Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scrapers for the big boys !!!!

slagpot · 2010-09-14 12:46

I found these videos posted on another forum and decided on sharing them here. The first one is a very good idea and I hope caterpillar & the patent office listen. The second one ,you might not want to have little ones in the room depending on your preference...choice language. Needless to say it is also a great idea for those mud hard to reach areas...you'll see what I mean. Caterpillar S18G YouTube - CAT S18G in action Caterpillar D57T scraper YouTube - The D57T Scraper

Replies127
  1. #1Jeffksf2010-09-14 18:01

    So what's the point of the hybrid scraper/Grader?

  2. #2Dozerboy2010-09-14 20:16

    I see no point to a S18 ya only need so many machines with a blade on them. And I think Crawler Dozers, Wheel Dozers, and Blades have it covered pretty good. There is a thread on the D57T and I love it.

  3. #3Burnout2010-09-14 20:51

    The guy holding the camera in that D57T video is kinda shakey. But even with the shake still the best camera'ing I have seen to date :drinkup The first time I saw the video for the S18 I kinda wondered....***? But now that I have seen her working I definately see the point. What happens on a day when it rains and you wanna sluff some mud over and get your scrapers running? Well a 16 sized grader is gonna be sitting there spinning... Or how about when you wanna move a little bigger windrow over for the 657's to pick up, a twin engine grader is kinda handy. How about the massive spread that beast has.. makes it nice and stable for finishing, and she's equipped with GPS makes her a nice finishing unit. The D57 has just as many benefits to its design that the S18 has. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._476823381152_514111152_6744744_7770584_n.jpg http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._475312576152_514111152_6705446_2438051_n.jpg

  4. #4Aliate2010-09-14 21:50

    Oh my god its got a ****ing tractor edit-....that was supposed to be in caps. I love vantagetes' channel

  5. #5Kman90902010-09-14 21:56

    um or get a 24M

  6. #6Burnout2010-09-14 21:57

    Ever tried movin a 24?

  7. #7alco2010-09-14 23:34

    If you want to pay for one, go for it, but this thing will go more places, do more things, and cost a whole lot less.

  8. #8AmerIndependent2010-09-15 15:02

    We tried once. Not fun.

  9. #9928G Boy2010-09-15 23:05

    I'm not really feelin the S18G. I don't think it can do much more than a regular dozer or grader in my opinion and i think that would be hell to operate. Grader is difficult enough for most people, now let's put the operator way in front of the blade/moldboard. **** that!

  10. #10alco2010-09-16 00:51

    Trust me, it's capable of way more than even a 16 size grader and is far faster than a dozer. I don't know why you think it would be so hard to operate, it's all run off GPS and all you have to do is drive it, and the GPS does the rest. One thing it really excels at, is stripping topsoil and windrowing it for scrapers to pick up. I've seen it work, this thing is an absolute beast.

  11. #11Jim Irwin2010-09-16 07:30

    windrowing! That would be excellent for that, but, how do you transport the S18? Its long!! Be too long for a lot of the floats down here!!

  12. #12Gavin84w2010-09-16 08:57

    Your kidding arent you? nothing is too long, high,wide or heavy to float downunder.

  13. #13buckfever2010-09-16 19:02

    load it on a pan trailer

  14. #14Vantage_TeS2010-09-16 21:06

    24s are designed for mine type applications with long (dry) haul roads. They don't do well in low traction situations (sand, wet material, large amounts of rolling resistance) and have a tendency to spend more time getting hauled on those type of sites. Also while you CAN articulate the frame you can NOT unlock the table and therefor are somewhat limited on the type of work you can do with it. Again like I said designed specifically for one type of application and that is long hard dry roads. The S18 is also designed for a specific job and that is going where a normal grader cannot, but cover more ground then a dozer. Glad I can be of service, there's plenty more coming including something to address the downfalls of the 24.

  15. #15Kman90902010-09-16 21:25

    sorry im just not seeing where this thing would pay for itself, its got to cost just as much as a 37 to run, wind rowing top soil up for the scrapers to pick up??? Why cant they just cut the top soil off where it lays???

  16. #16Burnout2010-09-16 21:50

    Thin layers of topsoil... windrow em up into a nice pile for the buggies to come get em, or windrow ahead of them when your busy? Ever been on a big earthmoving job? 100 000 cubes isn't what im talkin about. How about 3-4 million cubes? Sure the S18 may not be the next big thing in the industry, but it does what its made for very well. A tractor and pan, is not gonna cut in hard ground now is it? I could say that since it won't work hard ground its useless and should be wiped off the earth right? No of course not. The Holland loader is great for massive earthmoving in a big cut.... but will it cut road grade? Most likely not. My 973 is awesome at backfilling, but not so hot at laying down asphalt, should it be ripped apart?

