Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is this switch for? And Hy Trans Ultra or TCH for tranny?

Rocketsled ยท 2012-10-21 10:18

Again after searching tooo long for this using this forums inefficient (can't search exact words/phrases) search engine I have given up and decided just to ask. On my 580 super e with 4in1 there is a switch mounted on left loader boom in a hinged housing. There is a metal shaft that seems was once in the housing that would trip the switch in a certain position. This shaft is now bent in a perfect semi circle and just hanging there. I am guessing it has something to do with return to dig or just a bucket position indicator. If I straighten the shaft out and reinsert in the switch housing am I asking for any other troubles? Anyone have any idea how this happened in the first place? Also, going to replace transmission fluid soon and was going to get Hy Trans Ultra but my mechanic friend said this would be a bad move and stick with TCH. I thought I read here somewhere that it was recommended over TCH even on the older machines. Is there any merit to his concern? Thanks again!:notworthy

Replies4
  1. #1digger242j2012-10-21 12:09

    Yeah, and you also can't search for items composed of three characters or fewer. (Like a lot of machine types, i.e. "580" or "D8".) That's ok. Asking questions keeps everybody else awake. This comes up from time to time, and some of the best advice ever posted on the subject follows: As for your question... I'm not intimately familiar with the 580se, but I just love Case's online parts catalog. Here is a picture of the return to dig parts page. Is that it? If that's not the parts you're talking about, well, at least I hopefully got you in the neighborhood. I'm sure somebody else can get even more specific...

  2. #2Rocketsled2012-10-21 14:05

    You nailed it Digger242j! That is the exact switch I was wondering about. Also thanks for the search engine tip...I found the problem with the 3 characters of less when I was searching for my all time favorite file...PDF. Now if someone could chime in about the tranny fluid question.

  3. #3sheepfoot2012-10-21 14:09

    Yes the left side is return to dig, you can straighten it and put it back. The one you need to check is the right side bucket self leveler. It has two bellcranks one at the top near the loader arm and one below close to the hyd valve cover. These need to move freely to adjust the bucket angle while raiseing and lowering and can cause your issue with the rtd rod.

  4. #4Rocketsled2012-10-21 15:18

    Ok, so I just realized I screwed up in the first post. The RTD switch is actually located on the left side(inside) of RIGHT loader boom. Sheepfoot, I think my self level rod is ok. I am attaching a couple of photos though 'cause a pic is worth a thousand words.