This unit has about 6000 hours and I blv they are original tracks. Ive owned for 13 years annd 3000 hours and I minimize walking wherever possible. Anyhow tracks now are inclined to find a resting spot alongside machine from time to time. Usually at inconvenient times.Maybe twice a year on a bad year,no huge deal. I made rock guards for the centre of track frame which helped a lot. Step on the pads and the links wobble quite a lot. New track time I was thinking then I measured pitch and ,as I had suspected,its pretty much at new spec. 154 cm or 6.06 inches give or take a mm or so. So I guess the bushings are worn on the outer sections but good in the middle. Is this pretty common for excavators and what do owners usually do in these cases? I suppose running tracks tighter woulkd help? I generally run them a bit on the loose side I guess,maybe half an inch more sag than spec.
That era machine had some problems with the tracks ,mainly ldler bushes failing and tension springs breaking. Another place to check track wear is to look at the sprockets. If they're worn bad it's because the chains are also worn
Good day Many operators will remove a track link to get the most from an undercarriage, I suggest this is best policy to run as long as you can and then replace all moving parts. 6000 hours is a good result I guess you do not spend so much time tracking on the job site. Kind regards Uffex
I have pulled a link out of each side and made them run until you could see the pin. I usually run them a little tighter after that. They also tend to come off easier when there is a lot of room for the idlers to move around in the track frame pockets. If you take a link out, the adjuster will have to be collapsed which will mean the idler is back in the less worn area of the pocket. I would also measure the pitch over four links. Tracks get snakey from internal wear.