well its cold out there my truck is a 99 ford 7.3 diesel 6 spd 2wd and im sick of the price of fuel an costly maintenance. I have an offer to trade for a 79 ford 3/4 ton 400 4 spd new tires and in decent original shape plus id be getting a snow mobile an arctic cat 700 fuel injected 2 cylinder picked track. would I be crazy to trade for a truck 20 years older and a sled or would ya just keep the diesel. I don't pull much with it ever but I do haul wood im wondering if it would be a fair trade and how many of you guys would do it.
No way, your 7.3 gets about 18mpg empty? That 79 Ford will get 7 mpg I think
The 400 was a junk engine, low compression, low horsepower and gutless. The block was also prone to cracking in the valley. I'd pass, or plan to swap in a 351 Windsor. My '81 F-350 got about 10mpg with a 351 Windsor I put in, mileage was worse with the 351M which is a 400 with a 351 crank in it.