Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scat Trak Mini Excavator no joystick controls

BuckNasty · 2024-05-21 00:02

I picked up a scat trak 520v thats been passed from a few owners due to parts available. I got it home after i made sure it ran and had hydraulic pressure. The swing motor and boom cylinder were missing. After a 6month wait i finally got a swing motor from italy. I havent installed it yet because i need to track down another fitting for it. I have all the lines capped off. It tracks and steers, and the dozer blade works flawlessly, however i have no working cylinders on the boom. I pulled the lines off while its running and its getting hydraulic fluid without engaging the joysticks. Do they work as shut offs? So killing flow in either direction lets them operate?

Replies28
  1. #1Kobe Steel2024-05-21 09:13

    you may have oil coming from the lines that is at tank/reservoir pressure. Dozer blade and tracks are usually on cable control, joysticks are normally pilot controlled. look for a lever lock solenoid on a manifold somewhere around the base of the cab frame and check that it is being energized to the battery supply when the lever lock is in the operating position. These machines may also have joystick pattern changers below each joystick, if so , ensure the levers for the pattern changers are all the way into position and not floating between 2 positions.

  2. #2BuckNasty2024-06-04 21:13

    Thank you, yes trying to trace down all the connectors, i have the manuals but not helpful. Definitely a pilot issue. It has the control switch ive moved it a few times. Cracked the lines at the cylinders it its got a little bit of flow. Just not opening and closing

  3. #3BuckNasty2024-06-04 22:04

    To late to start it, but i figured it out i believe. Theres a momentary switch in the dozer blade handle that is setup to 2 grounds. When power is applied through a test light one of the solenoids click off. Left side lever safety switch is missing. Assumed it didnt cone with one. Because i looked for it forever. I guess it had 3 wires to it. 2 of them are linked across with a fuse im assuming to bypass the lever safety.

  4. #4Kobe Steel2024-06-05 05:02

    sounds like you have got it sorted, nice work.

  5. #5West22732024-06-05 18:14

    Hi, Please my Hyundai 215 leavers to hard to move,we change hydraulic pomp yet still same problem please help.

  6. #6Kobe Steel2024-06-06 03:40

    Hi Are you able to give more of a description of the problem. What functions are not working? Do the levers have a lot of resistance when trying to move in a certain direction? are both levers hard to move or is it just one?

  7. #7West22732024-06-06 13:37

    The Leavers are hard to move especially when you are digging and also when you try to raise the boom higher and then the leavers becomes too stiff to control.And yes two leavers

  8. #8West22732024-06-06 13:48

    Yes both levers are sometimes too stiff to move especially when digging the ground and also when raising the boom to higher.we have changed mechanics several times and none of them are able to solve this problem

  9. #9Kobe Steel2024-06-07 06:17

    It may be possible that either your joysticks tank line pressure is too high or your pilot pressure is set too high. check the following... Pilot pressure should be 40 bar(+/- 5 bar) measured at the test point of the pilot pump Joystick tank line pressure should be lower than 3 bar. If the pilot pump has been replaced, check that it is the correct type. The Kawasaki pilot pumps have internal or external relief drain options. hope this helps. best regards

  10. #10BuckNasty2024-07-05 17:51

    Messed around with it some more, still no luck. Previous owner bypassed the safety switch with a fuse to bridge the blue with red/ grey with red spots, grey with red line is left alone. None are powered. All grounds. Momentary switch in the dozer control is ground only as well. Anyone know which wire should be powered? I have the manuals and theyre no help. No pilot controls at all

  11. #11Kobe Steel2024-07-06 06:35

    See attachment pdf. I have highlighted the lever lock solenoid. Power up this solenoid with a fused protected supply voltage in order to get the pilot hand controls to work. If the coil is damaged then see if it can be swapped with the travel 2 speed coil as a temporary repair. Kind regards

  12. #12BuckNasty2024-07-06 15:45

    Th Thank you, do you happen to know which wire should have power? Havent found anything with positive power. Before i go undoing all the loom to trace each one back

  13. #13Kobe Steel2024-07-06 17:24

    I could not find an electrical diagram for your machine so I cant point out which wire is your power supply sorry. The power to the lever lock solenoid will either be direct from one of the 2 lever lock switches or from a switch over power relay that is switched by the lever locks. I will try and see if I can find some more information for you online. Let me know if you would like a digital copy of the the parts manual. Kind regards

  14. #14BuckNasty2024-07-06 17:42

    Ok thank you, i check power at the lever lock and there is none. All grounding out. The leverlock switch is missing so one wire is not used. The other 2 are fused together. Only other switch ive tracked down regarding them is a momentary in the dozer blade. And that does not have power either. I have both manuals printed

  15. #15Kobe Steel2024-07-06 18:12

    The momentary switch on the dozer blade will most likely operate the change over valve. see pdf attached. I would think that the bypass fuse link in the lever lock circuit along with the dozer blade switch should have a power feed when the key is on but it is shorted to ground going by your description. Are there 2 lever locks and switches one for the left side of the cab and one for the right or is there just one lever lock on the left?

