Hi folks I'm just looking for a bit of advice, I've been a field heavy equipment mechanic in Scotland for around 25years and I've been thinking about heading to America, (NC) for work, I don't know if it's possible but, if it is, some advice would be appreciated. Thanks
I can't help you with working in America but if you can't get into America Canada is also an option. There is a shortage of skilled workers here as well. Terry
Working on equipment in a kilt doesn't sound safe. Welcome to the forum!
Thanks Terry, I've been approached by a few companies in Canada and the US and it's a bit daunting, I didn't realise there was a shortage in Canada and the other thing I found out was in Canada my qualifications don't count and I would have to be an apprentice again but I don't know if that's true or not, but I will keep on digging. I posted just to see if anyone else had made the move because one way or another we are leaving the UK.
It makes a man out of you, or a woman if you're not careful
Canada would welcome you. Yes we do have apprenticeships for every recognized trade but you can likely challenge the exams and get your Red Seal, which I believe is recognized in many countries worldwide. The tests are not difficult. I can only speak for Alberta but the provincial tests were theory based and honestly not that difficult. The Red Seal exams were experience based and with the amount of years you have under your belt I don't think you'd have trouble with it. You would need to speak to the apprenticeship board in the province you intend to move to for specific information on your situation since the apprenticeship program isn't standardized countrywide.
Victor, first of all welcome. You might be able to journey in to the operating engineers union in the right location. I'd say it is worth a few emails. Try my little hall at https://www.iuoelocal612.org/ It's a good benefit package that would travel with you whichever employer you are at. I have had dozens of gigs and every one of them paid into the pension I am about to start taking. Every one of them contributed to our medical bank, which is down a bit after several trips, but still at 7 months. I could retire now and our medical is covered through the end of August. They might have the answers to some questions.
I don't really know what you need but having worked with plethora of illegal Mexicans I'm sure you will be fine in the us. One of my friends, also my diesel mechanic, is 22 and is pretty swamped with work, you having more experience than he has age I'm sure you can find money somewhere.
Probably 40% of the mechanics I worked for over the last 43 years did not have qualifications. Some of those were better mechanics than some of the ones with qualifications. I challenged five trades qualification exams and passed them all. I don't think you would have a problem based on your experience. I would be willing to bet that if you came here and brought your Scottish qualifications and a resume you would find a job the first day if not the first place you applied. A lot of big companies and crown corporations require proof of qualifications but most smaller companies and a lot of truck and equipment dealerships do not.
There are a few companies in Alaska that sponsor H-B1 visa workers for the tourism industry including mechanics for the tour bus fleets and lodge maintenance. The trick will be finding a company to sponsor you. I bet you could find a Caterpillar dealer to sponsor you. Or, just cross the Southern boarder like everyone else.
A red seal trade qualification from any Canadian Provence except Quebec is recognized across Canada (except Quebec). At work, most of the mechanic helpers 10 years ago took a night school coarse and challenged the Red Seal test. Good luck wherever you land. Cam
Come to Oklahoma. I’ve got a job waiting for you, can help you find a place to stay etc. No BS.
Generally you can challenge the Red Seal test only if you can prove your hours in the trade. That said, if you're a good mechanic a reputable shop would likely pay you what you're worth and at least help you to obtain your ticket and Red Seal.
Why are you leaving ? Please indulge us with some info on the state of affairs over there.
Thanks for the info, I will check it out, I've had a few interested companies from both Canada and America, I not to worried about the red seal as like you say I've got a few years under my belt
Oh, that would take forever , but suffice to say that Scotland has become Germany just before the second world war, and all the folks that don't want to work are living high on the hog and the small percentage that do work FULL TIME are paying for it and if you voice your opinion on this you can potentially get arrested and I'm not kidding
Ok can you send me some details if you can, my email [email protected]
Canada is not much better off TBH. I'll just leave it at that. If it wasn't for family I'd have immigrated to the middle of nowhere in Montana, Idaho or Wyoming.
Yes I know, it's the same over here, my journey man had hardly went to school and didn't have a qualification to his name but he was the finest heavy equipment mechanic I've ever worked with, it was him that made me go to college and get my papers, and at the time in Scotland it was a 5 year deal but as soon as I got my drivers license at 17 he put me out on the road and told me you'd better learn quickly and 26 years later I'm still learning
Thanks for the info, I'm not looking to move Purley for a financial gain it was more for space and a new way of life is probably the biggest driving force, also Canada seems to look after there trades a lot better than in Scotland, there's also the fact that I would be an immigrant and I really wouldn't want to be taking another man's job.
Thanks, I will send them an email and see what they say.
I can tell you that there is a huge shortage of diesel mechanics in both North and South Carolina, (hell, a shortage of anybody who will work), and no real red tape as far as getting a job. The bigger outfits might make you sit through a few safety classes, the smaller outfits will just put you to work. SC and NC are what they call "right to work states" so it is illegal to make you join a union just to work somewhere. There is no real union presence except in large companies, and a few of their subcontractors. Basically, if you are an experienced mechanic, choose what you want to work on, choose where you want to live to do it, and start working.
Thanks, I've been speaking to a guy at Morgan construction in NC, but I thought it. would be impossible to get visa to work.
