im looking at a skid steer and have some questions, im not sure if they are general or brand specific? im looking at a 2000 new holland with about 2500 hours, comes with a smooth bucket and forks, standard ROPS open cab, aux. hydro, 2 speed, tires are about 70%, they are asking 13,500 for the skid steer. i looked at it on friday and think im interested in it. the fluids look good, no major leaks, blow by is minor, all pins are worn but not sloppy or loose, it has orgional paint and no obvious structural repairs. basically every thing seems in check for a machine of its age and hours, but im not extremely familar with skid steers and this will be my first purchase. i do have a few questions about it. first is with the bucket, when raised off the ground if i bounce in it (im 6'6" 260-280 lbs), the hydraulics move about 1/2 - 3/4 inch, is this a problem or normal? second question is, with drive controls in full forward the left side seems to run a bit faster than the right in low, when in high it is the opposite right side is a bit faster than left. either way is not extreme, but is noticeable, and easily compensated for. is this typical or a sign of a future problem? third is when i switch from high to low, or low to high, i dont notice much speed change. how noticeable should it be? it has tons of power and no problem turning the tires over on pavement when pushing against a immobile object like a curb. any help would be great, thanks in advance, otis here are some pics of the machine http://www.use.com/2639ad2f633d87041696?p=1#photo=1
Looks to be in good shape for being 11-12 years old. As far as the loader arms settling a little, that does not seem quite right to me, perhaps get a good load of dirt in the bucket and lift it up about half way and see if the arms can hold the weight. There might be a valve that is a little weak. Even if that is the case, not a big deal. As far as the two speed engagement, my 440 is soft on the engagement, my 465 is abrupt. As long as it actually does engage I would not get excited about that. I am not sure how fast that machine is supposed to go in low and high speed. Someone should have that spec, my guess would be 5-6 mph in low and around 10 mph in high. If you have a smart phone or a Garmin GPS you can map exactly how fast the machine is traveling and compare that to what the spec is. Usually if one side is faster than the other it is an easy adjustment, but why it fluctuates from one side in low speed to the otherside in high speed is wierd. I dont have answer for that. It appears to me that machine was used for loading trucks or some type of lift and carry application. I would say thats a pretty good find.
its not that the loader arms settle, its more like cushie or spongie, for lack of a better word. when i bounce in the bucket the hydraulics compress and bounce right back. it lifts weight just fine. good idea about the gps. i think its a good deal and hope it will be a good machine, i dont want to regret my decision.
As long as the bucket does not settle under weight, I think its operating normally.
ksss, thank you. i appreciate your insight.
well i bought it this afternoon, and played with it a bit this evening before it got dark. this is my first piece of equipment and so far so good, i like it and am happy with my purchase but only time will tell. does any body know where to go to get good service manuals and operators manuals besides the dealer?
Ebay! - Good Luck! :drinkup
ive been watching ebay, and nothing for the ls190. my new holland dealer wants about $50 for the owners/operators manual, $150 for the parts catalog, and $350 for the service manual. i dont want to spend that much, but will if needed. i would like to have them sooner than later. i was lucky enough to develop a healthy hydraulic leak this weekend, and havent found the culprit yet. any ideas on downloadable manuals that may be a bit cheaper, but still have all the info the paper backs would? then i could just print off what i need when i need it. thanks in advance.
You can see the parts book on-line. Go newholland.com - click on construction - select country - click on parts & service at top of page - the click on visit parts catalogue - type in model & go! I would copy & paste the link, but they seem to time out & then no longer work......
Good Evening, I am new to this forum. I have several questions about New Holland Skid Steers. This thread was started by the original poster requesting info on New Holland. I thought that perhaps I might be able to get an answer to a question about my loader. I recently traded my big light materials bucket for a Hydraulically operated snow blade. Even though I have read my manual and it tells how to release my right hand control so that it can move left and right and engage the auxiliary system to operate the cylinders on the snow blade, I for the life of me can't seem to be able to make it work. I have a 1999 Lx885 New Holland. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom...
on the right control stick under the pivot point you will see a small pin (approximately 1/4") that sticks out. work it back and forth and apply a healthy amount of downward pressure. The pin will slide down and allow you to activate the auxillary hydrauilcs. If they haven't been used in a while the pin may seize and need a little lubrication and a couple light taps with a hammer to start moving. My 95 8875 was the same way when I got it. Good Luck John
John, Thank you for the reply. As I am presently wheel chair bound, my neighbor read your comment and went out and in just a minute, he had it working just like it should. Now we should be able to push snow with the best of them. Now we just need snow. We are in the 40's all this week and the snow is disappearing fast, I guess that won't break my heart. I could stand and early spring. Have a good day. Tom...
Otis, the L190 is a big machine. Should be a nice rig for you.