Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Snowmobiling With a D8H today

TimT ยท 2017-12-13 15:07

The old girl jumps piles too!!!!

Replies7
  1. #1Metalman 552017-12-13 17:29

    Even with no blade on that looks like fun. Nice machine there Tim.

  2. #2Bls repair2017-12-13 20:49

    Even more exciting with a big lake at the bottom. Ask me how I know .

  3. #3kshansen2017-12-14 09:05

    A couple time I was expecting you to hit one of those cars on the road, or have them panic and end up in your lake!

  4. #4ol'stonebreaker2017-12-14 09:52

    If you're gonna run her in the snow you need to cut holes in the track pads to let the sprocket teeth push snow out so the tracks don't wind up tight as a fiddle string. Mike

  5. #5Hobbytime2017-12-14 17:23

    I went sideways down a snow covered hayfield in a komatsu D-58. .I found the right spot and elevation where gravity meets 15 tons of steel on frozen ground...and tracks dont hold no more....it was a ride and as soon as getting back to the house a change of underware..lol...that was the first and last time I do that..and it was all for cutting sledding trails in the snow on the hill...

  6. #6TimT2017-12-14 17:35

    Not on those big ones you don't. If anything run the tracks loose. I have NEVER had a problem with big tractors in dry, cold snow with slack tracks. I would never cut shoes on a D8. And I have been running them for years. On Small machines, yes sir, snow pads make a big difference. I won't be running that thing too much in the winter, although for fun, thats the time of year to play... less or no ground damage and its easy to clean tracks. This 8H is my toy.. truly only a toy to play with.

  7. #7DMiller2017-12-15 20:04

    You want fun, have a friend with a old drag line call you to come and help get unstuck. Dead of winter 5 inches snow and slick track American. Got it unstuck, he pulling with his 955H until the cable said enough and with tracks locked down the hill we went, did a 90 degree side slip at the bottom of the hill with a half boom section on it. Once I got my shorts dragged back out from sucking them up my AZZ I went home for a change. We did NOT touch that slick track POS for the rest of the winter!!