  17. #17Kman90902010-09-16 23:19

    Why wont a trator and pan cut in hard ground??? And you keep saying that ive never worked on a big job??? Really, biggest i have been on was 9million yards, smallest around 10,000 yards. Right now im on a 1,5 million yard job. Think you better google TJ lambrecht

  18. #18Kman90902010-09-16 23:38

    7 of are 10 deere's (wasnt able to get all of them in the pic) all of are 31's with my 6 up front, i have a better picture from up on top of the fill of all the 31's amd d10's dozers blades and rollers, but i need to get home and load it on the computer

  19. #19Vantage_TeS2010-09-17 12:08

    Need some more equipment before you can call that a medium job 57s/51s/37s fleet of 31s showed up after as well as the 60 ton trucks and 4 more 40 tonners http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2970870764_b8bd46317a_b.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3025/2970823960_6147f53f87_o.jpg D10N pushcat, D10N, 850D, D10N, D5H, D6R, 385C LME, D11R pushcat, D11N pushcat, 345C L, 385C L http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2971118744_748759a4d6_b.jpg When you get close to the end of a block when stripping you run a grader over it quick to push any leftovers into a windrow, then run a twin down that row quick to pick it up, or push it over against the next block. Saves from having to drive all over the place with a scraper trying to get a load without mixing in common. The S18G wasn't designed with that job in mind although it can do it if needed. With fully automated GPS it's for blading off the wetter material found in certain Edmonton areas, which is exactly where it's working right now.

  20. #20Dozerboy2010-09-17 20:49

    I still don't really see a real value to the S18.

  21. #21JDOFMEMI2010-09-17 20:59

    It all comes down to the local conditions. Think about the horsepower and weight. Couple that with the speed and you have a killer fill machine, plus stripping, in the conditions they work in that sounds important, and plus it has finish ability. I would love to try it out. My mind is working overtime with all the things I could do on a job with it. Plus, double bonus points for how unique it is!!

  22. #22EGS2010-09-17 21:19

    I think that S18G would be great for a big scraper spread working wet areas. Like where we are working right now.

  23. #23Gavin84w2010-09-17 22:34

    Well, you don,t have to but real dirtmovers can always find a better mouse trap and this is Prarie Road builders go and they are no doubt doin it, like anything, at the end of the day there is only one person you need to please.

  24. #24Kman90902010-09-17 22:47

    i agree with dozerboy, think its a waist of time and money! And in the wet conditions we work in, you wouldnt be able to get that thing off the float before it was stuck. Yes there is silly crap that, that particular machine would excel in, and make money, but the price tag in building it dontjustify it

  25. #25alco2010-09-18 13:57

    So, you're saying you know what it cost him to build it? I'd put money on the cost being a whole lot lower than you might think. As for what it can do, have you seen it work? Once again, I think you might be surprised what it can do, and how well it does it.

  26. #26qball2010-09-18 16:37

    they all laughed at r.g. letourneau, too.

  27. #27Kman90902010-09-18 17:44

    But you have to charge it per hour on the job, how much is that? I know we charged right around 800 for a pair of 627's, so that machine around here would be around $500 an hour to run. And like u and me both said there are certain things on a job that it would come in handy to use, but then the other 90% of the time what will it be doing? Proably sitting! And i dont know what it can do so please enlighten me? And dont say windrow top soil up so scrapers can pick it up.

  28. #28alco2010-09-18 18:16

    I can guarantee you it won't be sitting. I was using the example of one thing it can do when I was talking about stripping topsoil. If it was deep coil, it would have very little use, but for shallow cover on the sides of a road widening job like this company does a lot of, it would be great to use instead of a cat, which is what they do now. Do you figure it would be better to windrow topsoil that is 4 inches deep and make one pass through with buggies to get it, or run the buggies all over the area and pick it up at a much slower rate? What they have been using it for is maintaining haul roads for the buggies and trucks. Mostly, this consists of the grade for the road they are building, so the GPS info is there for the machine to work to. You should see it go! It's running at about 3 to 4 times the speed of a grader, and therefore is replacing about 3 machines with one, that right there is a huge cost savings. Not to mention not having to pay going rate for a blade hand. It's great at leveling the fill as the buggies are dumping, way faster than a cat, or a packer with a blade, and the scrapers don't have to slow down and spend time maintaining their fill area. Speeds up production there quite a bit. It can even make trips through the cut and knock down the rough spots so the cats don't have to , and the buggies can literally fly in, grab a quick load and are gone....speeds up production there too. There are tons of things it's capable of, but I don't really feel like sitting here and typing for as long as it takes to explain it all since you likely won't listen anyhow. It's a support machine. It's not going to make money on it's own, but with the number of machines it can replace and the way it helps production, it more than pays for itself around the job. Keep in mind, this thing isn't on hourly jobs. This company bids large jobs, and then does them fast, very fast. It's not like it has a set price they have to charge it out for, but it lets them get more out of their other iron and that's where they make their money.