I know it's like that over there, I've been keeping an eye on the news but there seems to be a lot more like-minded people like us the just want to go work and get on with life, in Scotland the government are in at everything you've got, so it tends to scunner you a bit
I always told apprentices when they completed their apprenticeship they were now approved to learn on their own as being a mechanic means you never stop learning because the trade is always evolving.
Diesel mechanics ? or do you mean truck and or heavy equipment mechanics? Diesel mechanic is a misnomer, I'm sorry I just get sick of outfits advertising jobs like that.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who despises that term.
It depends on the shop. Not many but there are shops where mechanics are strictly rebuilding engines that have been taken out of equipment and that is what they do full time. They don't pull the engines or put them back in. If the job is doing the full gamut on trucks or equipment then the job description should specify that. If the job is strictly engines it could be listed as diesel mechanic for rebuilding shop.
A little late for that dream bud; All three of those states have been flooded with retirees and tech folks from CA. Pay is still nothing, housing costs are insane, and so are most of the folks flooding in. To the OP; From what I've seen with all the openings and companies desperately hiring, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get sponsored to move out for work. You have a good resume set up on Indeed? I've had an endless stream of headhunters and job offers come in through there (all requesting relocation). Wouldn't be hard to wheel and deal with some of the outfits, although you'd probably get locked into a contract.
I was browsing property online in rural Idaho a year or 2 ago. I was actually shocked by how cheap it was. Even with the exchange rate a comparable house with land was around $50-$100k less than it was around here. How much do they typically pay in those states? We get our nuts taxed off up here on absolutely everything. Probably 40-50% of our earnings disappear to the tax man if you count all the BS taxes we have. I kid you not they literally made up an additional tax to put on alcohol.
The pandemic ruined those states for the long time residents. Much of what was true in 2019 is no longer.
Idaho loves to tax. Besides Alaska, it’s my next favorite state. But, that state income tax, oooof! Meh, it’s a nice place to live if you like Californians. . I sold my Rathdrum place in 2018. I should have kept it.
You won't be taking anyone's job, the "they took er jobs" ended a long time ago, now it's just jobs
Victor, This outfit hires a lot of H-B1 employees including mechanics. Good place to work. Could get your foot on the door on your way to citizenship. https://hollandamericaprincess.pinpointhq.com/maintenance
.
I just used it as sort of shorthand, maybe "heavy duty mechanic" would be better. Around here, I only know 2 guys who are truck mechanics, or heavy equipment mechanics, one of each, actually. One is an independent who only works on trucks and trailers, the other is the only mechanic for the (construction & forestry) Deere store. That and a Mack parts and service dealer are the only dealerships for 60 miles. The guy who owns the Mack place also owns a large heavy civil construction outfit, so you might well have Mack on your shirt and still work on dozers 3 days a week. If you work for a logging outfit, you work on whatever they need most, truck or tractor. Most of the independents work on everything bigger than a p'up their customers own.
Alberta typically pays the highest wages for trades people in Canada and is much cheaper to live in than places like Toronto or Vancouver. I've worked with a couple people who have gone elsewhere but came back. Sometimes it can seem like there are greener pastures but it's not always the case.
BC's wages for mechanics are pretty close. Good buddy of mine there makes the same rate as I do in Alberta but the cost of living there is a lot higher. Houses are stupid expensive though even up in the Interior.
Well, since we are all trying to be the chamber of commerce, we also have a low cost of living, and I bet our 71f (22c) today beat canadian temps!
How about Nova Scotia? There is a trailer park located there I’d like to visit. Try some Newfie Steak, hot Hamburg sammies and other Canadian culinary delights.
Sorry to continue to derail a serious thread, I just want to know what a Scottish mechanic tirade against a machine, boss, customer or other object of derision sounds like.
Me too. I’ll wait until 2023 to hear that.
Good morning Victor. I started my business predominantly in Scotland and spent around 5 years up there with Cat D8 and boxes. The name McDade is one I’m familiar with.Are you related to Geordie,John,Willy? Regards Nicky Lamb
Morgan Corp in Charlotte (one of their division offices)? They are a first class heavy civil outfit, their HQ is quite close to me. Lots and lots of equipment.
Very interesting discussion, I would like to hear something from Nige and others in the LATAM area.
If you get to s rural area, land/housing is cheaper, no stupid unions or apprentice requirements, and people leave you alone. It will be harder to get a sponsor for your visa while in Scotland but once your here that's relatively easy.
Doug, I think there is a significant difference between what Victor is asking about and what I did throughout my career. He's looking to emigrate, I went the expat route which meant that all sorts of stuff from visas to work permits, health care to accomodation, plane tickets to/from, etc, were all the responsibility of the employer. I always kept a house back home that I could come back to after finishing a contract. Which brings me to another point regarding the LATAM area. Everything was pretty much contract work, and what isn't is generally paid under local terms and conditions salary-wise. The good old "I was looking for a job when I came here, I'll be looking for one when I leave" type of thing. There is contract work pretty much always available with the big mining outfits but it is often never advertised, you hear about it via the bush telegraph. Another downside is that the available positions are mostly at senior supervisory or management level. Thinking back the last job application I ever made was back in the last century, everything else since then came from someone contacting me. Then we come to the issue of language. A reasonable level of Spanish and/or Portuguese is a must. Without either of those the only countries open to you are Guyana & Suriname. I'm not sure this is what Victor is looking for.
