It's what most of us first operated but Ya'll want to know what my gripe has been recently - trying to find a shovel that is worth a damn. All you can find are the cheap Made in China throwaway models at the big box stores. I don't mind paying more for a quality American made shovel that will last - it's not going to get much use from me anyway. I have two shovels in the back of my truck - both long handled, one round point and one drain spade for cleaning tracks. Both have fiberglass handles as the wood ones deteriorate to rapidly in the sun/weather. The round points handle is already coming loose from the spade and the other one is as flimsy as thick alum foil.:bash So where can you buy quality hand tools like we used to have? Lowes, HD and TractorSupply are obviously out of the question. I don't mind paying for quality if the quality is there.:usa
I think I remember seeing some quality shovels on "How its made". One of the reasons I watch that show is because they usually show high quality products. You can usually catch the brand name in the show somewhere.
X2 I've had ok luck the the more expensive ones at HD/lowes. The only USA manufacture I came up with from a quick search was QPI Tools.
Wanta talk about flimsy? Let someone run over one of those fiberglass handles with a truck... but they still look good.
Gemplers.com has a very unique selection of all sorts of hand tools, linseed oil works wonders on a wooden handle as well. We get Caterpillar brand track spades for all the machines and sometimes shovels, they have a yellow solid plastic like handle and are VERY stout. Best of luck in your search.
for a regular round point shovel.. i hate to say it, but i buy the cheapies. they either get run over or lost after awhile so who cares for $3.97 a piece. for specialty stuff- www.amleo.com every shovel known to man regards, cd
I agree on buying the cheepies for the crew because that's what happens to them.:bash However, for my personal shovels that stay in my truck, I am looking for something that I can keep many years.
now I can see why you would want nice one's regards,cd
Quality shovels are rarely purchased these days, one is the price; two, the guy in the office usually doesn't know the difference. shovels are probably the most misused tool there is, well except for the screwdriver. They are a pry bar, prop, lifting tool. First thing in the pick up, everything is then piled on top of it. Always left leaning on a piece of equipment, broken when the equipment moves. ________________ We did have a guy show up on a job once, all his shovels had been taped about a foot from the metal. This was a Corps job so that was an immediate red flag for the inspector, told him to get the broken tools off the jobsite. He tells the inspector they aren't broken, the explains the tape. They were Craftsman shovels, the tape was to protect the name of the shovel. I guess back then Sears also warrantied their shovels,also. Now Craftsman stuff is starting to show up with "made in china" on it. Plus you are seeing more and more Sears tools, rather than Craftsman.
I get quality shovels at one of my pipe suppliers. Maybe you use them too CD. It's Grand Junction Pipe. They are Structron and I think they are made in Japan. They have fiberglass handles so they can be destroyed if crushed. For me the down side is that they are hollow. This is only a problem because we usually use the butt of the shovel to haunch the pipe. Eventually the back handle will get a hole in the end (they are made from foam rubber and are thin) thus exposing the fiberglass end. Splinters are the norm at that point. Other than that they are a good shovel. GJ had trouble with Structron for a while and they started to sell the Corona brand. They were also a pretty good shovel. They had some sort of red, solid plastic handle. It was more flexible than the Structron fiberglass (not as good for prying) but they could withstand crushing better and the solid handle design would also hold up to the haunching much better.
I buy Quality shovels at my Ditch Witch Dealer. alittle more expensive, but last many times longer.
See I hate a sovel that weighs a ton, like the rozorbacks... 4x4 For a handle and 1/2" plate for the spade... Since I don't really wat to use it very much anyway, I too subscribe to colorado's school of thought. My other peive about shovels is that too many are bent too much at the end, thats fine for a flat shovel that I'm going to clean the trailer or road off with, but the dirt digger better be almost straight. Apparently when americans make shovels, it gets expensive, like $60 per shovel, but they will throw in free shipping, and they are on sale to $45 http://www.barnyardproducts.com/product/BULLY-72515
I work for the DOT..not really fussy about what type of shovel I lean on..lol..sorry, had to throw that in there...