  29. #29Kman90902010-09-18 18:49

    3-4 times as fast as the grader? If are blade hands cant maitain a haul road in 3rd or 4th gear they get ran off and all of are blades have GPS.i dont see this machine going anyfaster then that, just watching that video and how fast its going watch the rear engine bounce around, which is very hard to control in a scraper in any gear beside 2nd, also just curious when he is using the blade does the cushion hitch have to be down? Windrowing top soil up to make one pass yes sounds very afffective, leveling the fill out, no i dont see that, unless your working in material where u dont have to use a compactor, but around here we have to have a compactor in the fill to mee compaction. And with 12 657's i would figure you would need at least 2 8's in the cut or 1 10, so they should be able to keep the cut in good shape.

  30. #3095zIV2010-09-18 19:14

    Alco, Going back and looking I see a bit of a one way streak running here: If it's not good for him, I guess it's not good for anyone.

  31. #31Dozerboy2010-09-18 19:22

    I'm listening but I don't hear anything other then pissing match over job size. Is there anything that it really excels at other then stripping? I can only speak from my experience and work environments so enlighten me. There ain't no way its close to that much faster then a blade for haul roads. Ok wet ones with heavy cuts maybe, but if your going that fast in soft stuff I wouldn't think the road wouldn't be close to smooth. In the fill it probably ain't much better if at all then a wheeldozer and you can't just though it in reverse at the end of the fill. You have to make a a U-turn which is something we have tried to avoid where I have worked. Other then that you can't angle the blade on a wheeldozer,but often thats not needed in the fill. There is tons of stuff it could to, but there is iron out there that can do the same things already. What are the specs on the S18 Hp, weight, and blade width?

  32. #32alco2010-09-18 19:34

    Remember, the video you have seen was just playing with it in some dirt to do some testing. Seeing it work on a real job is way different than simply watching the videos you have seen on YouTube. So, your graders blade a haul road in 3rd or 4th gear, so that would be around , what, 5 to 7 mph? This one runs along nicely doing about 15 or so mph, and when you couple that with a wider blade, yeah. 3 to 4 times the production would be about right. To be honest, I never even paid attention to the cushion hitch, so I couldn't honestly say whether it is up or down while running. The fills around here need compaction too, but to put the packer on leveling duties slows it down, so by not slowing it down, you increase production....see a trend here? As for the cut, the push cats don't have time to slow down and maintain the cut. As fast as they can back up, they have another buggy to push, not to mention the ripping on the way back to catch another buggy. By making a few passes through the fill when it gets to that end of the job, it....wait for it.....increases production. Yeah, that's why I think I'm going to call it a night and go to work. You can only try to explain something so many times before you realise it's obviously not going to get through.

  33. #33alco2010-09-18 19:51

    Can you show me where I got into a pissing match over job size? I gave a few examples already, and they are finding new things everyday. It's the speed it can run that lets it clobber a grader on haul road maintenance. Like I said, it's running around 15mph doing the general grading on a haul road. Now, obviously, when it gets into heavy going, it's not going to be pounding along at that speed, but for general maintenance, it trucks right along. An added bonus is that with the added speed, the buggies aren't held up as much trying to get around it. Can you explain how you turn your buggies around at the end of the fill then? I'd love to see how a wheeldozer would be as productive as a machine with a wider blade that can work both directions instead of having to back up for every pass. Of course there are other machines that can do the same things already, but instead of having to buy more of those machines, they built this one out of parts they had laying around. Couldn't tell you the hp or weight, but it has an 18 foot moldboard. The hp should be pretty easy to figure out though, it's built out of an old 637E.

  34. #34Kman90902010-09-18 20:36

    Its not a pissing match, just a disscusion. But i dont see how hes running that fastbladding the haul road, im notsaying it cant be done, but whenever i ran a 27 if you went to fast while draggin the rear engine would start to hop alot and making the road worse then it already was. I would think this machine would do the same, but being 200feet long idont know if that comes into play? Also if you have to have the cushion hitch down while bladding that make for one ruff ride at 15mph. I would either have to see more videos of it in action, or would have to see it myself. On are haul road we usualy use a blade and a box blade, the box blade can cover more area but cat quite cut the hard ground like the blade can.

  35. #35qball2010-09-18 22:00

    kman, my uncle ralph freeman, r.i.p. was a pusher at brown and lambrecht, and later, tj lambrecht. i would spend hours as a young man listening to him talk earthmoving. he was trying to indoctrinate me to the lambrecht way as being the only way. that outfit can move some dirt, but they ain't the only game in town. seems like some of these canuck outfits could give old t.j. a run for it's money, huh?