Yep I know what you mean, I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, there's that many titles
How about working on large diesel engines on Locomotives ? How about a field mechanic in the UK (for now) to get into the company ?
More info needed. Do you have a family that will be coming with you? Your age? Preference for schooling of children? What type of atmosphere does the wife want? What type of heavy equipment? Construction? Forestry? Does it matter to you? If single, none of the above apply.
No worries, I'm a field heavy equipment mechanic, I work on ADTs, dozers, excavators and all that type of equipment, I do my own welding and most of my spark work I haven't worked in a workshop since I was 18, you probably know yourself that in that role you need to wear a lot of different hats
Hi bud, wherever I go I will be heading over alone to get established, then my wife would head over, I'm not sure with the whole Canada/ America visa situation and all so sponsorship, I know if I'm sponsored I will be tied to that company for a period of time but that doesn't bother me as long as it's field work as I have been doing this for over 20years, as for young kids and schooling my son has just finished university and forging his own path so all good there as long as I keep the cash coming , and as for equipment, well is mostly construction equipment, ADTs, dozers, excavators and all that good stuff, I have worked on harvesters and some logging equipment and a small amount of mining equipment, I don't really specialise in one thing only, I do most of my own welding and spark work. So I'm not really to bothered about what I'm working on just as long as I'm working and if I'm not sure about something I'm definitely not to proud to ask because everyday is a school day in this trade, my wife doesn't drive so we would hopefully live somewhere close to shops, and public transport. You can send me an email if it's easier at. [email protected] .
Not good but to be fair I'm a very very patient man
Hi bud, thanks for the info, I've got a resume on indeed and being locked in to a company for a period of time doesn't really bother me as long as everything is square and I'm doing field work.
Sorry bud, I'm 44
They seem to be a good outfit, I have to give the hiring manager a call next week so we'll see how it goes.
There is a railroad in NE England (and maybe up to Scotland) called "Freightliner". The locomotives are made in the USofA, and I'll bet that they want some people to work on them at the customer's location. If you got in there (Wabtec) you could prove yourself locally, then move to the states, or anywhere else.
Keep us in the loop, Victor. Let us know how things go.
If you’ve been a mechanic for 25 years I would say pick a state and town you want to live and I would almost bet first diesel mechanic shop you or equipment dealer you went into would hire you on spot. Anymore if you have that experience and they don’t want you I would call it their loss unless they are fully staffed with employees and really don’t need anymore
Well, the whole I-9 thing is the problem with that plan.
I certainly will, it's just going to take a bit of time to get the right set up
Finning is over in Scotland too are they not? If you got in there I wonder if they'd let you take up a job position in Canada. They've got the entire western Canadian territory to themselves.
Finning is the largest Cat dealer with multiple locations. Maybe you'd be interested in working in the oilsands in Alberta. Lots of work and good money. Some people live up there and some have a schedule where go up for a week or 2 and then come back to Edmonton for a week or so or something along those lines. Actually I know the Cummins service manager (for up there) who's based at Suncor but covers all the big outfits. He rides at my MX track and I think he said they were looking for people when he was out in the fall. I could text him if you might be interested.
Only trouble with Finning in the oilsands is when they need people they hire like crazy. Moment it slows down they start laying off. Other than that they're a pretty decent outfit to work for.
The guy I know is with Cummins not Finning.
If you are looking stateside here in the US, I would be researching different geographic areas. I don't think getting a job anywhere here in this country will be an issue for someone like yourself. This is a pretty divided country in these times so the location of where you work will need to meet your own lifestyle expectations. If you want a happy life and a happy wife.........the location is going to be everything!
Yep you are so right, I'm scoping places just now while I'm off on holiday. All the best jim
Yes Dave that would be brilliant if you could, I've had a few party's interested both in Canada and America which is a bit mind-blowing, I didn't realise there was such a high demand, if it's easier to email, my address is [email protected] , my son thought it would be funny to put a different name in.
I am in the camp that says you can find a job anywhere you look if your paperwork is in order, and quite a few even if without paperwork. If it at all fits in your budget you need to take a tour of the USA. Decide what type of place you want both weather and political climate. Pick a few locations and then visit them before accepting a job offer.
There's an authentic Scottish pub in my town if that helps your decision
Try to avoid them crazy ass Canadians
Finning is a nightmare place to get a job, it's a very small team and you need to be a relation before they let you in the door
Yeah they aren't the easiest place to get in over here either. Good pay, benefits and pretty consistent training.
Don't forget tire tax when you buy a new car.
Then the luxury vehicle tax if you spent more than $100k on it.
I will send him a text. I remembered he told another rider who was a HD mechanic to apply. Edit: I sent him a text so hopefully will here back in a day or 2.
Sureway Construction is a huge and is looking for contractors and apprentice or journeymen technician's and journeymen and apprentice mechanics. There must be a difference. Pay is $87 to $106K/yr for employee's. They have over 600 pieces of heavy equipment as well as trucks and several subsidiary companies, gravel pits, etc. Sureway Construction Group Jobs (with Salaries) 2022 | Indeed.com Canada
He also wants to tax me for buying pickup or suv instead of a fuel efficient vehicle
Don't forget to let him know how lovely and warm it is in Alberta during the winter months
Whatcha talking about? Its only -8°C today!
