Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sealing hydraulic tank hatch

LN Pipeline ยท 2019-04-25 12:59

Any recommendations on what sealant a person should use to seal the top of a hydraulic tank? I recently opened up a tank to clean it and the strainer and resealed with high temp Permatex, just cause I had some in the shop. Will hydraulic oil, specifically AW-32, break this stuff down? The fluid I drained out looked like ATF. It appears to have been previously sealed with clear silicone. It never really crossed my mind till I ordered some nitrile rubber for a diesel tank. I started wondering if hydraulic oil will have an adverse reaction with some sealants.

Replies1
  1. #1DMiller2019-04-25 15:54

    Yes it will, need to try to avoid Silicones around hydraulic systems, **** gets into EVERY thing. Use a good gasket and gasket adhesive to hold it in place is about all I will do anymore.