Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Samsung Wheeled Excavator moving help

atgreene ยท 2009-05-17 15:05

I had an older neighbor stop in and want me to haul a Samsung wheeled excavator. It's 80 miles one way, but he does not know weight or size, all he knows is that it has a 45 hp motor. My trailer is only a 14k trailer, so I'm fairly certain it won't fit:Banghead, but he insists it is small. Anyone familiar with Samsung and what a small one would weigh? He's trying to contact the elderly man who has it to try to get #'s and measurements, but in the meantime he's convinced I can move it .

Replies17
  1. #1stock2009-05-17 17:38

    Samsung are now Volvo so if you ask your local dealer he may help. Stock

  2. #2finaldrive2009-05-17 20:10

    45hp motor would probably make it an SE70W Can you provide the exact model?

  3. #3atgreene2009-05-17 21:16

    The guy has no idea. If he wasn't..... how shall we say..... older and perhaps easily confused I'd of told him he was nuts, but he bought it. Doesn't know the model, dimentions, size...... nothing.:Banghead Wants me to move it with my GMC 5500 and 14k trailer. Pretty sure it won't fit. He thinks it weighs 4k lbs. that was my first clue that he may need medication.

  4. #4bigbob2009-05-17 21:35

    Usually the machine will have decals showing which model it is! My guess would also be a 7 metric ton class machine which would be to heavy for your trailer. Maine DOT is out looking for $$$$!

  5. #5atgreene2009-05-17 21:41

    Yup, kinda figured they didn't make any mini wheeled units. Like I said, if he wasn't a senior I'd of told him what I thought of his 4,000 lb estimate. He didn't seem to want to take no for an answer, so we'll see what he comes up with for info for me tomorrow. Thanks.

  6. #6RoadDoc2009-05-18 00:02

    Had a Hyundai R55W. It was around 60 hp and weighed 11000# to 12000# I recall (without attachments). I know Kubota made a very small wheeled excavator a while back (a mini on wheels). I hauled the Hyundai on a six ton gooseneck......one time. Still a crease in that seat! It did great on a ten ton gooseneck if you have access to one. Haven't been able to locate a small Samsung yet. If his machine is 45 hp, you might well be able to haul it, though. 45 hp is your average skid steer. As a general rule you'd think an excavator would need more h.p.

  7. #7Bajak2009-05-18 02:10

    I know Samsung made a 55hp wheeled excavator. I think it was a MX3W , weighed about 10k lbs. or 4 1/2 tonne to us metric guys

  8. #8blueman2009-05-18 08:25

    There's no way to be sure without a model, serial number, or anything to show how old it is. Samsung made all kinds of compact models including wheeled ones. It's all Volvo now and they have a wide range of mini's built out of Europe and Korea. Their EC55/ECR58/EW55 models have 50hp today and weigh around 12,500lb. After checking with a Korean factory rep at Volvo, we're pretty confident this is a forerunner to the EW55B. So weight should be in the 12K range plus/minus. Add a few attachments and could be more. No guarantees but that's the best guess!

  9. #9cps2009-05-18 13:30

    Samsung made a 5.5 ton se55 tracked excavator! smallest wheeled excavator they made was se130w! Volvo made an ew70 and maybe a 5 ton wheeled excavator which where followed on from pel-job

  10. #10blueman2009-05-18 16:07

    cps - Samsung had a 5t wheeled unit before Volvo/Peljob got involved, they may not have marketed it worldwide. The 45hp engine was the critical piece of info. If that's wrong, then all bets are off! The SE130W is the next size up from Samsung and over 20K lbs.

  11. #11AtlasRob2009-05-18 16:13

    The SE130W is the only one I know of this side of the pond and its sure got a bit more than 45 horses,.... many had one donkey also, but thats another story all together

  12. #12atgreene2009-05-18 17:09

    He says it is a MX3W? Time for a google search.:beatsme

  13. #13special tool2009-05-18 17:55

    4.95 metric tons I found.

  14. #14stock2009-05-18 18:07

    one of these wee beasties http://www.skauto.co.kr/upload/goods/20070619091616_picture1.jpg STOCK

  15. #15cps2009-05-18 18:29

    Its true what they say, you learn something new every day! Thanks guys!

  16. #16mikef872009-05-18 19:36

    Samsung did make a wheeled mini, its a Volvo EW 55 B which weighs 12,125 lbs. I have one. My Volvo actually has a Samsung decal in the cab.

  17. #17atgreene2009-05-18 21:21

    Not sure that it will fit, fenders are 78" apart?. I'll need him to get the width before we try this one.