Nice thing about a place like Sureway is they have a new Ultra modern shop and it will be warm in the winter. They are less than 10 minutes from where I live. I posted a pic. of their new shop a couple years ago. I'll see if I can find it. It's like an operating room.
,,,,and the new guy will probably NOT be working in it. New guy get's the worst job, doing outside work.
Typically new guys are supervised a little more so more likely to be inside unless the person supervising likes the cold.
Well that's it's sorted, I got a job in Calgary
Nice! Alberta's where its at IMO and Calgary is great. Nice and close to Banff. Revelstoke is not an outrageously long drive either if you want to go snowmobiling.
Great! Welcome to Alberta. Who is the employer if we can ask? Calgary is typically warmer than Edmonton. If you ride an MX bike Calgary has an MX park in the middle of the city. I think the only one in N. America.
Good to hear Victor! As big cities go Calgary has some positives like the most sunny days for a large city in Canada, fairly smog free. I have a heavy duty mechanic friend that lives there currently working in Fort McMurray. The city feels less oppressive than Edmonton or Winnipeg. Short summers though and traffic sucks like most big cities.
A big benefit is your Healthcare will be mostly covered in Canada. If the employer has Healthcare benefits (most do) you could have up 100% of prescriptions covered as well. Some employers also provide eye glasses or contact lenses and some even provide for work boots and coverall allowance if they don't already supply them. I haven't heard back from the guy I know with Cummins so it's great you found another job.
Welcome to North America, Victor. Best of luck with your new gig.
Emphasis on the NORTH part....think he'll get here before winter is over ? Blood's got to thicken up slowly, can't just get off a plane at -30f.....
Its above freezing in Calgary right now lol.
I think it was 9C in Calgary yesterday. We're having a warm trend in Alberta now. Calgary is also known for chinooks that really warm things up.
Thanks very much , I'm not there yet, I've got a few things to get sorted first, I will keep the employer under wraps just now,I don't want to jinx it, but they seem like a really decent, nice and understanding kinda guys, with the likes of computer diagnostics, unless you work in a dealer in Scotland, we don't have it and trouble shooting is done the old fashioned way which isn't necessarily a good thing, but they've said not to worry as a training I need or want they will be more than happy to give so happ days
Hi digger, the coldest temp I've ever worked in was -27c, in Scotland, so I definitely will have some adjusting to do
I did not know what all you get up in Scotland temp wise, you'll do just fine by the sounds of it.
Cheers digger, I'm a bit nervous but I suppose it's only human.
If you go back to his OP he said he wanted field work, not shop.
Yes, we all would be in your situation. Travelling very far, new country, new job.
Field work? welcome to the wrong side of the road
Been doing over 20 years, if I go in a workshop I come out in a rash
Because your toolbox (on the truck) has a fully stocked bar, and in the shop you can't hide it ?
Nah, it ain't fully stocked, it's all scotch!
In the 1700's my really great grandma left France (German part) for the Volga river area Russia, then my 3rd great grampa left Russia in 1876 to settle in Kansas. Both voyages we're by ship, a proposition that would shake me pretty hard even now. Many people left for better life and I congratulate you for doing the same.
Thank you very much
For medicinal purposes only
You're going to need it, being a field mechanic in Canada! I work in a much more hospitable clime, and I like Canadian whiskey!
I can honestly say I've never tried Canadian whiskey, but I will give it a go
, No I just could never stand being stuck in a workshop, even as an apprentice, when I was 17 my boss came up to me with a set of keys and a sheet of paper and said, I can't look at your face any more get out there's a list of jobs and sites go do that.
I'm just trying to figure out what he's gonna sound likewhen he says "eh?".... No offense Victor, my grandmother was a Scot, a Melville. Ed
Some say a good Canadian whisky is much better than American whiskey like Jack Daniel's. Sorry I'm not a whiskey drinker but know some who are. Canadian beer has more alcohol content too.
Hi ED, it's a short shape "A"
CANADA!? IN THE WINTER!? YIKESSSSS!!!!!!!
Here's a tutorial:
You guys do realize much of Canada is further south than Scotland, don't you? Best wishes on your new venture. Part of my ancestors left Scotland just ahead of the kings men. They made the mistake of backing Bonnie Prince Charles.
I think if they done one for Scotland it would probably be the same just more aggressive for no apparent reason
gratuitous aggressiveness, kilts will do that for ya in the winter.
Any Updates? Victor how did you make out?
Jack Daniel’s is cheap crap. The better whiskeys and bourbons aren’t lighter fluid. I do enjoy Canadian club and sprite for smooth cheap easy drinking. Can’t say I have run into much Canadian beer, I prefer Mexican beers over American beers by far.
Buddy of mine. His wife went to nursing school with a friend of her's. They both got jobs in American hospitals. After a few years of working in New York city, buddy's wife got a call from her friend about a nursing job at the hospital where she worked in Texas. She applied and got the job. The friend met and married a state trooper. Brian Stubbs. My buddy went to Texas to meet up with his future wife. They had went together in highschool and decided to meet up. He and Stubbs hit it off. buddy ended up getting married, and Debbie moved back here to NB and she got a job at the local hospital. The 2 couples would visit each other every couple years. It was cheaper for the 2 in the US to come to Canada. Stubbs fell in love with Canadian beer. We used to be amazed at how it set him on his ass so fast. She got tired of Texas, and with her parents getting older, she convinced Stubs to leave crime infested Port Arthur, and move to New Hampshire so she could be closer to her parents. Used to all the action in Texas, Stubbs couldn't handle the quiet of being on a police officer in such a quiet area. He started drinking, lost his job, and became abusive. She left him, and came back to NB. He moved back home, and roomed with one of his old co workers. His room mate went out for a morning run, and when he came back, Stubbs had taken his service revolver and ended it all.
