Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

smoking 1979 allis chalmers 715 d series backhoe

Joseph Zep · 2023-07-29 22:22

I am looking at a 1979 Allis Chalmers 715 d series backhoe. It's a heavy smoker. This will be my first backhoe so I have more questions than knowledge. That said I read a post somewhere that said to change the piston rings you would remove the pistons from the oil pan. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Replies17
  1. #1Coaldust2023-07-29 22:29

    Say what? Hello Mr. Zep. Welcome to the HEF. Great to have you. Everyone needs a good backhoe. Some new rings and that ol’e AC will be diggin’ holes in no time. They don’t build them like that, anymore.

  2. #2joe--h2023-07-29 22:56

    Pistons come out the top, pan comes off to unbolt the rods. What engine is it? Joe H

  3. #3Delmer2023-07-29 23:57

    Tractor data says it's a perkins 4-236, seems like the D-15 or 17 maybe had the same engine so that jives. A very well regarded engine for it's day. Should be as cheap and easy to find parts for as any. A worn engine is far from the worst thing you can run into on a backhoe. And being running lets you check out all the functions correctly. Might even clear up enough with some heavy use. That being said, an Allis backhoe is an odd duck, you won't find many people here who know anything about it's peculiarities. If it's all standard parts, then it may be fine. I'd be extra careful that everything else works correctly before talking price, and the price should reflect that it's an orphan. Hydraulic hoses and cylinder seals are easy to find. Transmissions and valves can get expensive. Simple gear pumps are easy to substitute usually...

  4. #4Joseph Zep2023-07-30 04:45

    Thank you

  5. #5Joseph Zep2023-07-30 04:46

    Thank you. That is what I thought.

  6. #6Joseph Zep2023-07-30 04:47

    I have to check again about which engine it has.

  7. #7Joseph Zep2023-07-30 04:55

    Thank you for this information. As far as the smoking clearing up the owner had it running for awhile & when I asked how much oil would it burn if working a day he said a quart. To me it sounds like a lot. I check an auction site & saw that the price these sold for were as low as $3200 to $7500. The machine was kept outside & not used much for the past year, not banged up, typical rust. Do you have any idea of a fair price it should sell for?

  8. #8joe--h2023-07-30 11:43

    For a machine that needs an engine overhaul and is an orphan too, very little. If it's a Perkins that is fixable, but anything else goes south you may have some expensive yard art. How are the tires? Pins tight? Leaking fluids? Brakes work? Need a seat? Gauges work? Hour meter says what? And the big question, can you overhaul that engine or will you have to pay someone? If you can do the work AND it's cheap enough it might be worth having, if you're not capable of doing an overhaul I'd stay away from it. Joe H

  9. #9Joseph Zep2023-07-30 15:10

    It is a Perkins, seat is good, I do not see any leaks. tires good. bar that connects to ball joins loose. Owner drove it and lifted the buckets. I am going back to give it a better once over & drive it myself. I did ask if he could raise the unit with the hoe & bucket & he said that is abusing the machine.?? I have seen other operators do that to show unit has power. Like I mentioned this is all new to me. He is asking $7500 which from what I have seen older John Deere, Case & Dynahoe go for in my area. Just cannot get to them quick enough when they look good for that price.

  10. #10joe--h2023-07-30 15:15

    That's not abusing the machine. Given that it need an engine ohaul and is an orphan, at $7500 you'll regret it. Sooner or later, but eventually. Joe H

  11. #11Joseph Zep2023-07-30 15:19

    That's what I though but was not sure. With the little information I posted, will have more this week, what would you offer? This will be for personal use, not for hire or plowing parking lots in the winter etc.

  12. #12joe--h2023-07-30 17:11

    Pictures would help, but if you get into the engine you're going to have $1000 in parts when you're done. I would offer him $3500 & if he says no, walk. You'll be ahead later. It's 44 years old, who knows what's waiting to die next. There are hundreds of threads on here from people who bought that odd ball turkey that just needed a little bit of work and wish they'd never seen it. Joe H

  13. #13Coaldust2023-07-30 19:42

    Mr Zep, Have you considered getting an old giant excavator? It’s what all the cool kids are doing nowadays. We have a thread on it. Homeowners buying old giant excavators? Wonder what the world will be like when everyone is a construction equipment operator, HVAC repairman, computer repairman, hardwood floor installer, brain surgeon, dentist, landscaper, politician-oops forgot everyone already is that, chef, well driller, college professor, lawyer, pilot... HeavyEquipmentForums

  14. #14edgephoto2023-07-30 20:59

    Buying something to fix is one thing but buying an oddball is another. You will be forever spending time trying to get information, parts or adapting stuff to work. Just find a Cat, Case or Deere. I picked up a Cat and am glad I did. Information is readily available and pretty much every part is available. Seems Case is too. I would expect JD parts are available but I have no clue. JCB seems like people have trouble finding parts and info. Do you want to work on the machine or work the machine?

  15. #15joe--h2023-07-31 01:34

    This just turned up today, HeavyEquipmentForums another I just bought it and now it's broke. Same thing is waiting for you. Clearly this poster knows nothing bout nothing, but he's about to find out. Don't be that guy. Joe H

  16. #16joe--h2023-08-02 10:59

    And the new owner for today is --> HeavyEquipmentForums New owner is looking at a potential $3500 pump problem, this is a relatively common machine, not some oddball from 40 years ago. Joe H

  17. #171693TA2023-08-03 07:05

    AC backhoes were on par with Dynahoe, and Clark of the day. Very antiquated by todays expectations but will still dig to China in a hurry just like something modern. They never were a real popular machine as the JI Case stanglehold on the market was not going to be broken for a long time yet. The driveline in them is very easy to work with but parts are getting to either be made, or rebuilt as COTS parts are getting scarce. BW built the shuttles, Usually Clark built the rears, and as you know a Perkins engine. I believe the transmission was also a BW product but cannot remember for certain. Good in their day, and parts are still supported, but not from the local parts outlet. I have two fresh rebuilt 4.236 Perkins diesel engines at the shop. These are OEM Perkins parts rebuilds and I'd sell one that would fit this tractor "right" as really have no use for it. The machines they were for are gone.