Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Smooth vibratory roller for CTL?

One guy construction · 2019-01-25 10:05

Looking at buying a 72" roller to pack in dirt roads on our property. Question is do they work well and how hard are they on the arms of my machine or do they do a good job of not trannsfering the shock back to the machine?

Replies6
  1. #1bpwelding20052019-01-25 20:03

    I’ve been wondering how well these work also, hopefully someone here has some experience with one.

  2. #2Tags2019-01-26 10:22

    Ok, I had one, I bought it used, lightly used, scrapers were barely worn, paint hardly faded or scratched up. I paid about half as what they cost new. When I got it I checked to make sure the exciter tube was full of gear oil and changed the gear oil in the exciter tube at that time too. I thought it would be a great investment and time saver being that I grade a lot of gravel drives and prep a lot of new driveway areas and would eliminate the hassle of bringing another dedicated roller to the job. I used it on a Kubota SVL90-2, and it is supposedly to be used by placing the loader arms in float position and then the roller does the rest. It worked well for the first few jobs, then I noticed while using it the roller had shifted over to the right side and was rubbing the side plate of the unit. I disassembled it to find the bearing on the non driven side had grenaded and completely destroyed the exciter shaft. I think the oil seal failed and dumped the oil into the center of the roller so I never saw a leak. The cost of the exciter shaft was around $1800.00, more than half of what I paid for the unit. I found a machine shop that cut the shaft and rewelded an end on it for $400. Plus I had to buy all new bearings and seals for another $300 or so, I slapped it back together, tested it and immediately sold it for what I paid for it. My opinion is that they work good, but they are not very durable. I always see them for sale. I went back to a dedicated roller but have contemplated getting a plate compactor for the skid steer, I've seen them and read a few reviews but I'd really like to talk to someone with some real time with one. Sorry to be so long winded, just wanted to give my honest thoughts, hope it helps...

  3. #3KSSS2019-01-26 12:47

    I have never owned one but I have heard over and over the same issues that Tags mentions. The only one I would buy would be the one made by MBW. https://www.mbw.com/products/compaction/roller-compaction-wheel-attachments I researched them to death three years ago. This was the one that I found was built heavier without the bearing and failure issues that Allied and the others have. They don't give them away, but by far better than anything on the market. Take a look at them if your serious about buying one.

  4. #4Hysert2019-02-07 20:04

    OP... I have used them several times!! Not as good as Typical rollar but overall decent!! If your not using it weekly or monthly just rent one from bobcat! They dont hold up as mentioned and for the price of new or used with break downs a rental is cheap think I pay $200/day... otherwise get a dual drum if your using alot...

  5. #5FWD2019-02-17 20:06

    I have had a 72" Bobcat that I bought at an auction 13 years ago. This one has the pads so it is not smooth. I needed and wanted a smooth drum but I got this one. I don't use it a lot, but it works great for me on a T190. I have had no trouble at all. It works best with little pressure on the boom. I feel no vibration in the CTL, however if someone else is running and I stand near it you can feel the ground vibrating. If you are compacting a garage pad or something similar, go back and forth angle and cross ways works great. Also when you get to the end and you have a slope, you can drive down that and compact too. Also no reversing the drum. I like it for what I do. FWD

  6. #6DoyleX2019-02-18 07:02

    I use this type on my skid. Grease it once a day and it goes. Weighs 5k on the drum