He obviously had some serious issues that maybe could have been treated. A current commercial on TV claims 1 in 4 Canadians suffer from anxiety attacks.
It doesn't help that men aren't encouraged to seek help with their mental health either. In fact its often frowned upon and it shouldn't be.
He seemed a really level headed guy anytime he came to Canada for a visit. But he really loved Canadian beer. We even took him snowmobiling a couple times. 2/3s of all suicides are men
It is a problem for sure. I think a lot of guys feel like they are less of a person(or man) if they go for therapy or see a counselor. It's a good thing they are trying hard to change the stigma of seeking help for mental issues. I think I read where everybody has some type of issue(s) even if they are quite minor and don't really need therapy. It takes a strong person to admit they could use some help dealing with things. What I think is really backwards is psychiatrists who prescribe pills are covered by most benefit or insurance policies but psychologists who can't prescribe pills but have to actually have to talk to you aren't covered. I experienced this 1st hand after having what was thought to be encephalitis following a wrongful dismissal. I'm positive stress was a big contributor. As soon as I felt comfortable talking a psychiatrist put me on an anti- depressant. He never even got into what was bothering me or the loss of my job. I stopped taking it after about 3 days because I didn't think I needed it. I just wanted to talk to someone professional about what was bothering me. I went to my next 5 minute appt. and said I stopped taking the pills. The Dr. said I shouldn't have stopped and basically ended the appt. Not only that he cancelled my next appt. and never rescheduled another one. Before I ever went to the hospital I paid to see a psychologist. He was really good but the morning of my next appt. is when I lost my memory and my dad rushed me to the ER because I was totally out of it and making up words. I was in the hospital for 5 weeks. The psychiatrist I had in the hospital was worse than useless. I thought the next one recommended bt my family Dr. would be better. He was but not as far as seeing what was troubling me. He did set up tests to see how my memory was doing and I was at above grade 12 level. The only issue that was a concern was my short term memory but it gradually improved. He said I'd probably always have trouble with short term memory. I would love if psychologists were covered by benefits or insurance plans. It's really stupid they aren't!
Inusrance 100% and most doctors that accept it aren't about fixing the problems just drugging enough to cover it up. Seen it happen over and over. What's crazy is all the reports about the wealthy vs not wealthy neighborhoods waste water. Wealthy people it's vitamins and the poor is anti depresents, somehting to think about, i think. Finding a doctor not trying to scam people for more money is a long hard process and most people only see a doctor when they're already on a deadline and can't play the long game and the industry knows it.
They claim they don't but I'd bet the Dr's. get kick backs from the drug companies.
Hi bud, I'm just waiting on the Alberta training board verification for my British qualifications and my hours worked in the trade so I can challenge the red seal exam
Have you already come over, or are you doing this remotely somehow?
No, I'm still I Scotland, everything is done online,so as soon as they say I have enough hours to challenge the exam, I'm in and can get my work visa sorted.
Is there still the option to come (as an apprentice) if you don't pass the exam?
No, because I can prove my hours since I was an apprentice I can challenge the exam it just takes time, the deal is if you have 8000hrs +4.5 years experience you can't be an apprentice as far as I know but it's just a waiting game now
If you don't pass the journeyman tests you're still an apprentice as far as I know in Alberta. Hours only matter in that you have to have a minimum for each year of the apprenticeship. It was 1800 hours but not sure if it's the same now. You don't automatically get journeyman status even if you have 20,000 hours. The only time I've heard of hours being grandfathered in is for motorcycle mechanics because it wasn't a seperate trade at the time. Still they had to pass all the tests. Once certain tests are passed I think you are good and don't have to retake them, ie/ if you pass the practical test but fail the theory portion you can retake the theory portion without having to do the practical over. I worked with a guy who came from Sweden. Very good welder but had no experience with a cutting torch because in Sweden all the cutting is done by the fitters. He passed all the other tests but without cutting couldn't get his journeyman papers. I believe they paid him 3rd year (welding is 3 years) apprentice rate which is 90% of journeyman rate. I think he practiced for several weeks and was able to pass the cutting test. You can reschedule tests within 2 or 3 weeks if you fail but if you fail a 2nd time you have to wait 3 month's I think before you can try again. Fail a 3rd time you have to wait even longer. I never had to redo any tests but knew 1 guy who got kicked out of 1st year 3 times because he was either late or missed more than 2 days. The school was very strict because there were so many apprentices waiting to get in. I started getting sick at school and missed 1 day and was 15 minutes late another day because my truck battery mysteriously went dead. I was warned I couldn't be late or miss any more time. The day I was late happened to be the only day they wanted us to come in early to do the final 2 hour theory test because of a holiday. I was the 3rd or 4th student to finish the test. I got 88%. Nobody got 100%.
