Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

serial number vs. model number case 580SK

Dabney ยท 2008-12-20 22:19

I just bought, today, my first backhoe - a Case 580 Super King. Salesman said it is a 1994 model, but when I got on the internet and started looking for a manual and there seems to be some confusing info. My serial number is JJG017 etc etc. I just read that serial numbers beginning with 17 started in 1988. Can anyone out there shed some light on this? According to some info I read the manual for a serial number beginning with 17 was published in 1988 - My check won't clear til Monday morning, so I could use some help on this ASAP!! If I've bought a model earlier than 1994 I want to get back to the dealer for some serious adjustments in the price! Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1nilzlofgren2008-12-21 10:52

    My 580K is a 1990, and my S/N starts at 27. D3 equipment, is a Case dealer in California. They have a great website, where you can see a complete illustrated parts list of your machine with every part number. I believe they also show all the manuals. from the main page, click "parts and service" than click on 'parts for Case CE." Than, enter your model number. There is a difference with serial numbers below JJG020000 and above JJG020000. This might be where the Phase 3 comes in. My 580K is a phase 3, and my S/N is JJG027XXX. (I cant remember the last 3 digits). Hope this helps.

  2. #2Dabney2008-12-21 11:59

    Thanks, it was helpful to get that D3 site.

  3. #3Dustin Mason2008-12-26 19:11

    Dabney, The "17..." information you read is true, but it is a different serial numbering system, and was used with older backhoes up until the first K's. The former method was an 8 digit (or less) number, and all the early K's I ever saw started with 17.... Then sometime in 87-88 Case changed their format. They switched to the JJG...number like yours. Hope you enjoy the new 'hoe. Dustin

  4. #4Mighty Moe2009-01-04 20:22

    Can anyone help with year and weight of a Csae 580E serial# 9077396?It's not a extendahoe,it's 2wd,and 4cyl. deisl(cummins)I belive?