Hi folks, Looking to buy a skidsteer. Looking for recommendations. Machine will not be used everyday. But will be used for snow, land clearing, grading, soil sifting, ground in our area is far from sandy, lots of stone, rock, elevations. So given all this, What do you guys think is a good machine that accepts attachments well and easily are connected. Not looking for a new machine. We have a ford 555e backhoe. So hoping to start to round off our equipment with this as the first pc. Tracks? Tires? Would like a enclosed cab. Thanks.
I'm a big fan of track machines. For a used skid steer it's hard to beat a bobcat t190, t250, or t300. I'd stay away from the newer models (t590 etc..). The quality really suffered after Doosan bought out Ingersol Rand.
Thanks. Gotta say. Bobcat has the most confusing number identification system that could ever be created. But I would imagine one of the easiest machines to get parts for.
If it has a t prefix it's a track machine. S prefix is wheels. Generally the higher the number, the bigger the machine until you get to the newer models that are 5xx, 6xx, etc.. So a t190 is a medium sized track machine similar to a cat 259. T300 is a large track machine similar to a cat 289.
And 'A' prefix is wheels with all-wheel steering. Little switch on the overhead lets you switch between that and conventional skid-steer mode.
Hi flow auxiliary hydraulics are good for mower attachments if you plan on land clearing with this machine
I would go with a tracked machine with - high flow cab hydraulic quick coupler (preferably ) with out DEF stereo (maybe) I have a cat 289c and like it.
I'd steer clear of late model Case CTL's...if you go the CTL route I love Takeuchi...heard very good things about Kubota as well. No Terex, Takeuchi wheel machines...Deere's are imho hot garbage across the board. 400 series Case machines are good...especially series 2 & 3's. Bobcats were good, but the later ones supposedly have issues. Cats are supposedly good...but honestly I can't ever tell about Cat equipment because so many end users will lie about it because they're so invested in the Cat brand. I've had guys tell me 'oh I've never done anything to my Cat whatever' then you'll get the real story from an operator or buddy.
For ease of boarding depending on how young and "springy" versus older and creakier like myself and have slipped off the step in wet clay slime and loaded myself unceremoniously at speed into the bucket... I am all over the JCB... love that side entry!
Do you own one? I sold one with 1000 hours to a customer from my past company's rental fleet to a couple guys with the same thought pattern as you have. Frankly I hate all things JCB but they painted me in a corner...they were buying the cheapest one between what we had & a Volvo that's the same thing that was in Dallas. I 'won'. These guys had a super clean 2500 hour Bobcat that was too small but in excellent condition. I figured if anyone could get away with a JCB it was these two guys. Fast forward 4 months later when their nephew, a lawyer, sent a letter offering to shove the JCB back up our ass sideways in court if we didn't take it back voluntarily. Ownership did. It had been in the shop 3 1/2 of the 4 months. They'd spent thousands hauling it back and forth under warranty. JCB, Terex, Lu Gong....never.
No kidding! No I have never owned one and have only used one in very limited fashion. I was enchanted with the side entry and visibility however. I rarely run a skid steer however we have a number of New Holland vertical lifts.They seem to wear like cement. They just go and keep going. I find them very blind however once again I don't spend a lot of time on them either.
The early Kubota SVL90's had troubles. I had a new one that launched the hydraulic pump @ 200 hrs. Dealer put me in a new SVL95-2S and have had no troubles. Very powerful machine. The nice thing about Kubota is they stand behind their machines. I have run Kubota tractors and excavators for 30 yrs. The new Bobcat T-300 I owned was a good machine (Kubota engines) but they had trouble with the electric over hydraulic control handles going bad, and the dealers wouldn't warranty them. I liked how you could turn off the auto leveling for the bucket, which gave a little more power to the forestry mulcher when lifting it up to cut the tops out of trees. Kubota doesn't offer this feature.
I have had good experience with a Gehl 6640 but I am not sure when they quit making them. I don't have a cab so I can't speak for the quality in the door windows and AC. I have worked on a few different brands and have developed the opinion that I would never buy a Deere or New Holland. If I were buying I would consider that amount of computerization in the controls, the amount of linkage in the lifting arms and the maintenance on them. Tracks are better ,but will cost more to replace and can will come apart with age just like a tire. The quick attach locking mechanism can vary greatly from brand to brand and in my opinion most of them can give you problems sticking and or wearing. I do a lot by myself, so when I have used cab machines I get pissed when I need to leave the bucket raised a little and get out to do something, but can't open the door because the bucket is in the way. I have 3 friend who have Kubota SV75 and really like them, but neither one of them really work them hard.
I have service experience with the Deeres, Gehls, New Hollands, and Bobcats. The Deere and Bobcats are nightmares to work on for me. There isn't a lot you can do to them without having to pull numerous things to get to an area, so the costs of repairs are typically expensive. The New Hollands are better for access but the dealer here rarely has any parts stock. The Gehls have been good machines. I have a customer that has a Gehl RT210 and it has worked more than the newer Bobcats and Deeres he has...........combined! The serviceability of the Gehl, in my opinion, is by far better than any other I have seen.