If you're doing the full deal (on and off road) you'll write 2 Provincial exams and 2 Red Seal exams. Tests aren't too terrible and they give you 3 hours to get each one done. Most of us were walking out the door around the 2 hour mark. Bear in mind we all only had about 4 years/8,000 hours of experience at that point too. Someone whose been in the trade for years longer than that should breeze right through it without much trouble.
No crazy tests here that I know of to work on equipment. Problem is even ones giving tests are probably in the dark about what is really going on, doing some of the work. I worked in a few different trades and worked with many folks with tons of years experience, I could not understand how they ever got into that type of work, some just knew enough to do the job somewhat.
Generally Alberta has really good instructors in my experience. I wouldn't say the tests are easy but shouldn't be a problem if you've worked with competent people/shops in the past.
A lot of operator jobs are off limits to me as I have no certification. I looked at going to the mines in Baffin Island, and was told to get a red seal first. My father pilled wrenches all his life. They gave him his license as he had enough time working at a dealership to be grandfathered in. He did have to challenge the T&T exam when he switched to trucks.
I like the canadian/alberta system because it sets a minimum standard of knowledge and skill for tradespeople. If you can’t meet the standard, then you can’t run a shop or jobsite. If you’re not qualified, then you are either a helper or a labourer and paid accordingly. The Red Seal program just sets a higher standard than basic and lets you be able to work in other provinces. I’ve seen guys fix their own brakes and steering without having much knowledge but i cringe at having them on the same road as me
The guy that works on my rig if it's not me is 20-22 years old, has no certs, and there's not a mechanic in town I trust over him. Certs just make you pay more, doesn't mean anything. Just read the truck heating up thread, I'm guessing that guy has certs.
As far as I know if I get all my hours of work in my trade verifyed (25) years and my British city and guilds qualifications, I can sit the exam after 18 months in the country, to work unrestricted I require a skills letter from my employer in Scotland and my employer in Alberta and you're classed as a heavy equipment mechanic uncertified, at least that's the official line I've been told, but really I don't care what my title is as long as I get paid
It looks like you have to have all the program requirements completed in 18 month's in order to become an Alberta journeyman. I would imagine you can challenge the Red Seal exam(s) at the same time if required. Alberta had the highest standards in the country, at least for welding, and many who took the Red Seal test thought it was unnecessary because it was the same test as the Alberta test only 50 more questions. It was strictly theory to get the Red Seal. The practical tests in Alberta were harder from what I've heard from people coming from other province's. The B pressure test in Alberta was quite a bit more difficult but I think the tests have become standard all across Canada now so the qualifications are the same/similar in all province's. Alberta requires a trade certificate or be a registered apprentice to work in most trades. Most other province's it wasn't a requirement and Alberta wouldn't recognize out of province journeyman tickets. The Alberta tests could be challenged as well the Red Seal. Now the Red Seal test is standardized across Canada. I think the practical tests are standardized as well. I don't think the Red Seal was even offered in a lot of other province's until everything became standardized. Tradesecrets - Trades Qualifier- Recognized Credential Program Details (alberta.ca)
Becoming a Journeyman here more or less just means you've met the requirments and should be competent enough to work without supervision. You'll never go very far in any trade in this country without the apprenticeship and paperwork to back it up. Just the way it is. Earning the Journeyman license is much more involved than just passing a few 25 question tests for a piece of paper. 4 years of work and school (10 months paid on the job, 2 months at school in the shop and classroom). There's a lot of good info in the apprenticeship program. I find it hilarious that every dealer I've ever worked at the manufacturer required certain online training to be completed before being eligible for technical training and it was literally the same basic **** we all learned during the apprenticeship.
That's why Alberta is recognized as having some of the highest standards in the world. You can't really fake it here. There was a guy, who wasn't very good at english, that had someone else try to take his final exam(s). The imposter did not meet what was listed on the students bio. and was kicked out of the room. The actual student fled the country because it is a serious offence to have false/forged credentials for a required trade.
I've been in Canada once. Don't plan on going there again any time soon.
You need to expand on that. The same generic statement could be said about anywhere. Canada has its issues but 1 huge plus is the healthcare. Not perfect and a bunch of problems but if you're a citizen it's covered for the most part if you're sick, injured or in an accident. They don't check your bank account before they look after you.
Yep, you're right, it's all new to me but AIT has told me as long as I meet the hours criteria it shouldn't be a problem to challenge the red seal exam, but they can't make me an apprentice because I have verified hours so it makes me and uncertified mechanic until I pass the red seal, so I'll just do what they say and see where it gets me, I dare say the exam will be a struggle, the last time I was at college was 1994, the apprenticeship training in the UK used to be excellent and the city and guilds was a nightmare to sit but now with the lack of diesel mechanics in the UK, they are putting guys out as journeyman after 24 months training, it's a really sad state of affairs.
Hi man, what didn't you like.
