Im a hourly worker also certified diesel tech , millwright, welder (stick mig )and fabicator and run equipment .... how do i take my hourly job and turn it to salary also i work 55 to 60 hours a week
Why would you want to?
Really, why? But if you really want to sell out, crawl across a mile of broken glass and weld yer lips to the bosses back side! Either that or destory enough stuff, tear up enough equipment or cost them so much in workers comp claims they wont have any other choise but to offer you a office job....
Every one tells me not to go salary.
Then you can work 85 hours a week for 40 hours pay!
Hmmm, hourly worker with ample hours. Possibly restricted hours during the slow times or no work to make any hours- vs- salary? I thought about the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I'm working 65 -75 hours/week. Gotta make "hay" when the sun shines. But when the log market drops like it did 2 years ago, then I was looking at resticted hours. A salary would look pretty good. I figured if I was to take the average of my last 3 years,(1st-great with lots of hours, 2nd year with 4 of the12 months at 36hrs/wk max- lousy, and last year okay), and IF management would base a yearly salary on that, I would be content knowing I had an income in the bad months if any were to happen. Heck, I might even go home early on Friday occasionally. Maybe even take a Saturday off. Who am I kidding. I've been goal oriented since I was 12. (49 now) If something needs to be done tonight, so I/we can work tomorrow, I do it. I control my own hours already, if I'm getting tired, I cut myself back. If I was salaried, I'd probably feel like I NEED to do even more. Well that's as far as I got with my salary idea. Didn't even suggest it. Anything they would consider doing would go before the accountants,so there would probably be some contingency for periods with no work. I probably should add that I have been very fortunate to have worked for this company for 28 years, and they have always kept me working year round. Hoping for the same this year. In the end, you have to do what's you feel is best for you.
My last construction job working for someone else(about 10 years ago)- Promoted to Superintendent on a spec building project and put on $1500/wk salary. Drove over 2 hrs each way most every day. Worked about every Sat for 3 month plus a couple of Sundays. Spent a few nights in the office trailer. I would be afraid to guess how many hours I worked. Feeling important and making good money. The company owner was happy and grinning every time I saw him- patted me on the back. The week following the successful completion I replaced the superintendent of a local (10 miles from home)office building project. I was taken back to hourly at $12.00/hr. I found this out only when I received my paycheck. The form carpenters were making $20.00. The secretary that gave me the check said I would need to talk to the company owner- she was just doing what she was told to do. I went home, cleaned the truck out and left it sitting in front of the office. Then stupid me- The company had to go to court to get the final payment (over $480,000.00) on a different job I had been Super on. Knowing down in my heart that it was the right thing to do-I went to testify - about a 3 hour drive away - and the ### did not even buy my lunch.
My understanding is the only people legally able to classify as salary are management. Management means the authority to supervise (including hiring/firing) of at least two other employees. So I'd guess you can't be salary, according to US wage & hour law.
Of course it all depends what salary you can negotiate. By going salary there might also be better benefits.
I have been in this situation a few times, it is a tough call and depending on how many hours they will make you work after salary is negotiated. I went salary one time and the pay was not worth it, the hours increased and the owner thought that my truck was company then with the attitude of, well you are on salary. Never again unless the agreement is in writing and legal.