  36. #36Burnout2010-09-18 23:19

    Holy crap guys this is getting interesting. As also has explained this machines uses, some people will just never figure it out. I seem to have left my C.P.H. in my truck but what does a 16 run for horsepower 295hp? How about a 637....950hp? You ask how this beast will blade going that much faster than a 16? How about 3x the horsepower? As alco said yes this machine is an older unit, and I guarantee he's right the build cost on this unit is a lot lower than you would think. Yeah it's probably gonna bounce a bit, oh well nature of the beast. The S18 may not be the next BIG thing in earthmoving, in 10yrs not everyone is gonna have one. Prairie does though.... I know some people at a very large well known earthmoving company here that could put 95% of dirt outfits out there to shame and they have said it's a great idea on the right job. Think of some of the big outfits around.... everyone has their edge over the competition. Prairie is known for moving dirt quickly and efficiently. The S18.... D57T... 834 Special yeah they are odd looking units. You might not get the idea at first but do you need to? Yes a 16 or 2 could do exactly what the S18 has been and is currently doing, but this is how new machines come to be. Back in the day some guy with a single engine scraper and a push cat said hey... that s.o.b. could use another engine and people probably thought he was on crack. Earthmoving here is dirt work on steroids. 657's are the norm.... D10's run rampant....16's maintain roads and watch for 1100hp bearing down on em in 8th gear. The S18 has its flaws, but at the same time it's making a dent in the ground and doing it well.

  37. #37Vantage_TeS2010-09-18 23:28

    Hey so if this thread is labled scrapers for the big boys, why do you keep talking about 27s? Speaking of which, if it's costing you $400 an hour to run a 27 you're doing something majory, majory wrong. I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers, but if your figures are like how you move dirt I doubt you'd last very long around here.

  38. #38Burnout2010-09-18 23:41

    I second VantageTeS comments... and raise you a........... Unless this isn't one the big scale you were talkin about.

  39. #39Kman90902010-09-18 23:44

    The only twin engine scraper i have been on is a 27, and i dont think you get what im saying, next time you get on a twin engine, put the cushion hitch down and try dragging in 5th gear, and you will see what happens. You can even try it with the cushion hitch up, you will still get the same effect, the back motor always starts to hop and you cant keep a smooth haul road, thats what im asking here, does it do the same thing??? Yes $400 an hour is what they charge to the job for a 627, dont ask me i dont set the prices, a john deere pulling 3 pans is right around $275-$300 Thats why they like to use them, there hauling twice the amount of dirt for cheaper. Not last long, im pretty good at what i do, thats why im already a dirt moving foremann at the age of 24. My last job we moved 1.3 million yards in 4 months and made the company 6 million, when they said they would be lucky to make a quarter of that.

  40. #40Kman90902010-09-18 23:50

    Thats alot of 57's how many are there? I have worked around alot of equipment and seen alot at my age, was a foremann on a job last year where we had 9 777 with a 5230 loading, the 5230 could load them in 2 passe, we had to get one of are 11's to knock down because the 10 couldnt keep up, also had 3 more d11's and a d10, pushing rock to the 5230, and had a few other ag tractors moving dirt. I would love to work around a spread of nothing but 57's and 37's but i dont think i will get to

  41. #41Vantage_TeS2010-09-18 23:55

    Hourly rate or cost? It sounds like you are trying to guess the S18 costs $500 to run because a 27 costs $400, in which case you are playing with some pretty wack numbers. I know the hop you talk about but it's more a side to side wobble then anything. Rule of thumb for scrapers is if your GET is touching the ground you're in 2nd gear.

  42. #42Kman90902010-09-19 00:33

    Thats why i asked how much it cost to run, if we charge $400 for a 27 per hour, we would charge around $500 for that machine, and at that cost we could run 1 14m, and a box blade, and still have money left over. Yeah its more side to side, thats excatly my point, if you cant drag and go that fast in a regular scrapers how can you do it in this??? You can kinda see it start doing it in the video.

  43. #43LDK2010-09-19 07:46

    Another view!! The way I see it, somebody had an idea, good or bad is for them to find out. I can't imagine passing an opinion on it, if I had not worked with or at least along side it. There was a machine made along the same lines as that but I think it was based on Euclid or Terex scraper parts, in the late 60's or early 70's. If my memory serves me well I think they called it Big Mudda.