I think you'll do fine. The questions make you think but if you know your stuff shouldn't be a problem. If you fail the test twice you can take a refresher course and try again. The test may be easier than in the past too. With less people going into the trades in Alberta they are making it a lot easier to get your hours. I went to a trade school and could have 200 hours applied to each year's (3) hours. Now someone who took a welding course in a reg. high school can challenge the 1st year. What a crock! A single course is about 6 weeks I think. I took welding for the whole school year. Basically 4 courses in the morning and 3 standard courses like math or social studies in the afternoon. Additionally went for work experience 3 times for 3 or 4 weeks where I was basically like an employee. I didn't go to school at all during work experience. I thought welding was quite fascinating and tried to learn as much as I could. I paid attention and it really paid off. I never had to study at home when I went for my apprenticeship training. A lot of the stuff I had already been taught or at least been exposed to. This let me focus more on the stuff that was new to me during apprentice schooling. The thing I couldn't practice was the actual welding but I had some experience so it wasn't too bad. Some 1st years have barely picked up a stinger so I had a good advantage over them. Schooling was for 6 weeks each year. Now it's for 8 weeks and a few years ago one of the instructors told me they used to teach a lot more in the 6 weeks than they do in the 8 weeks. Just making everything easier I guess.
I do a bit of my own welding out in the field but I definitely know when I'm out my depth
I think what makes a good trades person a great one is knowing their limits and when to ask for help or assistance. Knowbody knows everything although some people are very stubborn and won't admit it or ask for help.
I ask for assistance even on something I've been doing the last 15 years
If I ask for assistance, it's usually because some part of my body isn't working right. Seems to be a theme lately.
Yep, I've worked with guys in the past and they get way in to deep before they ask for help, and it's usually the guys that either have been in the trade for years or it's a fresh out of the gate journey man who has an ego problem, and I always tell them the same thing, ask, there's absolutely no shame in asking for advice on how to go about a specific job, that's how the trade works, that's why I've had 4 apprentice's that have all headed to Australia and the last I heard they're doing well, we've all got to pass it on, well that's what I think anyway
A grizzly bear could try to have you for dinner and there is zero you could do about it, for one.
Not sure what part of Canada you were in, but there are no grizzlys where I live. Some black bears. They say more people have been killed by black bears than grizzlys, and that more people die from bee stings than bear attacks. I know what you are referring to is the gun thing, but it is what it is. They tried to take our hunting rifles away, but that ain't working out for them. I was in Vermont, and an old fella was pumping gas. Started talking to me. He was 87 and still working. He talked about Canada, and asked me if I thought how awful it was how they taxed my paycheque to pay for other's health care. Not at all I said, and I know there are people in Canada that would prefer to pay for their own health care, and I know you guys don't have it, and don't want it, but I have done it my whole life, and sometimes I get depressed at them taking lets say as a 3364.11 pay, I get 2316.36, so 1047.75. 810.52 of that is tax, 184.08 is Canada pension, and 53.15 is employment insurance, but the region I live in has nothing in the winter months, so I go on employment insurance, and I get back more than I pay in. Our health system isn't the best, but I have a family dr, and I can go see him when I need to, I can get things done at the hospital as long as it's not cosmetic. My boss had to go to Florida and get surgery on his spine. Down side to our system, he would have waited years here. The Dr bill was only a bit over 10,000, but the hospital bill was over 90,000, and when he paid them right away, they sent him a bill for extra fees, that they "forgot" When he asked for an itemized bill, they said it was too late and it had gone to collections. So he's fighting that one. I'm not always in agreement, at how they use my money especially these days, nor am I on board with them trying to tax the crap out of us for not being green. Anyway I wouldn't worry about the grizzleys...... now polar bears on the other hand, don't get me going on the polar bears, and I would avoid Toronto. I'd be more worried about Toronto than bears. I didn't us the G word, or the P word, so no one else please
@Victor mcdade it's good to see someone post up about making a new start like this. I'm all but retired, myself. The medical system in BC saved my canadian brother's life with his non-hodgkin's lymphoma, and my visiting mother had a heart attack at the niece's wedding and Victoria hospital gave her absolutely top notch care. When the bill came from them, they took what her supplement to medicare offered and wrote off the rest. No complaints from my family, @cuttin edge
On the whole things work ok here. I'd really like to see more bang for my buck when it comes to the tax I pay though. I'll just leave it at that.
Agreed
You talk about tax, try Scotland 43% on the pound you earn and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
For the typical mechanic wages in Alberta (for a 40 hr/wk, non-camp job) you'd be looking at approximately 25% income tax, plus mandatory EI and CPP deductions that max out at nearly $4,800/year. Thankfully Alberta is one of the few provinces without a Provincial Sales Tax and is probably near the top of the list for low cost of living in Canada.
No matter, I'm not a kid anymore and can't throw rocks like I used to. So I guess y'all don't get the point. Okay if its not a Grizz then a big cat or a bear of some sort, or other such dangerous "animal".
I get your point perfectly, and if you need to carry in order to feel safe in your home, or to go outside, that's ok. I'm not allowed to, I don't own any, I have not hunted since I was a teen, and even then it belonged to my father. I have never felt unsafe outside, or in the woods from people or animals. I remembered when we had a serial killer on the run, and people still never locked their doors. Not a big deal, I get you, and I respect your right to do your thing, and also your fear of coming to a place that takes that from you when you are here. All good.
A big majority of people in Canada feel safe going about their daily activities and don't live in fear. People from Canada are generally much more respected in other countries as well. A lot of it has to do with Canada having a reputation of being too nice. Canada also has one of the highest standards of living in the world. We still have some crappy politicians and stupidity but overall it's not too bad. I think Victor will like Calgary and Alberta in general. No provincial sales tax is a big bonus, just the 5% GST.
I can't honestly think of an interaction I've had in my life where I've wished I had a gun. Even ran into a family of bears on a trail one day. They just wandered off the trail and I continued on my way.