Do you have an Agway store in your area? Otherwise, try one of the small local hardware stores (if there are any left). You might find something decent at a Do It Best or an Ace hardware store. The box stores have a great selection of tool replicas, but they don't stock a lot of actual tools. Amazon has pretty good tool prices. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...rds=union+shovel&sprefix=union+shovel,aps,368
There is a Ditchwitch dealer next to the Cat dealer a couple of miles from the shop, I'll stop by and see what they have. I like to keep a long handled drain spade for cleaning tracks and the one I have now, the handle is splitting. You know, I don't mind spending that much for a shovel that will give years of service. I guess I am just tired of throwing away cheap made things... I have yet to find a shovel that has one of those soft rubber tops like crutches have but if I do, I'll send you the link. Although I want a cut out of all the ones the Dept. will order...:tong I don't think we have Agways in the South although we do have an Ace around the corner. I'll check them out. Yeah the box stores just have "throw away" tools...:bash On the topic of "cheap stuff", is there anything at Tractor and Supply that isn't made in China?
Fiskars (the same company that makes pruners and garden shears) makes a line of shuvels that are all steel, light weight and have a life time warranty on them. Retail is around fourty to fifty bucks I believe.
I had a fiskar shovel. Was to heavy for regular diging but in harder ground or something you might have to use a digging bar for they are nice. Ours lasted a while till the spade snaped off the handle. Guess we could of welded it back on but we ended up throwing it away. We do have a husky shovel that has lasted use a while but i'm not sure if thats because its a good shovel or if it's heavy and no one wants to use it.
Many many moons ago i was working for a irishman; laying 6' sewer pipe and i was working in a trench using a shovel. a voice above me said. Fill the back of the shovel boy, the front will fill itself ! !
I like the Union Razorback shovels. No matter what it seems that I have to use a shovel a lot and like the angle these have compared to the others. They last a couple season for me so it is worth the money I think.
I like to look good leaning on my designer shovel.
Lol
Crafstman still warents their shovels and rakes that is mostly what I have. I have never been questioned when returning one but have had some strange looks like how the blank did that happen. For $20.00 bucks and free replacement it has been worth it. The new ones a little heaver and holding up better but the old ones have a better feel. I would not be suprised if they are made in china I would rather buy American but at twice the price and a hard time finding one I will take the warenty.
I get good ones from my local Ace hdwe, but you better be prepared to pay, 'bout $40. On another subject, I hate Tractor Supply, I can usually beat there prices in a real store, and don't bother calling and asking if they have something before you drive 25 miles; they'll say they have it, then when you get there, they don't know what it is.
There's a company on the web LEE Valley tools that sells a couple good lines. a little pricey but you have options. I bought the Stainless spade with steel/fiberglass wrapped handle. seems to be very sturdy. to each their own. I just needed a good one as the ground I have to dig in is very rocky. LeeValley tools.com, I think.
I've had good luck with the red fiberglass handles from my local Ace Hardware. They give me free replacements! They're not cheap but then again , I haven't bought one in years ! They do seem to last though :drinkup
You know I don't like Tractor and Supply as much either. I heard the term today that sums them up pretty well - " The Wal-Mart for farmers." I have a local Ace, I think I will give them a shot. They are very helpful and I like doing business with them. I didn't know they would also give free replacements, thanks for the info Dirtmonkey.:drinkup
The guy at ace tells me as long as it is a legit " break " not abuse ( like having grouser marks down the handle ) that It was covered buy the life time warranty. It has been so long that I don't remember the actual wording so be sure ask about the warranty. I don't want to give bad info
No worries, I know the folks at Ace and I will ask them the details.
We havent bought shovels in years we have about a dozen craftsman shovels we bought on closeout from K-Mart for $2 each, a few years ago but Sears still warranties all their shovels rakes etc. so yeah we just keep returning them when they break or get worn out, no questions asked and I do believe that they are still made in the usa
I don't think we have Agways in the South although we do have an Ace around the corner. they sell pretty much the same thing as the box stores
The shovel shown on the TV show 'How it is made' is a Garant, they are made in Quebec and are very good. http://www.garant.com/html/en/produits/sousFamilles.php?idFamille=1000000&idSousFamille=1000000
Hey CM, did you ever get a new shovel? You know summer is just around the corner ! Good time to "BREAK " one in ... ointhead
Yeah I did.... I bought a wooden handled Corona at a pipe supply house. I think it was $16 and I got it because my fiberglass handled one finally crapped out on me. Bought it in a pinch and actually it may be the best shovel I have used. The shape of the spade really cuts through the ground, plus being cheap I can afford to loose 1 a year. Back in the "good ol' days" I could afford to loose them all the time.:tong Although the quest still remains.:cool2
:dizzy:duhPetty sad when when shovel and goodole days are in the same paragraph ! Lol
LOL! Ain't that right!