Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Seeking advice on possible skid steer purchase.

oldtanker ยท 2013-11-13 22:59

I'm thinking about buying a skid steer for the farm. Intended work would include feeding, loading and unloading round bales at 1800 to 2000 pounds, some dirt work but nothing real heavy as I have a TLB and manure loading. Reasonable distance to dealers that have a good reputation of support after the sale in parts and service makes Bobcat, Cat, Case, JD and Kubota the only ones I'm going to look at. I would prefer used but not real old or used up. So, what's the good, bad and ugly of the brands listed? Thanks Rick

Replies6
  1. #1NHtech012013-11-14 20:44

    Why not look at a new holland?

  2. #2oldtanker2013-11-14 22:40

    Know a couple of people with New Holland's, they ain't too happy with em. Besides, closest Bobcat, JD, Case and Cat dealer is 25 miles. 35 to Kubota and 50 to NH. I know the CaseIH dealer can get me NH parts but the dealer near me isn't real quick about supporting them. Rick

  3. #3bill onthehill2013-11-14 22:46

    I have a 2005 Gehl 4640 and it does great around the farm. For your size bales you would want a bigger one than mine. Almost every farmer around here has Gehl or Case. I like mine as it is simple to work on without a bunch of extra electronic crap. There is a dealer 5 miles from your town.

  4. #4oldtanker2013-11-15 10:15

    Bill yea I've done business with them before on other things. Their service department isn't all one would hope for and being a very small dealer his prices are kinda high. I got some universal PTO shaft parts from him last year because of convenience, about 1/3 higher than if I'd gotten them 25 miles away. Rick

  5. #5KSSS2013-11-15 10:57

    Not sure what you want to spend here are some examples of the 400 series CASE machines that I think would fit what you want to do. CASE 465 - Big, heavy machines, very HD 85 hp, 3K pounds of Rated Operating Capacity or ROC (more with counterweight), vertical lift. The series 3 versions of all 400 series CASE machines have the option for pilot controls and a better cab and better cold weather starting. The CASE 445 Series 3 is also a good machine, much like 465 except about 2700 pound ROC and less hp. The 450 CASE is a Radial lift machine, very HD, big power like the 465 but with a ROC of 2450. The 440 CASE is a nice machine, and one of my personal favorites. It has the same hp as the 465 and 450, its smaller than those with a ROC of 2200. There is also a 435 with ROC of 2400. The series 3 version is better, but underpowered, I always thought, but if your just moving bales and so forth it would work. Its like a budget version of the 445.

  6. #6oldtanker2013-11-15 15:14

    KSSS, thanks. I haven't set a price yet. I'm going to have to go to the bank before I make a final decision. But I'm guessing that I'm going to be in the 20-30K range. Don't know, may just opt for another full sized tractor with mechanical front assist but I'd really rather have the skid. Just be handy to have one. Rick