Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Should bucket pins always be fixed to bucket?

4lane · 2021-03-13 09:10

Are bucket pins supposed to be fixed/bolted to the bucket so they rotate only in the outer bushings of the stick/dogbone/thumb and don’t rotate inside the bucket holes? Or should pins rotate freely in the bucket holes? I’ve seen both ways but there must be one right way, yes?

Replies4
  1. #1John C.2021-03-13 09:48

    I don't recall seeing a bucket on any excavator that rotates on the pins but it all depends on what the builder of the buckets wants.

  2. #24lane2021-03-13 10:54

    Yeah I don’t see how a rotating pin on bucket wouldn’t just wear the pin and bucket hole pretty quickly.

  3. #3JPV2021-03-13 11:23

    As long as anything that can move is lubricated it would be ok, I have never seen a bucket that the pin rotated in. They have always had a keeper bolt to keep them in and keep them from spinning.

  4. #4lantraxco2021-03-14 00:57

    There were some, but on those the bucket had bushings just like the end of the stick. Add a thumb and you're off to the races, one pin, six bushings.