Not a welder so need some advice. I want to know if its possible to weld a alloy fitting to a plate of stainless steel ? I wont be doing the welding , just want to know if the 2 metals are right to join by welding. And if yes recommended welder,Mig,Tig ? All and any repliesw appreciated.:notworthy
Have never done it myself but I am sure it could be brazed on fairly easily to form a permanent bond, as for welding... from what I remember there are special ways to do it with friction welding being probably the easiest and explosion welding being the hardest.
Yair . . . Garrie Denny They cannot be 'welded' in the true sense of the word although I believe some low temperature solders are available to achieve some sort of joint, typical applications would be tubing in refrigeration/air con industry. Some remarkable composite materials are available where a high grade alloy sheet is explosive bonded to a stainless backing. Such materials can be welded with conventional techniques. In (for instance) a salt water environment dissimilar metals in contact can create corrosion problems. Cheers.
I hear you scrub,&ronsii,thanks for your input. My project is to make a new cover/inlet for my excavator hydraulic filling plate. It is currently made from flat plate steel with a 180 degree tube this is bolted to the top of the holding tank, trouble being there is no ball valve or cap you ca remove to top up the fluid to the tank,you have to un-doo 10 bolts to top up everytime you need 2. (B.S.) I see you can buy filler tank butt pieces,with screwed caps which are for alloy tank applications on boat tanks im guessing,but noe in stainless-steel. I have a nice piece of stainless plate 8mm I want to use. looks like I might have to go alloy. thanks for replies.
Garrie, Stauf have filler caps made for hydraulic tanks, no welding required, just drill and tap some hole for the screws and hole for the oil, wala job done.
Tones:Thanks for your input, just saw some filler necks for water fillers for boats on Ebay also. I am starting to see the sunrise...........through the brigaloo fog,
It can be brazed. I did some a long time ago when I did my welding tickets. Look for a company that does specialist welding supplies like Alloys international and Eutectic.
hastelloy w Can be used for welding dissimilar metals together but don't think it will work in your aplacation. Very expensive
Thanks for all the ideas guys,im going to KISS and go all alloy plate and filler neck welded,no drama stuff,(Getting 2 old for drama) thanks for the replies.