So I was wondering if anyone had an easier way to remove the rod guide or gland out of a hydraulic cylinder that came off a JD 450C? It has the snap ring holding it in, there are no set screws or anything else holding it. According to my manual I'm supposed to push the gland back into the cylinder to remove the c clip. Well I can't get it to budge. Right now I have it in a press but I'm afraid to keep adding pressure to it. I've seen a video on how to do it so I have an idea how it's done but that guy used a air hammer and it went in easy for Him. I've tried that but if a press won't budge it I'm not sure what will. I'm afraid I'm going to crack the cylinder if I keep going. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks
Kinda looks like you over heated the cyl. and shrunk it. Good luck Bob
I didn't put much heat to it. Wasn't even close to glowing. I just did that about an hour ago while I had pressure on it. I've been messing with this for 2 weeks before I did that so I know heat has nothing to do with it. Just wondering if I should keep putting more pressure on it
want to bet? bob
If I could bet you I would. Like I said I didn't put much heat to it. I sprayed some WD 40 on it right after and it didn't burn it. Basically just burned the paint off
Check out this you tube video: Rebuilding a John Deere hydraulic cylinder Special Tool Req'd
I've done a half a dozen of them with a hammer and a block of wood. I don't know what's going on with yours, can you see if the wire ring is loose? is it crushed by the gland? or is the gland pushed out of the cylinder on top of the wire ring? I've always tapped the gland in enough to loosen the ring with a pick on one end, and it pulls out easy, then pull the rod out and it will hammer the gland past the groove easy enough. Destroying the oring if you don't fill the groove with the orange ring, or bondo is better. But you're replacing that o ring anyway. The piston seals will take some hammering to get out without filling the groove, but they're cheap.
The gland is pushed out about a 1/4 inch from where it's supposed to be. So total the threads are out about 1/2 inch. I can see the snap ring inside. Looks like the gland is right up against it. Doesn't seem to be crushed. I hope I don't have to replace the whole thing. I seen them going for $900.
You're not going to crack the cylinder by pressing on it. But I don't think that's the way to go about it. How much pressure have you put on the gland already? It seems like the gland would only go so far in on some, and that video was a little confusing to me compared to the older ones of a similar gland style that I'm familiar with. Also, I forgot to mention that the ring has to be pushed back into the cylinder in order to get it out of the groove to bet ahold of. I think I'd hook that cylinder back up to the machine, or a hydraulic source (paint sprayer, porta power carefully! etc.) and extend the rod with some force, then release and try to pound it back with a hammer and a block of hardwood. The 1/2" sticking out does seem a little too much, do you remember there being threads sticking out past the lock nut before you removed it? It's possible somebody has seen a cylinder crush the wire ring from overloading or some other cause. I haven't. but I've only worked on very few.