't mulch on the ground, I just start at the edge of a limb or top of a tree and work it down to chips in no time. The more I use it, the better I am at making small chips. 36" is perfect for the KX057. Its just right and can be extended all the way and the machine feels stable.

  3. #3LawnDart2024-10-24 14:38

    I will say I started out looking at looking at the $20k models thinking it would be the best. But knowing I was not getting it for a business but for personal use it made no sense to spend that much. The disc mulcher from Rut was the best choice and I have no regrets.

  4. #4T320FL2024-10-24 21:05

    Hey that sounds great! Now, after checking out some more reviews here and there, I'm ready to place my order tomorrow morning. Will let y'all know how it works out.

  5. #5LawnDart2024-10-25 00:01

    I am sure you will be happy with it.

  6. #6lumberjack2024-10-26 11:25

    I have a FMX36 on a Yanmar SV100. There are plenty of trees I can't reach to the top, so I'll usually cut out the top, mulching it on the ground, and mulch the remaining trunk vertically. Aside from a lower price, what does a disc mulcher with only teeth on the bottom/sides offer over a fixed tooth mulcher? The disc could cut trunks faster with its larger inertia and smaller cutting kerf. Typically, with teeth on the top, you'd cut the top out (or any material small enough for it to process in "one shot") and it would pull the top in and mulch it in literally a second or two, sending a shower of mulch out the discharge side of the disc. I'm off to YouTube to see if I'm missing something.

  7. #7LawnDart2024-10-26 11:56

    Well first you have a 10 ton EX and the FMX36 is a bit heavy for a 5 ton. I looked at the 28" version and was unable to find one set up for my mount. The bracket cost alone was over half the cost of the Rut Disc mulcher. Looking at used prices, in 5 years I would likely have depreciated more than the cost of the Rut. Now with that put aside. I am not a pro nor do I play one on TV or Youtube. So take my comments for what they are. A Home/land owner that likes his tools. The Rut has a very solid build. The disc teeth on the edge really do a good job helping and I can't see how teeth on top would help much more. No doubt a drum might make smaller chips, but I can reduce a large 6" 15ft tall eastern red cedar to mulch that I can mow over and that's enough for me. I used to dig the trees, then have to haul them to a burn pile. Not any more. I honestly have no regrets choosing this over the Fecon.

  8. #8lumberjack2024-10-27 12:31

    You have a KX057, right? $3k for a mount is outrageous, I've made mounts for considerably less than a third of that. On my 57-4 I ran a BrushHound 40EX Hammerhead, which weighs essentially the same as a FMX36 (slightly lighter, slightly longer). The weight required some care, but it wasn't an issue. I'd put the FMX36 on the 57-4, but it doesn't have a case drain and it's not worth the effort to install just to see. Not using it for hire definitely makes a difference in perspective. I wanted a FMX50 but the deal I found on the 36" made it the clear choice. I don't use it very often, but its hourly rate, minimum charge, and the general handiness to have it makes it easy to rationalize. I could see the extra money not being worth it if you're only working on your own property.

  9. #9LawnDart2024-10-27 18:02

    Yup, I have a KX057-5. The Fecon 28" was pretty pricey without a mount. The Rut Disc Mulcher came with a mount for my coupler at no extra charge. The mount was well over $2k and thats when I gave up looking at drum mulchers. I wanted to be able to work at full extension and still get some cutting in. The extra 8" of cutting area and cost also made it a no brainer to go with what I have. Its great to cut growth around my ponds and fields of sumac and small cedars.

  10. #10T320FL2024-10-28 13:31

    LawnDart, Rut says to use hammer mode #2. I would think using the mower #7 option would work. What is yours set on?

  11. #11LawnDart2024-10-28 15:42

    I will go check on mine in the morning. Its been so long since I set it up I cannot remember. I will let you know.

  12. #12lumberjack2024-10-28 18:03

    On my 57-4 what the mode is called/depicts doesn’t really matter. With the mulcher you want the manual one way valve open, and you want all the flow the machine can offer. I used the same auxiliary mode for running the grapple saw, mulcher, or nothing.

  13. #13T320FL2024-10-28 21:06

    Thanks lumberjack that's what I wanted to know

  14. #14LawnDart2024-10-30 12:57

    I have mine set for the flail mower #7. Also, on the KX057-5 the bypass valve is an electronic setting. Not manual like the -4 model. On mine I have the aux lines on left control set for one way flow. I also have the primary on the right set for two way so I can use the thumb with the mulcher.

  15. #15T320FL2024-10-30 22:23

    That's right, we have the electronic setting on the -5 instead of the manual valve on the -4. That makes it easier to setup everything from the cab and the details you gave is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks! Good news is my mulcher shipped out today.

  16. #16T320FL2024-11-01 21:42

    My new mulcher arrived late this afternoon. It will never be this clean again so had to take a picture. I will have plenty of time to get it all set up tomorrow.

  17. #17LawnDart2024-11-01 23:41

    Nice, I am sure you will love it.

  18. #18T320FL2024-11-03 11:15

    I have everything connected but not sure about my settings in the cab. When I press the right hand switch under the joystick, the hyd hoses at the attachment move like fluid is starting to move through them but the head does not spin. The valve is opened to the right hose on the boom on both sides. Turned the round knob in the cab clockwise for max flow. What else do I need to do?

  19. #19T320FL2024-11-03 11:18

    Tried it in mode 2 and 3 but nothing changed

  20. #20LawnDart2024-11-03 14:08

    On mine, its on the left side where yours looks blank. I have mine on #4 with the flail mower setting. Left side is one way and right side is two way. Next time I am by the ex I can take a pic. but seems your missing a setting. Do you have dual hydraulics or just share the line for the thumb?

  21. #21T320FL2024-11-03 15:01

    I have one aux hyd running down the boom then you can see where it shares with the thumb hyd hose.

  22. #22LawnDart2024-11-03 15:08

    Ok, I have dual hydraulics. So you will only use the right stick and have to change it to one way flow. I can't remember if the rut will spin backward or what. I think I had to swap the hoses. Might be worth contacting your dealer as I am not a pro Kubota guy. I know it was my first hydraulic implement and only took a very short time to figure out.

  23. #23T320FL2024-11-03 15:14

    Switching the hoses did cross my mind but Rut said it was all set up for a kx 057-5. I will call Kubota first thing in the morning then call Rut. Thanks

  24. #24T320FL2024-11-04 11:44

    Got it going! I knew it had to be something simple. Kubota said my setup in the cab was correct so it had to be the reversing of the hoses. Called Rut and they said their hyd pumps only run one way so reverse the hoses and no damage was done.

  25. #25LawnDart2024-11-05 14:13

    Nice to hear it was just the hose thing. Now that its working, how do you like it?

  26. #26T320FL2024-11-05 18:40

    Man that thing is Sweet! It does a very good job. I have plenty of work for it on my property.

  27. #27LawnDart2024-11-08 19:17

    Yup and the cab on the -5 kubota is much quieter than the -4 models. Its also sealed from dust and stuff. When mulching with that cutter, it feels sure footed even at full extension. Only time I saw it feel tippy was when I was on a slight tilt and reached down hill.

  28. #28T320FL2024-11-08 21:20

    Only thing is that I have to keep a strap on my hyd thumb to keep it from creeping down. Not a big deal though so far.