I have a lot of 4-8'' trees to remove and digging them out with the backhoe was taking too long. We have a batwing mower so I took an old blade, sharpened it and cut just the sharpened part off. Welded it onto a graveyard bucket so it digs into the tree like a chisel. Cut the tree about 3' about the ground and slide the bucket right over it, curl the bucket and it comes right out. Thought for sure I would have bent it by now but it works great, just have to wiggle it a little on the bigger ones, don't want to work the hoe too hard. Excuse the ugly welds, I used my tig machine and couldn't get a good angle on the torch or filler rod. Just figured I would share, this forum has helped me so much.
Pics
Can you post more images? It's not clear where you welded the chisel onto the bucket
It took me forever to figure that out too, he's got it from every angle though. In the third pic the knife is perpendicular to the stump and 4" from the top.
Yes, I'll update with some more pictures tomorrow. Like Delmer said, see the square 4x4 tubing on the bucket in the 3rd picture? Its welded to that, on the other side, at an upwards angle to it digs into the wood.
Thanks. I can see it now