Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sent to here from the tractor forum….need help!

bswwiv ยท 2015-12-11 10:04

Have a 1999 Cat D5C with a 6-way.......and I've screwed up!! Made the mistake of taking ALL the very old and leaking lines & hoses off the 6-way, from where they come out of the frame forward. But......and this is where my ignorance got me, I failed to take enough pictures and sufficiently label the the lines and now I can not get it back correct. And......big surprise......Cat sold me the parts but will not allow any viewing of the schematic. So what I need is to know how the lines ( 6 ) get tied back into the lines/ports ( 4 ) towards the frame? Even a good picture or two would be a big help. Idiots like me point out why a competent mechanic is worth every penny he gets paid!!

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042015-12-11 10:36

    We need your serial number, and then we can get you some info. If the parts guy at your local Cat House sold you the hoses and wouldn't spin the monitor around so you could see the parts diagram, you need to complain to his boss. I've always found Cat people to be helpful.

  2. #2The Peej2015-12-11 10:37

    If you include your machines serial # I'm sure someone like Nige can help you better.

  3. #3mitch5042015-12-11 10:40

    Yep, great minds do think alike!

  4. #4bswwiv2015-12-11 10:48

    6zl0094

  5. #5lumberjack2015-12-11 10:52

    Agreed. The forum will get you taken care of with your serial number, but that's remarkably lame of the parts guy.

  6. #6CatToy2015-12-11 11:04

    My local cat parts guy will print whatever you need, even the procedures to replace parts. You can register on parts.cat.com and get access to most of the parts/diagrams but not all. Folks on the forum have access to the real SIS and can get you other diagrams as needed. Experience has taught me to bite the bullet and buy the shop and parts manuals for any equipment I plan to own. Ironrecord.Com is also a good site to get historical data on cat equipment. BTW- I think you are missing a number in your 5 number serial, i.e.-6ZLxxxxx. I could not get 00094 to show up as a valid number in part.cat.com. Someone else a lot smarter can correct me if I am wrong.

  7. #7bswwiv2015-12-12 07:15

    Went back to the Cat dealer as it turned out I was short one piece. While there the parts guy apologized for his not being able to send me the schematics digitally ( Cat corp policy I gathered and not a local dealer policy. ) then he blew up a couple of them off his computer and printed them for me. Going back to the woods to have a go at putting it back together today. I appreciate the responses and the help.