  44. #44fiat41b2010-09-19 14:01

    Quad track blew a track the other day $10,000 had less than 1000 hrs belonged to a friend my d8's and pans get close to 6000 hrs on the tracks yesterday 6 TS18'S paid for hauled average 90 to 110 loads each and burnt only 908 gallons fuel at a lock in fuel price of $2.00 Went to the case dealer to get a hose made seen 485 hp Stieger asked how much to rent it was $90.00 per hr. or $15,480 month no fuel or operator or insurance added and had no scraper pans included. Believe me i know how much cost is tractor and pans work great but conventional scrapers if conditions allow are faster on the fly their speeds will keep up with articulated haul trucks on the haul roads farm tractors better stay in the slow lane. I bid against TJ on this job they got third i can see why $400.00 per hr for a 627 LOL. wish i could get that, oh well new machines cost big big money better have lots of work which they always do they are very impressive to watch.

  45. #45Dozerboy2010-09-19 17:21

    Response in blue

  46. #46Kman90902010-09-19 17:30

    TJ is very impressive to watch. They moved 15 million yards down in texas in 9 months!

  47. #47Vantage_TeS2010-09-19 18:46

    A 37 is around $200/h to run and since this was made out of two junked 37s, a spare grader blade and some cylinders out of a scrapped 51 I don't see why it would cost any more. A D8 is around $180/h and can't cover as much ground but could do more heavy pushing. Since Prarie Road Builders (note the name) does a lot of road work where you are covering long distances the S18 would be a better choice, especially with fully automatic GPS. Not to mention with a project like the ring road where there is large amounts of travel here and there to get to the different work locations on the same project you save time and money on not having to float it everywhere or spend half a day walking it in third gear

  48. #48Kman90902010-09-19 21:00

    What kind of GPS is on it???

  49. #49Kman90902010-09-19 21:02

    And all the outfits i have worked for usualy charge a lil more if a machine has GPS

  50. #50Burnout2010-09-19 21:09

    The S18 was not built by Cat, neither was the D57T, both were built by Brent Engineering.

  51. #51surfer-joe2010-09-19 23:36

    A local contractor in North Dakota built some similiar rigs to the S-18 back in the late sixties based on TS-14 and TS-24 Euclid machines. They were crude and loud, and never did really catch on.

  52. #52Deeretime2010-09-20 03:22

    so where are these machines? I kinda want to start them and play... I have a cat key wonder if they left the original ignition in them ??

  53. #53Deeretime2010-09-20 03:44

    ! Now dont get all high and mighty bud, Im 20 and im 4th generation i have had an under ground spread for 3years . Done lots of dirt work with 27's and 37's small beans compared to KIDCO AND SUREWAY. I havent heard of a 27 for that much an hour before but if you get that for it and it stays busy who is the dummy then, someone running a spread of 30 machines for rock bottom prices trying to compete or the smaller outfit doing what it can with what its got for a great price, and taking it all to the bank Now as for the machine's I think theyre spectacular, Imagine the engineering they went through to create those things to with stand the punnishment and hp. I think the blade is cool and functional, our clay is dense and greasy when it gets wet, why not invent sompthing to suit your needs.I just dont know why they didnt buy the ACCO grader instead! The tracked scraper i want to se in action cause i bet it will heap it up realy good, it would shine in building canals or lagoons any thing that is tough to climb.

  54. #54Kman90902010-09-20 21:51

    high and mighty. lol ok! And yes you have never seen that charged for a machine, but then again your how many miles away from here, there are no set prices on everything. Just out of curosity what is your guys pay scale for the guys on the scrapers???

  55. #55Burnout2010-09-20 21:52

    I've heard some companies paying in the low 20's with 30-32 for finish operators up here. How about down there?

  56. #56Kman90902010-09-21 20:32

    Down here where im at now its not good $22 if you can run everything, and can finish, 12-18 for everything else, But job i came from was $30 an hour plus insurance, and pension plan, so really you were making around $55 an hour! Really if i wasnt working 70+ hours a week i wouldnt be here, but supposed to be going to indiana or kansas city next and both those jobs are union

  57. #57Kman90902010-09-21 20:36

    Do you know what GPS they are running on that scraper Trimble, Topcon or something else???

  58. #58Burnout2010-09-21 20:58

    The S18 uses a Leica GPS system on it. As for the pay.... around here you won't find too many experienced guys that are gonna work for 22 bucks an hour. As for that "so your making around 55 an hour"... that to me still says your not making 55 an hour.

  59. #59Kman90902010-09-21 21:24

    Gotta do what you gotta do, id rather move 700 miles away from my house, and make alot less money, rather then sit on my arse and draw unemployment, plus i get to do what i love. As for not $55 no ur right, its really $31 and some change, but if you add up not having to pay insurance, and also a pension its around that. Ive only been in the Union for 7 years and have over 100,000 in my pension. I will be able to retire by the age of 45, and draw $1400 a week. Leica GPS??? Never heard of it, is that what you all mainly use up there? How fast are you able to run in the scraper and the GPS keep up???

  60. #60Burnout2010-09-21 21:26

    I haven't seen too many people with the Leica system, see mostly Trimble up here.

