Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snorkel tba50r drive issues

472man · 2018-05-02 09:00

I picked up a classic/antique 1986 tba50r which worked pretty well for about a month but lately it has exhibited 2 problems. The more minor issue is that voltage is slightly low on the starter solenoid trigger wire from the basket. 11.5 volts as opposed to 13ish volts when using ground controls. The second issue is that sometimes it will refuse to go in fwd or reverse. Every other function works fine and it might be coincidence but a couple times when I was holding the drive joystick and would boom in it would then drive. But once I just held the joystick in reverse for more than a minute and didn't do anything else and it just started driving and worked all day. Im somewhat electrically dumb so any help pointing me in the right direction would be great. The wiring on this machine looks phenomenal for it's age. There are 2 replacement jumpers in the basket control box but they aren't loose. I looked at the harness in the boom and can't see any twists or tears or splices at all. Should I look for ground problems or could a faulty boom switch cause this? Thanks, Blair

Replies5
  1. #1472man2018-05-02 17:50

    Had some time to work on this and figured out that I don't have power coming from the joystick, I removed the wire from the joystick and used a jumper wire on the correct wire going into the boom harness and the lift took right off. The joystick says oem controls and Google says it's a js3 style. Can anyone help with troubleshooting the jostick and circuit board? Of course once I hooked the wires back up the joystick works so far....I love electrical issues! Thanks, Blair

  2. #2southernman132018-05-02 21:38

    Maybe call snorkel. They might help you. All I can say those 80’s snorkels were very reliable machines. We had a bunch of em and rarely ever had to go out in the field and repair them.

  3. #3472man2018-05-03 15:56

    Replaced both microswitches on the joystick and it works again! Hope it stays working, southernman thanks for the advice, if this doesn't don't I will call and see if they are any help. Half the reason I bought this machine was because they have a good solid reputation and I am barely qualified to work on a simple machine. I can't imagine troubleshooting a new computer controlled one

  4. #4southernman132018-05-03 20:53

    Glad you figured it out!! Most of the time it is a simple fix and yes the new ones are a nightmare!!

  5. #5472man2018-05-03 21:24

    Thanks, I just used it for a couple hours without issue but time will tell. Now to figure out the last of the little hydraulic fitting leaks!