Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sam’s Club R&O Hydraulic Oil AW 46

Lee_in_Georgia ยท 2021-08-02 14:24

Hi, I maintain a number of Bobcat loaders and excavators. I've always used the Sam's Club R&O Hydraulic Oil and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it? Seems like good fluid and I've never had a problem, but I've also heard a number of people who feel anything but the OEM fluid is sub-par. Obviously, the viscosity has to be correct. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1Welder Dave2021-08-02 17:01

    Find out who makes the oil for Sam's Club. It could give you piece of mind if it's a known reputable supplier. I use Walmart tractor fluid for hyd. oil in my Cat loader but use a name brand in the skid steer with hydrostatic transmission.

  2. #2treemuncher2021-08-02 18:39

    As my cousin, the petroleum engineer, explained to me, anything that passes the certification tests is quality oil stock. Certifications are not given lightly. As long as it meets or exceeds manufacturers requirements, it should be good to go. Lots of people pay big money for fancy names that do no more than a basic named product. Sort of like my Rural King $9.99 jeans compared to whatever they get out of Levis or Wranglers.

  3. #3Welder Dave2021-08-02 19:14

    Reputable sellers will have oil that meets the specs. listed on the container. Have heard of unscrupulous sellers putting something like "comparable to (Cat, etc.) specs." Don't buy that oil, buy oil that says "meets Cat, etc. specs." I get a 5 gallon pail of the Walmart tractor fluid for $50cad. Name brands start at about $75/pail. I used name brand oil in the skid steer because I replaced a hyd. drive motor. General hyd. duty I'll use the Walmart oil.

  4. #4JLarson2021-08-03 00:50

    We'll run any legit AW fluid and often have to on day to day calls, these days our suppliers might have a different brand each week anyway. Only thing we'll use that 303/tractor stuff on is old stuff that leaks like a pasta strainer and we have to put tons in just to limp it somewhere.

  5. #5catman132021-08-03 01:03

    in my CAT track hoe and skid steer i run cat oil , i figure it is cheaper than new pumps and it may cost few bucks more but in the end going cheap usely costs more in the end

  6. #6Nige2021-08-03 10:40

    It's been commented on HEF various times that frequently dealers have offers on fluids and filters that have them priced at the same level as aftermarket. Apart from OEM the next best alternative is oil from a major oil company brand like Mobil or Shell.

  7. #7Lee_in_Georgia2021-08-03 11:31

    Good point, Nige.

  8. #8Lee_in_Georgia2021-08-09 19:22

    Thanks everyone for the advice!