  61. #61Vantage_TeS2010-09-21 21:53

    What are you operating right now? And yeah haven't seen very much Leica GPS, although their lasers seem to be fairly popular.

  62. #62Kman90902010-09-21 22:48

    The past few months i was a dirt moving foreman, but now that we have all the dirt moved im running a 6T XW with topcon's new 3Dmc2, but today i was on a 329D diggin out some slop, so that i can get in there with my dozer. Leica can be set on automatic???

  63. #63Vantage_TeS2010-09-22 00:17

    Sure can, and can be run in conjuction with lasers adding greater accuracy. In dual mode GPS controls where you are and the laser runs your grade. Good idea if you ask me, GPS is always out a couple cm, plus you get dead zones around lunch time where the satellites drop and you're hooped for an hour or so.

  64. #64CM19952010-09-22 00:28

    Was that job all rock?

  65. #65Kman90902010-09-22 01:04

    in LA??? Bo it was mainly all sand with a little bit of clay! Firsttime ive worked around this dirt, id have to say its a lil different!

  66. #66CM19952010-09-22 01:37

    ok, sand and clay. So you moved 1.3 million yards and made the Company $6 million in profit. Assuming a 20-30% profit margin, that means the job was paying around $14-15 per cy...:cool2 If the total revenue (which is not total profit) was $6 million, then that puts the price per cy just below $6 per cy, which is better than I have seen in good times for moving dirt.... I need to pack up and move to LA.

  67. #67Kman90902010-09-22 02:22

    $5.50 is what we are getting per yard! And there is still money to be made on this job, when we do the soil cement if we can do 2500 feet a day, we can make $50,000 dollars a day. This job was a 60 million dollar job! If you want to come down here and bid the next section of jobs by all means have at it! And when they bid this job the bid that they put in showed us moving dirt for 9 months and finishing for 6 months after that, well we moved all the dirt in 4 months and have about 2-3 months worth of finishing left, so all that extra time and money that they figured in to the bid, becomes profit.

  68. #68Kman90902010-09-22 02:27

    i guess its un heard of to make money on a job now days? So let me ask you this, we have around 12 miles of highway to soil cement and if we can cement 2500ft a day, and if we make $50,000 dollars a day how much money is that???

  69. #69LDK2010-09-22 14:31

    I'm no accountant but I figure that would be $1,268,499. If that is the profit for 25 days work, then I think some one in the government or highways department needs his ass kicked for squandering tax payers money.

  70. #70Dozerboy2010-09-22 17:17

    Got to take care of the doners how else are they going to get elected next go around? Maybe its just me, but I have never understood why some people like to go talk up how much they make to anyone.

  71. #71Cat Wrench2010-09-22 17:46

    Because the internet can make you a hero, don't ya know?:Banghead

  72. #72buckfever2010-09-22 18:51

    most who talk about how big they are most of the time are hung like a light switch

  73. #73Kman90902010-09-22 19:42

    obviously my brother has tooken over my account. Half of the things he said were not true so try not loistening to him. he was also not the foreman I was. Sorry for the mis understanding.

  74. #74Burnout2010-09-22 22:59

    Yeah I hate it when people tooken over my account.

  75. #75EGS2010-09-22 23:20

    If nothing else this thread is real entertaining.

  76. #76Burnout2010-09-22 23:26

    I have a feeling its just beginning. Buckfever.... what kinda light switch are we talkin about here? The new place I just got I mean it has those flat light up switches that only stick out 1/8" from the wall. Is that what your talkin about because I mean if so, thats just mean. But if your talkin the old fashioned ones that stick out 3/4" well then carry on with said comments. I just need some clarity on this. No ones sent me a pm, im, txt message, phone call....I did leave the window open just in case you sent a carrier pidgeon though. :deadhorse

  77. #77CM19952010-09-23 00:19

    this programming is made possible by a grant from HEF...:thumbsup

  78. #78Cat Wrench2010-09-23 00:36
  79. #79OCR2010-09-23 01:24

    No comment on this thread.... But dang... love that picture Cat Wrench... Wife would too. OCR... lol

  80. #80alco2010-09-23 14:03

    Well, I think all I have to say about that is

  81. #81OCR2010-09-23 15:29

    OK, now I have to... comment! It's getting way better... :falldownlaugh I would swear, though, alco.... That bunny has two pancakes on it's head... God, what a classic... :lmao OCR... still LMAO Oh, and by the way Cat Wrench, Wife loved the pitcure. lol

  82. #82Cat Wrench2010-09-23 17:17

    Thats what I'm here for! One more for Kman9090; Your day could be worse, you could be my daughters cat;

  83. #83Vantage_TeS2010-09-23 19:19

    Easiest way to get out of a pile of bs you just got caught on: "It was my brother on my account". You haven't posted anything but completely off the wall numbers since you joined here.

