Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Smallest shovel?

Clawed Backster ยท 2009-10-31 06:27

Just curious, anybody on here know what the smallest regular production "steam shovel" type of shovel was? I don't mean a really old actual steam powered unit, but something built just prior to hydraulics taking over. There is a fairly small one resting in a city park near here that probably weighs about 20,000 pounds. I think it is a Hanson.

Replies6
  1. #1Buckethead2009-10-31 10:27

    Bucyrus-Erie 10B? Or one of the small part swing jobs made by Austin-Western or Bay City. If I can find a pic I'll post it.

  2. #2rch1012010-02-11 20:11

    Before I became an Operator, I bottomed basements under an LS-58 Link-Belt Cable Hoe that had a 5/8 CY bucket. It was very fast. At least twice as fast cycle time as any 3/4 CY. The concept of buying that machine back then was to beat the Operating Engineers requirement of an Oiler on machines 3/4 CY and larger.

  3. #3TSK4152010-02-14 13:13

    Did you get any pictures of the shovel? Osgood 200 weighs 33,000 lbs +/- 1000 lbs

  4. #4Contract Logger2010-02-14 13:59

    Here's a little BE in Skagway, Alaska, a 15B maybe? cool pics anyway. Lots of old iron abandoned all over AK, mainly because it costs a fortune to take scrap anywhere. Not much ever gets scrapped, just left behind.

  5. #5td25c2010-02-14 15:42

    smallest shovel It's not a steam shovel but it's small.Made by the"Hoar Shovel Co." in the mid 1920's. http://pdcbank.state.nj.us/state/darm/links/images/sznor001/SZNOR001-109.jpg

  6. #6Robert19742014-03-03 19:40

    B & E 10B it has a 3/8 size drab, bucket and clam