Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

SEC buckets

nedly05 ยท 2010-11-29 21:15

Does anyone have any experience with them? The price seems really good,I'm wondering if it's because they are junk. The one I saw looked decent.I've seen them on some machines around but never heard anything about them.Thanks!

Replies13
  1. #1willie592010-11-29 21:41

    I know they're made in China, and they make a lot of them. They're built Ok, but they are not comparable to a heavy duty bucket. They'll do well enough digging soils, but really heavy rock digging, nothing like a HD bucket.

  2. #2Greg2010-11-29 22:11

    If it is chinese stay the he-- away from it. The material is inferior to every where else in the world, their manufacturing is poor quality, quality control is terrible. No matter if it is tooth paste or construction equipment if it comes from china it is JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been there and seen it first hand.

  3. #3willie592010-11-29 22:15

    Not that I disagree with ya Greg, on the contrary, I share the same sentiments about Chinese products. I'm just saying the SEC buckets are fabricated decent. For a guy who is in a money pinch and really needs a bucket to do some digging, it will get the job done. But I would in no way recommend them for a primary money maker when you have to pound the ground.

  4. #4Colorado Digger2010-11-29 22:48

    i have a 54" sec for one of my 210's. it is not heavy duty. does it work to load trucks? dig in topsoil and clay? cleanup and grade? heack yeah it does. but i already cracked it, up by where it mounts to the main stick pin. it is a good bucket, but for clean up and loading only. i picked up a severe duty 36" 4 tooth for the 210 and I loaded the 54" easliy with a skid, now the 36" had the rear end coming up a bit. Esco, CP, Tag, I know there are a ton of other great buckets, just don't know the names. I have a severe duty on my 307 it came from a small manufacturer in canada.

  5. #5nedly052010-11-30 05:15

    I noticed an SEC tilt bucket for sale near me and the price is unreal. Like unreal enough that I could fab a mount for the wain-roy, add selector valves and couplers and still be way less than a big name brand. Seems it might be heavy enough for a grading bucket huh?

  6. #6nedly052010-11-30 05:19

    WOOOPS, I just realized I put this thread in Dozers, not sure why:Banghead Could one of the mods move it to excavators for me, I'm feeling a little Thanks!

  7. #7Greg2010-11-30 19:01

    Awwwwwwwwwwwww nedly05, we will forgive your lil ol mistake here. This is as good of a place as any to bash the quality of the chinese junk that is being sent here every day. Another thing that comes into play on the price is the chinese manipulation of their currency value compared to the "hard currencies" of the world. They purposley keep their currency value low so they can sell their crap all over the world.

  8. #8nickbowers2010-11-30 19:38

    yeah they are not bad if you look after them. You see operators smash/bash things with buckets over hear all the time. If you treat them well they will last. Nick

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2010-11-30 20:05

    I have made the mistake of buying 2 SEC buckets. They are not worth the scrap iron they are made of. The welding penetration is about what would stick a piece of sheet metal together. The steel, if you want to call it that, is very soft. I am pretty sure a Radio Flyer is built with better steel. One of mine is a skeleton bucket. My crew has used it for a total of about 40 or 50 hours, sifting clean backfill out of a loose spoil pile. The operator has 40 years experience, and knows how to take care of iron. After this short amount of time, the leading edge is scalloped about 1" deep, the cheek plates have worn thin enough they are seperating at the welds, and there are numerous broken bars in the bottom of the bucket. The sides are dented severely, and the bottom bars that were square are now round and about 1/3 thinner than when new. If you looked at the bucket, you would think it was several years old, not 1 or 2 weeks. The other one was a digging bucket. 1st job we hooked the teeth under a large rock to pull it out, and out came the floor of the bucket. The welds were one very poor pass with probably 1/8" rod. This one, with less than 2 days use, and still most of the paint on it, was pushed back into shape and put on a machine going to the auction. Someone elses headache now. I know of another one. It was 2 days old when the operator was leveling a pile to climb onto to feed a portable crusher. After heeling the pad flat, like is normally done, he looked at the bucket and the floor was pushed up about 8" in the middle. Ebven the leading edge was bent like this. This hoe had a thumb. I got on it and grabbed the spare bucket up with the thumb, and using the thumb hydraulics pushed the bucket back to straight. They are that weak. If you buy one of these after that, you need your head examined. As for those who have said they are not bad, what were you loading, cotton balls or something?? Sorry to rant, but my guys do not make a habit out of tearing up buckets. In fact, on the job we ruined the skeleton bucket on in a week, the Cat bucket has been digging for over 800 hours on 1 set of teeth. It is rocky, and we are doing hard digging with it. We have dug out rocks nearly the size of the 304 on the job with the 330, and the bucket is barely showing any wear after this 800 hours. The teeth will probably last another month.

  10. #10willie592010-11-30 21:55

    Can't argue with a fella that works them.

  11. #11nedly052010-12-01 05:15

    No you sure cant, it's tempting by the price, but maybe it'd be better to look around for a used geith or something. I would love to have a tilt bucket, but they are just so dang expensive, except that SEC one, but you get what you pay for I spose'!

  12. #12Colorado Digger2010-12-01 06:09

    my 54" sec is in the sop to be welded on as we speak! jerry does not seem very happen about the whole issue

  13. #13Greg2010-12-01 13:42

    :usaI have ranted and raved in other areas of this forum about the quality of chinese things for a long time. It is surprising how many people stick up for their junk. It is great to ahve people here telling it just like it is and what junk the stuff is. Buy American. You will pay more up front but it will out last the other junk 50 to 1.