  84. #84Cat Wrench2010-09-23 19:58

    We all know this we're just humoring him. Especially if you hang around to long in one place lying on the internet.

  85. #85Kman90902010-09-23 21:13

    Well me and my brother are twins and he seems to have a big head and likes to brag and really gets on my nerves. I have an account on here just to get on here from time to time just to look around and see what new is coming out in the equipment world. As for as thinking i'm just someone that doesn't know what I am talking about we have posted plenty of pictures of jobs we have been on and things we have done. The 6 million dollar thing was just a rumor and was probably based on the fact that we have not done soil cement yet which would eat into that big time.

  86. #86Kman90902010-09-23 21:15

    Cat Wrench who do you work for around the Missouri area?

  87. #87qball2010-09-23 21:40

    kman, whatever!

  88. #88Cat Wrench2010-09-23 22:25

    I am self employed and have been for years. I used to do some quarry and mine work but for the last several years most of my work has come from farmers with Cat equipment or small operators that have low overhead. I live in the middle of the state. I try to stay with engine work but that doesn't always work especial since the big slowdown. Having been involved in another forum over the last 5 years I have seen many people that have been caught lying on the net trying to paint themselves as something they wish they were rather than who they are. The internet is faceless and for the most part has no accountability which is why it seems to breed so much of that type of "stuff". I hope you are an honest guy and your "brother" is the culprit but the truth is friend that doesn't make much sense to any of us reading on this thread or forum. It is very easy to lock someone out of your computer or certainly keep your password to log on here from a third party. Also you need to know the grammar and spelling in your posts is exactly the same, and no two people are just alike in that regards. If what you say is true I am sorry for thinking less of you please accept my apology. If it is not true do us all a favor, apologize and become a good productive member as I am sure you could add real stuff we would all profit from. I have seen some of the pictures you have posted and enjoyed them. This is your chance to come clean if that needs to happen. To the original author of this thread I am sorry for the hi-jack just couldn't help but reply.

  89. #89Deeretime2010-09-23 22:33

    There is no bragging on here because we all know what it takes to move dirt! as for the light swithces Burnout ur new one is way bigger that the old school one, havent u heard "scientific studdies have shown that its not lenght that women want its thicker and wider" (prolixus comercial on Howad)

  90. #90Burnout2010-09-23 22:36

    You've been watching our Thick N Wide video series haven't you?

  91. #91Kman90902010-09-23 23:53

    Well me and my brother are very close so I can see where our grammer would be the same. he knows the password to my bank accounts and everything else as well. (We have also been a member of a diesel forum for the past 5 years as well and no problems there.) That is why we made such a good push pull team because we pretty much think the same. he does like to brag and seems to out run his mouth sometimes and you can simply ask some of the people we work with if you ever get around them. All around we are very easily to get along with and take this busines very serious. As for if it's a diffeent person or not a moderator can easily look at the IP address and see where the post come from and that will tell you for those that don' believe me.

  92. #92Vantage_TeS2010-09-24 00:24

    So are you Tory or Tyrel?

  93. #93mitch5042010-09-24 22:17

    keep it up, fellas opcorn

  94. #94Burnout2010-09-24 23:05

    Does that mean you have pics of this 5230 one of you was talkin about?

  95. #95Kman90902010-09-25 02:40

    This is Tory that is on this account Tyrel took over. No he probably never had a chance to take pictures of the 5230 but it's over in Peabody's mine in Indiana if you wanna take a look at it. Pretty impressive may I say the least and the guys that run them in mines like that are impressive, thats a busy work day.

  96. #96Burnout2010-09-25 21:16

    Who runs a 5230 on a road job? I know some companies than run 1200's on road jobs. If your not running anything bigger than a 627 or 37.... what are the chances you own something of that caliber?

  97. #97EGS2010-09-25 21:36

    I doubt there are too many 5230's running around on road jobs. They would be way too big, 5110's or 5130's are about right for 777's. I know Big Mac had a couple 5110's at one time and Mashuda's out in PA have a couple 5130's. I have never heard of any 5230's. I would like to see some pics.

  98. #98Burnout2010-09-25 21:39

    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a 5230 like 350 ton? If your movin dirt with that kinda iron on a road job... its time for a lot more than triple 7's.

  99. #99EGS2010-09-25 21:46

    That's what I'm saying. It would a little over kill.

  100. #100qball2010-09-25 23:51

    and, silver spade II is cutting finish.

  101. #101Burnout2010-09-25 23:54

    Sweet? We have the Big Muskie 2 cutting subgrade here, and the ACCO Dozer layin out topsoil.

  102. #102CM19952010-09-26 00:00

    to the 100th of a foot, of course!

