Hi everyone new member, I recently purchased a Scat trak 520v it’s definitely a project. I had mainly been looking at Chinese units but couldn’t shake the cheap feeling and way under weight they feel. This scat trak was the cheapest mini excavator I’ve seen listed for sale on Facebook and this forum really had the only dealings with them. View attachment IMG_1559.jpeg View attachment IMG_1558.jpeg So I bought this machine with a basic function check as the boom cylinder was missing and the wiring is kinda a mess so you loose pilot controls here and there. The hydraulic shop I used was able to locate a Volvo cylinder for 100 bucks and then modify the hard lines to make it work on this application. They also make me some new lines to the cylinder and one pilot control line for 400 bucks so that wasn’t terrible. I was able to get the cylinder installed today and can’t get any boom function, I have oil at the cylinder but no pressure. I noticed the cups on the pilot valve are leaking on the retract side. I have the service manual but I’m a little lost on how to determine if my issue it pilot related or servo side related. Dipper and bucket work. One other issue I have a seems to be these machine weak parts is I believe the gear on the turn motor is toast as I can rotate the dog house by hand. I can hear the motor spin and the gear slip when I try and use the joy stick. I was able to locate a supplier in the us that can get me the slew bearing in about 2 weeks from ordering but I’m trying to locate the gear on the motor, Vermeer can order this gear but they want 1500 plus 6-12 month lead time.
Can’t help with the slew gear but just wanted to say, nice work and looks good. You may be able to get a parts machine as I see them on FB Marketplace from time to time as I have a Scat Trak skid and can say these little machines are well built.
Finally had a chance to get this swing motor out and the main bearing needs to be replaced not an issue there still very available. My issue is I can’t locate a pinion gear. Ordered one through Vermeer a few months ago and and they just canceled the order today so I’m kinda lost.
Considering buying one a 520V from a neighbor if I can get it for a low enough price. It's been sitting for at least 5 years. Mind me asking what you paid? Would you do it again after working on it a bit? Know parts are hard to get. Believe from my research they were made in Italy by Libra from 1988-2003. Then in 2004 Cams Macchine bought Libra? Hoping to cross reference Libra model number with Scat Trak 520v.
I paid way too much, and honestly as long as your slew motor and gear/ slew bearing aren’t toast you are golden. Mini excavator center in the uk can order parts from cams group but be prepared for sticker shock. The slew motor with planetary great box is 6k into the us. Slew gear is 2500. The pinion gear is 2200 of you gear box and slew motor are fine. I’ve decided to just part the machine or sell to someone who wants to take a stab at it. Super cheap. Shame seems like a nice machine, simple to work on and honestly other then the slew parts it’s a super simple machine and I was honestly bummed I couldn’t save it. I’m currently looking at a Kubota KX018-4 or a KOMATSU pc18mr-2 as a replacement.
Don’t feel there is a reasonable way to adapt a different slew motor and box?
I took the slew components to a hydraulic shop that does a lot of work for people in nyc and they couldn’t match it. The slew gear sticks out very far and nothing they had would match.
I am sure there are some machine shops that could have made a new pinion for you, in alloy steel and hardened it. Maybe for say 1500 bucks. Would that save your machine?
I found one machine shop that specialized in gear cutting in nj, he looked at the gear and told me to order a new slew ring then bring it and the gear and he could fix mine at a cost more then just ordering a new gear from mini excavator center they are a cams group parts dealer. The northeast doesn’t have a lot of little skilled machine shops anymore.