I always wondered what it cost the guys in NZ to ship their grapple yarders over from BC. Do any of you know? Any of you done it? What all is involved and how far do you have to break the machine down before you can ship it?
My old boss in NZ has done this a number of times. I never talked in to much detail about this with him, I wish I did. I think the last machines he had imported were back in around 2002, an 171r and an 009 I think. I would also like to know the costs.
Maybe you can ask a vessel agent to confirm it. Usually it will not expensive for sea delivery. I do export heavy truck spare parts to other countries, as I know, it's not difficult.
From memory my old boss said NZ customs wants the machines really clean.
As I understand it, there's been a few machines going back the other way lately.
Every Country that I know of wants the machines ultra clean. They did not want invasive species. Even small insects/bugs can be an issue. Speaking for Canada, usually if the machine was washed, but there's still debris in hidden spots like the undercarriage, belly pan, Customs will have the machine cleaned again at the expense of the importer. If the machine was not washed at all, it will likely be sent back to the exporter at their expense. If the exporter/importer do frequent transactions, and everytime the machine is dirty, it will be sent back at the expense of the exporter. After seeing the devastation that invasive species can do, I think its a good idea. Just make sure the exporter cleans the machine in and out, and gets all the hard to reach areas covered.
I've prepped a few for shipping. They do have to be cleaned. Shipping costs were based on cubic footage. Got a spar tube sticking out the front and cab on top? Total height of machine x total width x length to the end of the spar equals your cubic feet. Much better to break it down, strip off anything sticking out and pack it inside the machine or as a seperate peice. That said I don't know what the costs were. I just pulled wrenches and that was beyond my pay level. d.d.
124 Grapple yarder is about 50us all cost included... there also may be transport cost to port if not in Vancouver!
50K is the number I had in my head. There seems to be a pile of grapple yarders for sale in NZ no and most of them are in great shape. I guess i was wondering if it was worth while for loggers in BC and the Noerthwest to bring them back but it sounds like some are already doing that. NZLOG, I see your old 6280 is back up for sale, its a really nice machine!
It is about $25-30k USD to get a swing yarder (122-123 sized) here from NZ and $50-55k USD to ship one to NZ from the NW.
It previously sounded like logging in NZ was going well. Are there yards full of used GY's about because of a slowing down, or is it so good that new machines are going out as replacements?
I wouldn't say there was yards full or yarders looking for a home, but there is the odd one parked at the moment. Looking at things from this end, I figured things must have picked up in the PNW creating demand for yarders to go the other way.
dont know what the cost is but the yard i work in has a 124 that was rebuilt and was to be sold to NZ but things never went through or something so i believe it is still for sale.