  103. #103tctractors2010-09-26 02:38

    In the U.K. we have the real big kit on road jobs,the biggest Dragline is the "Finnigan" its fitted with a 1 1/2 Acre Bucket and a Mile and a half Boom, that can dig formation "crack on". If you can get £2 a cube shifting muck short haul (1/4 Mile or less) you would be doing well in the U.K. tctractors

  104. #104mitch5042010-09-26 03:35

    Real Earthmoving Man, you guys don't know nothing, do you? In SC we'd do a job like that with a half dozen directional drills and a skidsteer. We go in with the drills and spend a couple weeks drilling very precise holes and setting very precise shaped charges; then BOOM! . The explosion blows all the material into place to a tenth of an INCH. Then, we make one pass over the whole job with the skidsteer and a Harley Powerrake to settle any errant clods, and we're done.

  105. #105Gavin84w2010-09-26 06:05

    That is the worst Burnout, no question!!!

  106. #106Gavin84w2010-09-26 06:09

    Around 320 ton Burnout, Gilbert Southern used 5230 & 789,s on a big NC road job in the states a number of years back, huge cuts and fills in rough country, 89,s with 200 ton on do a great job of compaction!! Used to be a great set of pics on some site and i was less puter literate then and did not know how to copy em and i think the site is now gone. STOP PRESS!!!! Try this http://www.kiewit.com/projects/transportation/i26-mars-hill.aspx

  107. #107ih1002010-09-26 14:22

    That's my mount there, Tony- £90/hr plus greasing plus travel plus the lodge. Damn, my brother's hijacked my account again.

  108. #108tctractors2010-09-26 15:06

    This Muck-shift has gone way off line with no hope of earning any "Folding" coins I loved the Drill and Blast method, as its all done in a Flash Blowing it on tctractors

  109. #109Per Eriksson2010-09-26 15:45

    Gawin, It's still on the net, Joh Lansford did a fantastic job documenting that job with lots of photos and almost every photo has a caption and it was very interesting following it to completion. http://a10.jlansford.com/index.html It's well worth a visit.

  110. #110Burnout2010-09-26 22:52

    You guys... are all off base here. I once... BY MYSELF moves 1.64 milliion cubes of dirt at $ 4.27 a cube in 6 weeks with a salad fork, panty hose and 5 gallon pail. You may ask why the panty hose?... Because when doing something fantastic, you gotta look good.

  111. #111Cat Wrench2010-09-27 00:53

    One time I was real tired and went to bed. I fell right to sleep and dreamt that I was eating a giant marshmallow…………………………. ……………………………when I woke up my pillow was missing.

  112. #112ih1002010-09-27 01:18
  113. #113OCR2010-09-27 02:00

    ↑ ↑ ↑ :lmao ↑ ↑ ↑​ OCR... LOL

  114. #114mitch5042010-09-27 02:16

    Man, I HOPE you wore something over those pantyhose! I once had an all-girl bikini-clad drill crew.

  115. #115OCR2010-09-27 02:55

    Damn it... thought that was a link to the rest... you know: Bah ha haah haah.... OCR... lol

  116. #116d4c24a2010-09-27 15:12

    come on then pictures

  117. #117Vantage_TeS2010-09-27 19:22

    I'm still not sure how 27s count as scrapers for big boys. Case in point, 20 series do not even come close to comparing in size or power: YouTube - Retro Videos..... Muddy Scraper Madness

  118. #118EGS2010-09-27 21:27

    That is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time!

  119. #119Burnout2010-09-27 22:27

    I was wearing a smile.... still want those pics?

  120. #120CM19952010-09-27 23:37

    Did you tooken any pictures?

  121. #121mitch5042010-09-28 00:04

    Pleeeaaase, nooooo

  122. #122alco2010-09-28 00:58

    No, unfortunately he didn't, and it was very traumatic to see, believe me!

  123. #123Burnout2010-09-28 11:30

    Who dares to click the link of me in my work attire? I promise you will like it..... For those man enough...... http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2456/226/70/514111152/n514111152_2613188_2442.jpg

  124. #124Cat Wrench2010-09-28 11:35

    Well I was going to post some funny pictures of men in pantyhose so I searched it………………………………………………………..I would not suggest trying that especially if you just ate.:Banghead

  125. #125Burnout2010-09-28 11:36

    Did you click the link?

  126. #126Cat Wrench2010-09-28 12:04

    Unfortunately, yes.

  127. #127Deeretime2010-09-29 02:05

    Oh, by the way i kinda have a problem with ppl on my acount some times my mom logs on and tells some pritty epic dirt moving stories that may not be entirely true. like the one last week when i walked into the house with my boots on and she wanted $30 per m2 to wash the floor! man she always gets her dirt prices wrong ! I paid in x's and o's by the way