  16. #16Kobe Steel2024-07-06 18:42

    Found this post on the forum which may be helpful to know in future for your machine. See attached.

  17. #17BuckNasty2024-08-04 21:22

    Update. Started chasing wires.. and not its fixed. Not sure what i moved to make it work. But it works haha. So just gonna pull everything connection and clean and make sure theyre tight. Trying to track down a few more parts for it. Such a hard machine to fond parts for. I have to manuals and parts booms but theyre useless. Need a boom cylinder most importantly.

  18. #18BuckNasty2024-08-24 16:20

    Back at it again. No joysticks. Started playing with relays. I swapped the pilot relay over and it worked. But wouldnt start. Swapped back over. Starts. No pilot controls. Put 4 other relays in from an identical machine that works. And no change. ‍♂️

  19. #19Kobe Steel2024-08-31 17:23

    That's very confusing Do you have an electrical schematic that you can share?. Would it be possible to wire up your own lever lock relay and switch system separate to the machine? Kind regards

  20. #20ansona2024-12-12 12:19

    Hi, How did you make out with this. I have one too running well accept for the swing - ha ha. I'm working on it. Hydraulic motor is ok but teeth are shredded so I pulled it apart to replace the pinion gear. Would like to hear where in the world you found your part if you don't mind sharing...

  21. #21BuckNasty2024-12-12 12:34

    I finally figured it all out. Im now a pro at this machine haha. I ended up just chasing the harness around and double checking everything. Ended up being a tempermental relay. Got a few bugs to work out but other then that im good to go. Parts are hard, italy and australia. The swing motor i waited 8 months from italy. It was brutal. I just found another machine that I bought and will be parting out. There was a few pieces i was needing which basically left this machine unusable. Let me know what parts your looking for and when i strip the machine down ill send you prices and pictures. Im located 20mins north of New York City

  22. #22ansona2025-06-12 12:22

    I got a swing pinion shaft/gear from a place in Italy. Used that to rebuild the swing motor. The key is knowing it uses Comer Planetary Drive (that's a company) components. What do you use for hydraulic oil? Is it 10W30 motor oil? Diesel oil? Hydraulic fluid?

  23. #23HarleyHappy2025-06-14 07:46

    For Scat Trak it’s motor oil.

  24. #24ansona2025-06-14 12:30

    Looks like my final drive motor on the right side has suddenly decided to leak really bad - arrrg...

  25. #25HarleyHappy2025-06-15 08:40

    Is it a CharLynn?

  26. #26ansona2025-06-15 20:54

    IDK yet. I'm gonna pull it out of the brush tomorrow. I decided to lay off the oil and wait for a ramp truck with a winch, and another set of eyes to see where all that oil is coming out. I don't have much history with the machine. But, meantime I do thank you for the reply HarleyHappy and appreciate any tips. Would the Char-Lynn be a good motor or something to cringe at? I was thinking I'd be doing a rebuild, maybe just replacing a seal if I'm lucky?

  27. #27HarleyHappy2025-06-16 07:55

    I have or had Charlynn drive motors on my Scat Track 1300C skid steer but my left side blew the front seal out and it filled the chain case with motor oil. The splined shaft and front bearing are a 1 piece unit and being that I had some side to side movement and back and forth movement, I looked into getting a rebuild kit. It was 3 time the cost as an unbranded new unit from Fridays Parts. I put in the unbranded drive and have over 300 hours on it and am quite happy with it.

  28. #28ansona2025-06-17 10:21

    I opened the back cover and hiding under there is a cracked 90' metal fitting that sits between the hose connectors and the motor. Yay... I must have hit a stump and caught it just right. I didn't damage the hose but I torqued that 90 fitting. That explains the sudden oil loss. I just assumed those connectors were directly onto the motor, but no. I think the motor is fine. This is a 520v excavator with SOM drive motors (made by Comer?). Thanks for the reply!