Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Slight poping noise when changing forward to reverse

godinez575 ยท 2011-09-03 15:59

I have a 580 sm and when I go forward stop and put it in reverse im hearing a poping sound any ideas?

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2011-09-03 18:21

    Popping is an unusual description of a noise..... Is it a single POP or multiple POP? Did it do it before the oil changes? Fact that it is doing it fwd to rev - check all driveshafts, wheelnuts, rear axle mounting bolts.

  2. #2godinez5752011-09-03 18:35

    Just a single pop It did that before and after all the fluid changes the good thing almar is that the brakes stoped sqealing after the fluid change

  3. #3Tinkerer2011-09-03 20:09

    I have seen driveshaft universal joints make that sound. All of them were caused by not greasing them. Most of them had to be replaced.

  4. #4godinez5752011-09-03 20:41

    Just got done chekin them out they feel pretty tight

  5. #5alrman2011-09-04 02:01

    Thought of something else godinez - is there much play at the front axle pivot? If you raise the front wheels so they are just touching the ground - get out & rock the front wheel/axle fwd & back - sometimes they need another spacer fitted to take out excess movement. That would make what I call a CLUNK than a POP, but still worth a look.

  6. #6willie592011-09-04 11:38

    If it only does it in one direction, going from fwd to rev, no noise vice versa, be sure and check engine mount isolaters.