I to have encountered bears and a cougar in the wild. Sometimes closer than I would like. I am not scared when I am out. I am not scared when I go into the city, even the not nice areas. I have worked in some sketchy areas of the city and grew up going into the sketchy areas with my Dad because he worked down there. I guess it is more about what we are used to and when to be more vigilant. I would not go into a dark alley but main streets are safe. I also would not wear a Rolex and walk in a sketchy area. Cam
The most I've paid in federal tax the last 10 years is around 3%.
I know a fella that lost an eye and half his face, chin etc. from a bear attack. And can be as bad walking the streets of Seattle or Portland too. Just watch the news.
I'm not making the shift for financial reasons, its a quality of life in looking for and a challenge in my trade, Canadian/British/Australian mechanics are held in a high regard around the world but in Scotland there's no progression, no encouragement, you just work 70+80hrs a week and if you're lucky 2weeks holiday a year, it's just becoming harder to get any enjoyment from it and when the Canada job popped it's head up I thought that's a future I can get my teeth into, sure there will be a lot of things and ways of working that I will need to change and I will need to do the red seal which actually frightens a lot of guy in the UK from coming to Canada but all these things are just part of the process and I can't wait
A lot of the bear attacks up here are caused by the victims stupid dog running off-leash, encountering a bear and then running back to the owner. Bear attacks around here are quite rare. We quite often get black bears in our yard and around the house but we just chase them away. We live beside a ravine so we get lots of deer, moose, and bears going through our yard. When we move next month, i will miss them
I'm sure you will do fine. My dad came from Ireland to Canada and his mechanic credentials were not recognised here. He went to the college and the instructor lent him the books he would need to study to challenge the red seal exam which he did and passed both the provincial and inter-provincial. The college may have an evening course you could take before challenging the exam. My wife and I both took courses at our college and I was amazed how they literally bent over backwards to accommodate us. I think the biggest challenge you will face will be learning to drive on the opposite side of the road.
Never thought of that one, and pants are not underwear. Biscuts are not cookies. https://www.google.com/search?q=Bri...#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:82408d8d,vid:YV_0udB3F4E
Several friends and I had a bad border crossing events on our rides, we all swore after that would not ever step foot in Canuckistan or spend any of or money there. Evidently Harleys are owned by gangs and lo lifes as treated as such. No respect or consideration shown, none to be returned. We all called and voiced our events to Canadian Tourism, meant NADA so OK and all swore off ever even flying in. I have turned down several invites from friends to go to Canada for fishing trips, not a grudge, a defined bad experience.
I've never had a bad experience going into Canada. It was always why, where, how long, any guns, any fruit and have a good trip. It was far worse coming back into the US. Came back from Victoria when the kids were young on the Black Ball ferry into Port Angeles. The jerks pulled us out of the car and took the kids off to the side asking them who their parents were. Then they search our car and gave me and the wife a lot of crap about having to have a birth certificate for each kid. We had been into Canada several times over the years before that and never an issue. After that I always believed the US border cops carry a big chip on their shoulders.
I've only visited the US once. Wasn't too bad going into the States, border guard asked a lot of questions and seemed a bit grumpy though. Coming back into Canada all they asked was if I had anything to declare, handed him a few receipts, he told me its all good and away I went.
Only been in the States a couple times. First time, crossed in Ontario. Big guy at the border with a gun looked into my soul while he asked questions. I started to wonder if I was smuggling drugs. Went through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine and crossed back into New Brunswick. It was a small crossing, and she did not even talk to us, just waved. Second time, went to Maine to pick up snowmobile parts, easy going down, but they went over everything on the way back.
One important thing I learned when they ask you if you have any hollow point ammo the wrong answer is only for the handguns. Zero sence of humor. Bad Bob
Shoulda seen the look when he emptied my pocket bottle of aspirin and antacids dumped out contents. Could not get back in bottle. Gave me a look. No stutter stated need to be smarter than the bottle. Yes, NO sense of humor.
We live 3 miles from a border crossing. We used to cross several times a month before the shut down. Most experience has been good. Been dog searched 3 times, takes a few minutes. Been called in for secondary twice going into the US, once sat and watched the boarder officers chat for 3/4 of an hour before the nice man who sent us in rotated inside and saw us sitting there. We were out in 10 more minutes. The other time, we were directed to a parking spot. the officer came out in a few minutes with travel guides, forest fire maps, cookies for the dogs and we were good to go. One never knows who you will get when you cross the border. Same coming back into Canada. Never know how it will go until you get across. Cam
Crossed the border on harleys alot. Only one time did the US border ever even open my trunk, all the other times was straight through. They never seemed to care too much even when I had a huge beard and long hair past my shoulders. Always had the max amount of alcohol/ tobacco coming back into Canada, never ever had it checked or verified. Had my covid vaccine paperwork and Canpass ready last year, also no one even looked at it.
We always roll up, shut off the truck, hand over our passports and if coming home, a stack of receipts. Saying “good morning or good afternoon “ as well seems to help. Cam
And remove your sunglasses! They usually ask to do that anyways.
I've seen these True crime shows on T.V. Canada has plenty of criminals. And they prey on the innocent as well, not just gang on gang.
Victor How did you make out? Settling in to the Calgary life style. Terry